Forums Latest Members
  1. Kwijibo Oct 10, 2016

Hi guys,

I have the opportunity to buy a bullhead cal. 930. I understand that it is rather rare. Do you have some advice to give me on this watch?

2. Sanmilc Oct 10, 2016

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Oct 10, 2016

I love these Bullheads and will acquire one eventually. The four in the 2016 Omega catalogue at just over £6,000 each seem to me to be very good value for money and I believe would be the best choice over and above a vintage model.

4. ulackfocus Oct 10, 2016

5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 10, 2016

6000 to 10000

Except at auction where it is more.

If I were to buy one, I would want an exctract.

6. Kwijibo Oct 25, 2016

Hi guys,

I eventually grabbed it but I don't like it that much. I'm going to sell it.... I'm investing in a store!

tpatta and ahartfie like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 26, 2016

Hope it's not a watch store.......

dennisthemenace likes this.
  8. Kwijibo Oct 26, 2016

Very constructive comment, yes it's watch store.

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 26, 2016

Vintage or new watches?

10. Kwijibo Oct 26, 2016

vintage.

11. lillatroll Oct 26, 2016

One problem with this model is that cases, movements and dials seem to be fairly accessible so there are some for sale that look really nice but are put together. There was one for sale on here that is made up of bought parts; the seller wanted $10k. Crazy money for a franken if you ask me. I think around 6000usd is the going rate for an original one in reasonable condition, but like Spacefruit, I would want an extract of the archives.

The fact that the modern version, which only had a very limited production for each model, is widely available, (apart from the white dial/roullette bezel)suggests that these watches, both modern and vintage, are an aquired taste and for the price of them, there are a lot of other watches available that are much easier to move on if you want to sell them on.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. Kwijibo Oct 26, 2016

Hi Lilatroll

Yes that is true for many Omega watches. But having a close look at mine is enough to tell that the dial is vintage (patina, markers), taht the hands are old, as for the case, it's scratched and can't be NOS or being held by terminator.

cheers

13. cristos71 Oct 26, 2016

I've been reading a few times just recently the comments about these cases, dials and movements been readily and easily available, but I have never seen any shenanigans with bullheads, where is all the evidence for this?

14. lillatroll Oct 26, 2016

I was talking in general terms rather than your watch in particular. Personally I would buy a bullhead over a speedmaster for example, any day of the week but I think I am in a very very small minority, especially because of the high prices that are being asked for them.

15. lillatroll Oct 26, 2016

There
    There is one on the sales forum here that is a put together watch. I pmed the seller and he told me that he had bought all the parts on eBay and sent it to omega to put it together. He told me that he did not know it was not a NOS watch in the true sense of the word and changed his advert. I genuinely believe he was not trying to be dishonest but neither did he change the asking price.

16. cristos71 Oct 26, 2016

OK that's one, I still think it a bit strong to be implying that the Bullhead is a particularly risky watch. Genuine period correct Bullhead dials are pretty easy to recognize when compared to what I can only imagine are new service replacements.

Couple that with the price of the cal 930 Deville chrono's going northwards and there are not a lot of starting points for a believable franken. It's not like building a SM300 from a cal 552 or 565

17. lillatroll Oct 26, 2016

I don't think I was implying that it is a particularly risky watch. The number of these that were sold is small and compared to the watches you mention so the possibility of getting a franken is small, I agree. But I think it is something to be aware of when looking for one of these because prices for these watches are pretty steep for a good condition one.

18. cristos71 Oct 26, 2016

Well as you say there aren't many sales to go on, but you did say, "Some for sale that look really nice but are put together" and, "I would want an extract of the archives" To me that sounds like an implied extra risk. I just don't really feel that this model is more justifying of pulling an extract than any other model so long as normal due diligence is done.

19. lillatroll Oct 26, 2016

One reason to be cautious stems from the risk of possiby shelling out 10000 usd and upwards for a good example only to find it was not original. The example I gave; a(singular) case in point. I would want to be 100%sure that it was all original. Speedies and seamaster divers are easier to check because there are so many knowledgeable collectors who can spot a dodgy chronohand from a 1000 miles.
    In regards to the OPs watch though, I 100% agree that an extract might be excessive.

20. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Oct 26, 2016

I know you are Paris based. Where in the City of Light are you opening? Will have to drop by and visit.