Forums Latest Members

How much of Speedmaster is swiss made

1. listy Nov 16, 2016

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2016

We live in a global economy. According to law, as long as 51% of the watch's value comes from Switzerland (including labor costs), it can be labeled SWISS MADE.

EDIT: if you REALLY want a true Swiss Made watch, look for the Geneva Seal.

Now, why you only asked about the Speedmaster instead of Omega watches in general is curious. You do know that there are other watches besides Speedmasters, right?

(@Archer - just more proof of my theory. ::facepalm2:: :rolleyes: )

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  3. Uniqez Nov 16, 2016

I think it doesn't really matter, as long as they keep to their 50% to put Swiss made and keep the quality up to Swiss standards I am OK with that.
    It's like an iPhones are assembled in China, but who cares?
    Nice article though.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

4. korenje Nov 16, 2016

the article also mentions that everything of omega watch is made in switzerland except ruby bearings and straps.

w.finkenstaedt likes this.
  5. Riviera Paradise Nov 16, 2016

@listy thanks for posting:thumbsup:

Wow...this is a great and very frank interview from the Omega CEO in the FT. I think this bit clearly gives an indication of the future path chosen for the Omega brand:
    -------
    Overtaking Rolex “would give me the greatest pride”, says the Swiss Mr Aeschlimann, who joined Omega in 1996 and became vice-president and international sales director in 2001, having run the brand’s operations in Spain and the US. “But while we would very much like to be number one, what we need to do first and foremost is to work towards giving customers more confidence. And those customers are the people of Generation Y, the ones in the 20-40 age group.” Mr Aeschlimann’s opportunity — much like everyone else’s — is millennials.

“They are the ones who are supporting us because the people in the 40-60 age group remember us from the time when Omega was selling crap,” he says, referring to a period during the 1980s when the brand had all but abandoned its mechanical watchmaking heritage in favour of an extensive range of quartz-powered models.
    ---------

I would argue that the watch brands with the biggest potential for growth amongst the millennials are Nomos (clean, understated and dry sense of humor in its marketing campaign, a bit of an anti-hero approach) as well as resurgent Tag Heuer (love him or hate him Biver does know the watch industry better than most and seems to have identified the smartwatch trend better than his peers). I think this FT article offers some interesting insights as to why Omega has become more "colourful/bling" since Basel 2015-2016, offering multiple variations in the XXOTM range + new PO black.

Ending on a more positive note, good to see that Mr. Raynald still values the Speedmaster brand so much...hopefully we will have something pretty spectacular for the Apollo XI 50th anniversary!

Cheers,

RP

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  6. w.finkenstaedt Nov 16, 2016

Yeah, I was going to say... every Swatch Group production company is in Switzerland except for the Glashütte companies (obviously based in Germany).

All leather straps come from Camille Fournet, who has an amazing history of leather goods, and is based in France. Not sure with Mr. Raynald means about jewels, as Comadur is located in Switzerland and they make all of the synthetic rubies, but he may know more than I.

And it's been apparent that Omega is targeting millennials since the DSOTM came out, maybe even before that (46mm PO has been around since 05-06?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riviera Paradise and delmarco like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 16, 2016

What, they are not made on the moon anymore :cautious::cautious:

8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 17, 2016

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 17, 2016

The Geneva seal does not require that parts are manufactured in Switzerland, only that assembly and adjustment is done in the Canton of Geneva...and of course there are many other requirements, but origin of parts is not a factor.

This bears no resemblance whatsoever to your primary complaint, but nice try anyway. If the OP starts the thread asking about a Speedmaster, he's clearly not interjecting it into a thread where it doesn't belong. So stop being a whiner...:rolleyes:;)

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2016

Wow, I did not know that - thanks!

Just saying it's always about Speedmasters no matter what the situation. :D In the World according to Speedmaster Fan Boys, every innovation made in the history of Horology was done so the Moonwatch could be created in 1957.

delmarco and Speedmasterfan88 like this.
  11. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 17, 2016

Btw... Dennis are you a red whiner or more a white whiner kind of person? :whistling:

12. ulackfocus Nov 17, 2016

I go both ways. That must make me bi.

13. photo500 Nov 17, 2016

I can confirm that at the very least the latest Seamster PO and Speedmaster bracelets are made in China

14. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

Yes Sir. I read somewhere about imported components or assembly of parts in China but cannot find the link . I personally have NO problems at the notion of Swiss Made Chinese parts on board. China is Malaysia's biggest trading partner & historically Malaysia shares a very unique bond with the PRC

Seamster ? I didnt know Omega employed tailors from China too......[emoji1]

So what are your thoughts about Chinese components in Speedmasters & Seamasters @listy ?

kkt, GBTRIUMPH and Riviera Paradise like this.
  15. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 18, 2016

I have no qualms with Chinese "stuff"... As long as I am not charged Swiss "money" for it.

kkt, lando, meganfox17 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 18, 2016

Cam you please cite a source or provide the evidence backing this up?

w.finkenstaedt and M'Bob like this.
  17. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2016

Why not? Donald Tump does. :p

My autocorrect often tries to take that "A" out of Seamaster too.

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. listy Nov 22, 2016

The reason I asked about a specific watch is because companies produce different models in different locations.
    Have you been to the Levis store lately - one model of jeans as this http://chinaatemyjeans.com/?p=244 article points out, are made in the small African country of Lesotho - which I did not realize.
    Others models are made in Turkey. The Levis website typically does show where the jeans are made - I like the transparency . Another surprise, 1 pair of pants - the jean material was made in South Carolina -highlighted with a special patch- but it was cut/stitched and assembled in Mexico.

Not an issue with manufacturing in different locations globally, but with such an expensive product as an Omega watch, I would like to have better visibility and understanding -- like when you purchase a car, the window sticker specifies where the main components are made and final assembly. Parts origin is important to me.

Ralph Lauren's premium brand RRL is inspired US Western Wear. But all except the Jeans and I believe the boots are made outside the US. Seems very odd as the inspiration/pattern and the very high price would imply made in USA. Some of the RRL jeans use Japanese made material and some US materials .

Agree with the comments that it does not matter where it is made, but for me if made in a low cost country - savings should be passed on to customers. I like choice and transparency. I am okay with production in other countries but I should be told where and the price should reflect the lower costs - like the Levis model. When things are made today in America/Canada/Western Europe I know the laws there generally protect the environment - no dumping of chemicals in the soil (the past was very different - with Henry Ford and even Silicon Valley dumping toxic chemicals everywhere) and the employees have better legal protections such as no child labour. What I do not like is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Sandwich used by companies.

19. Uniqez Nov 22, 2016

They are outsourcing different countries for production to make more profit. I don't think they would ever lower their prices and tell you: Well the parts were produced in China and watch were assembled in Hungary, so we'll cut our profits for your satisfaction.
    This is the point of outsourcing, to lower the production and manufacturing costs without affecting the quality of the item (not always though). iPhone is a great example. How many times they were pulling it apart and say the actual cost of the gadget is roughly $200, but it sells for way more than that.
    As long as they have enough of Switzerland made components to put Swiss made on the dial they would never lower the price.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

20. GBTRIUMPH Nov 22, 2016

I have noticed my Apple MacBook wants to replace Seamaster with SEAMSTER. That is likely the source of the word.