Forums Latest Members

How Much More Valuable are Freshly Serviced Watches?

1. WatchVaultNYC Mar 5, 2016

Sometimes I see freshly serviced watches go for amounts extraordinarily higher than their non-serviced, but otherwise directly comparable counterparts. Any rule of thumb?

2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 5, 2016

I think it depends on who did the service, what they did, and if it's backed up by a warranty.

3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 5, 2016

Unless it is a chronograph, or other watch that would require a particularly complicated and/or expensive service, I don't see big disparities.

Vitezi likes this.
  4. Ray916MN Mar 5, 2016

Who did the service, proof of the service, warranty and the buyer's access to service all play in the value of buying a "serviced" watch. In general, anyone with access to a local watchmaker they trust has a lower value for buying a serviced watch than someone who doesn't have local access to a competent watchmaker. I generally prefer to have things serviced by watchmakers local to me. Easier to straighten out problems if they arise and good local watchmakers are a resource to be valued and supported.

5. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 5, 2016

To me, this is the main point. Who has bothered to read the terms associated with any warranty offered by their watchmaker?

Perhaps this is one for the legal professionals on here to answer - and it may vary from country to country. Unless the warranty specifically states that it is assignable, can you automatically assume the right to be able to assign the warranty to the new purchaser? I would guess that the answer is that you couldn't assign it and if you can, you would have to notify the watchmaker that you had sold the watch and assigned the warranty to another (named) party. The reason I would suggest that it is not assignable is because the warranty is part of a contract between you and the watchmaker, whether written or implied and it is not a contract with a possible third party.

This may be one for the professional watchmakers to comment on as well as there may be an element of good faith that they would consider under such circumstances that someone had a complaint about their work. Most warranties are an insurance based product, but this may differ if the warranty is self-issued based on confidence in ones own work.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 5, 2016

The only noticeable differences I've seen in serviced watches are Rolexes that have RSC papers or in particular vintage Rolexes that have been serviced by Bob Ridley, and for Omega watches that have been serviced by Omega (if modern) and if vintage STS and Al Archer.

Generally speaking if its a 1680 that's been done by Ridley or a 145.012 that's been done by Al you know what kind of shape its in internally, while if its a "serviced" Seamaster from some random on eBay, you could easily be buying a watch off someone like Everclear who pays his guy $50 to "make it work" and regulate it.

Those watches are the horological equivalent of the dead parrot sketch waiting to happen and the seller's claim that its been serviced is meaningless once you've either left good feedback or the paypal buyer protection window has expired.

Vitezi, STANDY, 250scr and 1 other person like this.
  7. ulackfocus Mar 5, 2016

Sometimes unserviced watches sell for more because they retain the original parts - like the yellow gasket inside vintage Omega Constellations. I know I'd rather have one of my guys do the actual service than some eBay schlockster "servicing" a watch by spraying WD40 in it.

Matty01, gatorcpa, STANDY and 3 others like this.
  8. Ray916MN Mar 5, 2016

Factory service also can be a positive. AFAIK the Omega service warranty is transferable. Years ago I bought a Seamaster GMT which was still under a factory service warranty. I knew the watch the had had problems after the factory service and had been back to the U.S. service center a couple of times under warranty. Although the watch was operating properly when listed, the seller's price reflected its history. Of course it ran fine when I got it, but ultimately I ended up having to send it back for warranty repair.....

9. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Mar 5, 2016

personally unless its someone I know I don't see any added value. I would rather handle the service myself so I can make sure its done properly. I only use a handful of independent watchmakers, because I trust them. Factory service is definitely not a positive imo...for that matter the last vintage watch I purchase that had a factory service did more harm than good not to mention it cost 3X what it should have. Manufacture service will typically change parts unnecessarily which is not good in vintage

noelekal likes this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 5, 2016

A serviced watch going for an "extraordinary" premium - would be the exception, not the rule, in my experience.

Generally, you'd be lucky to recover even half the cost of a (real) service, and some buyers would actually pay more for an untouched example.

11. ibis888 Mar 6, 2016

If it's a recent full service from a respectable watchmaker with documentation, I would pay $300-$500 more.

12. russm535il Apr 28, 2016

My Seamaster diver blue wave dial chronometer after 15 years of ownership ( time wore probably 3 years w watch rotation ) has started to run slow so I want to send it in for a service

I thought first to go to a factory service facility anyone have a reccomended one ?
    Thank you !

Russ DeJulio
    Pittsburgh PA

13. Canuck Apr 28, 2016

I service my own watches. I wouldn't pay a penny more for a watch that came to me as "serviced!" But anyone who s not so fortunate should certainly consider the warranty that comes with a new watch purchase. Particularly by a notable service. But also consideration should be given to how accessible that shop might be if a warranty problem pops up. Would you really ship a watch half way 'round the world to avail yourself of warranty service? I suspect Omega might offer an international warranty on watch service?

russm535il likes this.
  14. Thomas P. The P is for Palladium and Platinum Apr 28, 2016

I gotta agree there. I buy watches with the understanding it is a question of when not if a watch will malfunction. Then again I buy vintage watches only. :)

russm535il likes this.