Forums Latest Members
  1. James Harper Jun 25, 2013

I have a 1975 9-carat gold Omega Automatic. I have owned it from new, and it is still cosmetically near new. Four months ago it stopped running several times daily. At first it would restart if shaken, but soon it would not even restart. So I sent it to the UK Omega centre at Southampton. and at great expense they thoroughly overhauled it and returned it a month ago, running beautifully and no longer stopping. However, it now gains consistently 8 seconds daily (nearly a minute a week).

I know we must not expect quartz accuracy from this type of watch, but is there any guidance as to how much gain is normal and to be expected and accepted? The repair is still under its one year warranty, but I do not want to send it back for further adjustment if that is unreasonable.

I would be most grateful for any advice as to what level of accuracy can be expected from this type of watch, and if it is a simple matter to correct it. In my case I would have to send it back for fine-tuning.

James
    Suffolk, UK

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jun 25, 2013

I wouldn't have an issue with 8 seconds a day.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 25, 2013

What movement is inside? I can tell you what Omega specs are for the movement, but my guess is that this is within specs....in particular for a vintage movement.

Have you tried storing it in different positions overnight? Some position will run faster or slower, so you can often "regulate" the watch by what position you store it in overnight.

Cheers, Al

4. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2013

Neither would I. Depending on the caliber, that's could be anywhere from pretty damn good to almost within chronometer specs and it's a 38 year old watch.

5. James Harper Jun 25, 2013

Many thanks for the speedy and encouraging replies. It looks as if I can stop taking the pills in the knowledge that the watch's performance is within what might be expected for its age? I think I will try the suggestion of trying it in different positions. I'll start with not wearing it in bed, where it probably gets warmer than is good for it.

Omega (UK), in returning the watch post-servicing, recorded that its serial number is 38533***, the "watch reference" is BL1625422, the movement type is "OLD MECHANICAL CALIBER , and the Collection is "OLD COLLECTION".

Any further thoughts gratefully received.

Best wishes,

James

6. ulackfocus Jun 25, 2013

Pics would be helpful.

I cured myself of the accuracy anals by buying watches without second hands. :p Got a few like that - 2 Eternas, 2 APs, an Omega....