Forums Latest Members
  1. Hotwheelbill Apr 8, 2014

I know that can change with each watch, but lets use a GX6546 case 14k as my example. How much would that weigh with case and back?
    I have no plans to scrap cases or buy for scrap, but I have a co-worker that has an old 18k Omega that he "would not sell for less than scrap price".
    I have no idea of the watch and he has not pulled it out in 20years. He did say it is round and a gold band that does not fit him any longer. I guess the best way to ask is the average weight of a wind and automatic movement and I can weigh and subtract?

2. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 8, 2014

I weighed a 14K Wittnauer case years ago. Round 34mm, straight lugs (likely hollow), total weight was 9.2 grams (case only, no crystal).

Hotwheelbill likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 8, 2014

Obviously the amount of gold varies depending on the case design and thickness, so it's really not possible to tell without weighing it after removing the movement.

I have a vintage Longines with a fairly substantial 36mm case that my watchmaker weighed during service. It came out to 19 grams, which is .67 oz. So, given that it is 18k, I multiplied .67 by .75, resulting in a pure gold weight of .5 or a half-ounce. At current market value, that is equivalent to around $650.

I would add that gold is highly likely to increase significantly in value over the next few years, and as a result, we will (sadly) see many more vintage watches scrapped.

Hotwheelbill likes this.
  4. greasemonkey Apr 9, 2014

hi,i had a similar experience,a good friend had a very nice 18k 1958 seamaster that had been in his family from new. he offered to sell me the watch but neither of us knew its true worth.we took it to a watchmaker friend,he stripped it and weighed the gold.turns out it had a very heavy british dennison case weighing 33grams.at the time the gold was worth £850 so we agreed a price of £1200 pounds we were both happy with,it was my first omega ,it now has friends! cheers greasemonkey

Hotwheelbill likes this.
  5. ulackfocus Apr 9, 2014

How much steel is in my car?

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 9, 2014

No where near as much as twenty years ago.:D

7. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 9, 2014

Especially if you buy Jaguar XJ or XF .........

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 9, 2014

Aluminium baby!