Forums Latest Members

how much of a fail boat is the trilogy series?

1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Jul 17, 2019

i'm not saying i don't like them, or that i don't want them, but man,...how much of bath are peeps taking with them?

-3500+ doesn't rally translate into LE. they seem to be everywhere, heavily discounted pre-owned and new from a very high opening msrp

i thought there would be more of a deeper market for them, but it seems limited and niche driven...at least for 3500 examples of each.

imo these would have been gobbled up if their pricing wasn't so high.

NGO1 likes this.
  2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 17, 2019

Can't you look at the For Sale prices and figure it out?

Well, you probably cannot do it for all owners all around the world. In some countries the purchase prices were a bit below what people in the US paid. It is always possible for some people with tight connections at ADs in countries where not a lot of watches sell to pick them up for a decent discount from MSRP. So even if they are listing one at a price $1,000 below the going US prices they could still be break even, or maybe making a little.

The reality is most new watches are like new cars -- they lose value as soon as you walk out of the boutique. There is a misconception that all LEs go up in value. They do not. At least with some they do not even get back to MSRP in the used/ reseller market for years.

This is part of the intrigue around the Apollo 11 50th... Will they drop for a while and then crawl their way back to MSRP over a few years? Will they just steadily rise without dropping like the much more limited Silver Snoopy?

Fusion, marco, rominvicta and 4 others like this.
  3. Poday Jul 17, 2019

I don’t know that they could be called a failure at all. At least when it comes to the speedmaster and Seamaster, omega seems to have sold every unit they made. That’s a success. Are they a failure for flippers? Possibly, but who cares?

I bought a speedmaster 60th a couple months ago and I love it, and have no plans to sell. If at some point I do, I’ll likely get what I paid for it, so no loss there. And even if I have to sell it for less than I paid, I will have gotten a couple years of enjoyment out of it, so any loss on a sale is just what I paid to use it for X years. If you’re buying new watches with the intent to sell, you take on the risk and own the loss. If you’re buying because you want the watch, how can you lose?

4. JPE.88305 Jul 17, 2019

You have to consider it was a LE of ~10,000 pieces when counting all 3 together...ie it wasn’t a LE limited to a particular line so volume was fairly high overall.

Also one of the more faithful homages to some fairly infamous pieces—I actually am inclined to pick up the railmaster and speedy at some point down the road to complete the set, something I didn’t set out to do initially.

5. 8100_RPM Jul 17, 2019

Personally, I think the Speedmaster 60th did well as they were well liked and there was good demand for them.

The Seamaster 60th was a mixed bag as people seemed to liked the classic look but it didn't quite live up to the hype in terms of sales.

As for the Railmaster 60th, they are still available for sale on Omega's website. ::facepalm1::

Railmaster Trilogy.JPG

6. Evitzee Jul 17, 2019

Saw the triple set for sale at an AD in early April.

7. Poday Jul 17, 2019

I think the railmaster was a harder sell since it doesn’t have the same “brand recognition” the Seamaster and speedmaster have. Add to that the lack o any feature beyond telling time, and its clearly the least attractive of the 3. But tepid response to certain LE models happens from time to time. That god-awful speedmaster 40th is still in stock at my local OB...

What honestly surprises me is that omega doesn’t pull these unsold models from the OBs after some time. They could easily be parted out to make service parts, and getting them out of their own stores would at least maintain an air of solid sales.

LeonDeBayonne likes this.
  8. petay993 Jul 18, 2019

I have been watching UK pricing on the Speedy version and I would say they have bottomed out at mid £4k with prices creeping up.

It is surprising to me that these are not more highly sought after, maybe a bit too dainty and niche to appeal to the mass market.

The Railmaster is surely becoming a bit of a bargain at £3,500?

amiriqbal and padders like this.
  9. LeonDeBayonne Jul 18, 2019

I have little doubt that these watches, at least the speedmaster 60th, will be highly sought for at some point in the future. Beyond the fact that these are really superb watches, they are the only option to get almost the original at less than 7 K€ - an original ck2915 in good condition fetches more than 150 K€ nowadays.

