Forums Latest Members

How much damage to a case is acceptable

1. WhatYourWatchSay May 12, 2018

If you did the damage?

A friend picked up a Howard pocket watch that's he's been trying to add to his collection for some time.

While opening the case the did some damage to the case lip and put a slight bend on the cuvette cover.

We were talking about it and we both agree the damage is only noticeable with a loupe, does not effect the closing of the cover and is covered by the case back.

Yet he feels angry with himself because he feels that this watch went undamaged for decades until it came into his possession and he's angry that he did the damage. Also, he knows the damage is there even if it's not too noticeable.

I've been there myself and on more than one occasion I've sold a watch because I couldn't get over the damage I did to the case no matter how minor.

So as collectors, if you damage a case what is acceptable to you personally, before you get angry with yourself?

2. bags1971 May 12, 2018

things happen i fell with a step dial in my hand damaged it felt horrible as it was going brown around the sub dials

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. WhatYourWatchSay May 12, 2018

I remember that thread bags1971 :(

4. 77deluxe May 12, 2018

On a beater, as much as possible. Unfortunately all my non-beaters seem to get too much damage and on those, any damage is too much.

5. WhatYourWatchSay May 12, 2018

For some bizarre reason that's the way it usually goes.

6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 12, 2018

You mean that all damage is not "honest wear and tear" that tells the "story of the life the watch has lived" and should be cherished and remain unrepaired as it adds to the "character" of the watch and its "soul"?

Whooda thunk it?

:p

7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe May 12, 2018

Pretty much every snap covered pocket watch I have has a certain amount of damage around the point where you have to slip a blade in to open the little bugger. (Including my otherwise nearly mint series five Howard) Its part of the package. My 922 Hamilton has a huge ugly friggin scrape pretty much the full distance across the inner covette... what the hell was he using to open it... an angry beaver?

Yeah, it looks like shit, but thats life. Its also why I prefer screw back cases.

The one that does bug me a bit is where some twit picked away at the back of my grandad's 1905 Longines for half a day trying to get the back open. Its a screw back!

But then, as I was only about 13 at the time its likely a good thing I couldn't figure out how to get in! I'll likely forgive me one day... maybe....

8. WhatYourWatchSay May 12, 2018

I've directed my friend to this thread, hopefully it will make him feel better, especially after reading about Fritz's 13 year old self destroying that Longines ;)

9. R3D9 May 12, 2018

Are you sure this isn’t a Dear Abby, my “friend” has a problem post? :p

10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 12, 2018

Damage for breakfast

image.jpeg

11. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus May 12, 2018

It sucks of course, but let's face it: it's a first world problem.

Fritz and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  12. Seaman May 12, 2018

As a collector a damage of the case it's not acceptable. At least for me..

13. Pvt-Public May 13, 2018

Depends on the damage and what caused. Some even consider watch makers marks damage. I consider them part of the watches history.
    IMG_0867.JPG

14. WhatYourWatchSay May 13, 2018

R3D9 likes this.
  15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2018

This is generally considered damaging the customer's watch these days. There's no reason why any marks need to be made inside a case...there are other ways of tracking if you have serviced a particular watch or not.

Would you consider a watchmaker scratching a series of numbers into the movement plates/bridges just part of the history of the watch too? Many "old school" watchmakers still do this kind of thing to keep track of parts. My view is you need to change your process if you can't keep track of what part goes in what watch without scratching the hell out of them...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or how about someone who has to scratch the shape of the part on other parts so they can figure out how to put the watch back together?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I understand keeping honest wear, patina, or whatever you want to call it, but sometimes there's history that just shouldn't be part of any watch.

Cheers, Al

16. WhatYourWatchSay May 13, 2018

It would be funny if it wasn't so very sad.

Fritz likes this.
  17. airansun In the shuffling madness May 13, 2018

I once destroyed a valuable vintage eye dropper fountain pen I was trying to take apart. Afterwards, I sat with it in my hands, staring, for a good half an hour. I rushed something I shouldn’t have and snapped the ‘section’, the collar that holds the nib and feed and screws into the barrel.

Had to sell what was left.

Even thinking about it now, twenty plus years later, kills me. I completely understand the self-flagellation involved.

When I crashed a valuable Norton 88SS and broke my right leg in five places, I was at least as stupid, but for that, I forgave myself right away. At the scene and still on the ground, I let it go.

To err is human, to forgive, divine. Particularly when it’s yourself.

Edited May 13, 2018
  18. WhatYourWatchSay May 13, 2018

As a fellow vintage pen collector I've been there as well airnsun :(

I like that!

19. Perseus May 13, 2018

Deafboy likes this.
  20. mrchen May 25, 2018

Is it generally acceptable to have scratches from using a caseback wrench? My local watchmaker worked on my fois last week and put some dings into the caseback facets. It doesn't bother me too much, I'm just wondering if this is something I should expect with continued servicings.

IMG_4680.jpg IMG_4681.jpg