Forums Latest Members

How Much Does A Refinish Job Take Away From The Original

1. Roel Jan 13, 2013

I like this ebay itemPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network however it is having a refinished dial. I emailed the seller and he said the watch still has the original dial on it but just refinished. I would appreciate if someone could please confirm that by looking at the image on the ad on ebay. Also, how much does a refinished dial take away from the desirability of the original one?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261152434261?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

On a watch like this it takes a lot off. On top of that this watch is badly over polished. Most collectors would not even bid on it.

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

Confirmed. Also, there is no such thing as "just refinished." Refinishing is a body blow, frequently fatal to the value of a vintage watch.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 13, 2013

Most serious vintage watch collector would not consider a watch with a refinished dial. And usually if the dial has degraded enough to need refinishing, the rest of the watch is usually in poor shape.

5. ulackfocus Jan 13, 2013

This is something that needs to be corrected. It CAN'T be original unless ALL the original elements are present - INCLUDING the original paint.

SpikiSpikester likes this.