10. Enzo Jul 18, 2019

If the website shows current availability, the Seamaster and Speedmaster are also not sold out...
    SM300le.jpg
    SPle.jpg

11. Enzo Jul 18, 2019

May be different in the UK, as none have the 'add to basket' button
    RMle.jpg

12. Wivac Terribly special Jul 18, 2019

This topic has some convenient timing, the 57' Speedy was my original target purchase / intial foray into Omega territory proper.
    I swerved and went down a different route(s) however I was looking at the pricing of it again only yesterday , pre-owned vs New and was surpised the pre-owned price was so high, is that a simple numbers game? Or propped up by the age of the pieces / warranties still active?

13. LeonDeBayonne Jul 18, 2019

14. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 18, 2019

No that doesn't show avaialbitly. In markets where Omega sell over the net, if you can add it to your cart it is still in stock somewhere, if you can't it isn't. The pages you show are for markets where there is no direct selling so it doesn't indicate stock status. The link 8100rpm showed is a direct selling link and does show stock, the subsequent screen grabs do not. My understanding is the the Trilogy Speedmaster and Seamaster are now gone but there are a few RM still in the network somewhere.

Edited Jul 18, 2019
  15. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 18, 2019

If yo mean the 2 register model with the 9300 movement, the '57 loses buckets over retail. It was over priced by about $2K to start with and the secondary market punish them. Take one of those to Watchfinder or the like and be prepared to wince at the offer, it'll be less than 50% of the full RRP.

*Edited to add in clarity about which model I am referring to here*

Edited Jul 18, 2019
    Wivac likes this.
  16. Wivac Terribly special Jul 18, 2019

Ouch.
    Maybe one day, as with so many watches , it will swing back around to be a loved 'ltd', guess it has a way to fall first.

17. Enzo Jul 18, 2019

I was offered the speedy by my local OB only a couple of months ago, It was only 2 numbers away from my seamaster but I could not take it at the time. I will pop in to see them again next week for a chat and see what they have.

18. astrand Jul 18, 2019

The speedmaster is beautiful and will be a collector item down the road. I just wish I had a lower msrp.

19. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 18, 2019

Just realised we may be talking at cross purposes. Are you referring to the 2 register 44mm Speedmaster '57 released a few years ago, or do you mean the trilogy Speedmaster. My comment about resale was referring to the 2 register piece, now replaced by the Speedmaster Racing. I like the look of those but they take a bath at resale. The trilogy Speedmaster is actually firming a little but still has a way to go to get back to the original retail.

Edited Jul 18, 2019
  20. janw23 Jul 18, 2019

This is what happens with LEs and a culture of flipping, following the wake of the Snoopy and Speedy Tuesday bubble. I have no doubt a lot of the Trilogy being flipped were purchased above market during the hype of the initial release. Then, no surprise, all the flippers are scrambling to sell the bottom a few years later. IMO, the same cycle is going to repeat with the 50th anniversary release (with the exception that I think prices will remain suppressed for the 50th, because it is an awful design with no heritage).

That said, the Railmaster was going for £3.3 - 3.6k from quite early on and the Seamaster is going for around £4 - 4.2k these days. The Speedmaster pre-owned, at least in the UK, has been holding above £4.5k consistently from day one - and that's around 90% of MSRP, which isn't bad at all.

Although, I admit it is unusual walking into a boutique and still seeing the Trilogy Railmaster or Seamaster on the display, I don't think pricing it lower would make a substantial difference - it is simply not the most attractive modern watch (except to a niche). The Speedmaster Trilogy is far more versatile IMO.

I still think it is foolish to decide the market price is a "fail" after 2 years of release, because this is the flipper mindset. For me, it's equivalently irrational for instance to state that the Snoopy is fairly priced at £20k 3-4 years after release. With watches, the most reliable measure of supply/demand for any release in the thousands of units tends to be felt over the long term - 10/20+ years, and anything in between is noise. If you want my opinion, I've little doubt that the Speedmaster is going to be a winner in the long term (barring a strong decline in the brand or watch industry).

Edited Jul 18, 2019