Forums Latest Members

How Many Watches Are Too Many?

1. agee Jan 27, 2013

I just checked and found 17 vintage military watches in my watch box (not all Omega). I'm not quite sure where they all came from (wink, wink), but anyway is there a magic number that a watch collector reaches when he says no mas?
    Can a collector have too many watches? Or too many classic autos, or too many vintage bottles of wine in their collection?
    Just wondering, obviously with tongue in cheek

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

Pshaw, man, what rot! You should be fined for asking the question....

3. agee Jan 27, 2013

What is the fine?

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

how about a half dozen of those military watches that are weighing so heavily on your conscience? Fine and problem solved all at once!:D

5. agee Jan 27, 2013

Lou
    thanks for the "fine" suggestion
    One thing is for sure I have enjoyed the hunt in finding those watches in my collection and those that I have "moved on"

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

For sure. And equally for sure, we occasionally go overboard in our enthusiasms - I speak from ample personal experience here, as I am a serial offender in that respect. The issue of number of watches is for each person to resolve on their own. I'd bet the spectrum of collections runs from less than half a dozen to hundreds.

I've heard people who have a lot of watches derided as watch accumulators, and that collections must have some internal logic, a theme tying them together. I don't know about that. I can tell you that at least in my case, each purchase made sense at the time and I suspect the same is true of the so-called watch accumulators. Like you, when a watch no longer appeals, it moves on. I don't worry to much about arbitrary limits.

noelekal likes this.
  7. agee Jan 27, 2013

Two of my favorite military watches in my collection
    a "US Army" stamped on the back 30T2
    an Air Ministry 1956 6B/159
    a WWII British Army 30T2 is with the watch maker[​IMG][​IMG]

noelekal likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2013

You can never have too many watches or chocolate bars. Never.

..... or ......

He who dies with the most grails wins.

frederico and OzO like this.
  9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 27, 2013

Generally anything more than 847 is too many under IWCI standards, unless you collect Hamiltons where you are allowed 1458.

10. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Jan 27, 2013

Personally I see no end of collecting or any special number as "too many". One thing that started to bug me last year was that I had to many of the same model - I had two Lemania Viggen, two Zenith Captain in SS, two 18k Captain, two 168.005 in SS (same color dial), etc. Why this trend started I do not know, but probably because I just acted when I saw a nice one surface.
    Sold one Viggen last year and this year I promised myself to sell off the other doubles. One 18k Captain and a steel Connie is already gone and one steel Captain is on the move.
    Too many watches for me is perhaps when they stop being indivduals. If I sort of forgot that I have one or could not tell when I bought it. Or when I realize I have to many of the same...
    I fell in the same trap just the other day though - I have a really nice and original seventies Seiko 6105-8110 diver. On a Swedish watch forum another one came up for sale and it was also untouched (unusal with this model). The seller had it for sale for quite some time, price dropped again and again and I just sat there wondering why no one saw what I saw. In the end I could not resist it.
    So this years selling of doubles just turned backwards. ::screwloose::
    regards
    JE
    (I think I have 45 but it could be +/- 1)

11. ulackfocus Jan 27, 2013

I might have to change your screen name to Noah. :p

12. SeanO Jan 27, 2013

you need 1458 because at least 1300 of them will be at International Dial getting re-dialled.

13. Littleroger Jan 28, 2013

lando and SpikiSpikester like this.
  14. keepschanging Mar 18, 2018

Casual thread resurrection...

I have about 15 watches and the only downside is that it is too many to wear each of them as much as I’d like.

I want to wear them and bond with them, feels bad seeing most of them sitting in a box for months on end.

15. Paulomega Mar 18, 2018

I ran out of room in my display cases, I guess I definitely have too many!!!!!! Need to go for a confession ::facepalm1::

16. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 18, 2018

Be careful going around resurrecting threads....Next thing you know you'll be going around thread drifting and hijacking

So how do you store the 15 watches you have?

17. heccsat Mar 18, 2018

Imho if you actually want to wear them than having more than 8-10 is not practical.

18. amanson Mar 18, 2018

As long as you appreciate having them, there is no limit. I have some watches that I never wear that I enjoy for various reasons (scarcity or family history). I would never sell these even with no wrist time.

But, once I stop appreciating any of them I end up selling.... then later regret it. :D

19. Oku Mar 18, 2018

I never understood the concept of "too" (much, many...).
    Can somebody explain?

Jerseyhammer likes this.
  20. Jerseyhammer Mar 18, 2018

From my point of view the awnser is ‘NO’ from the wife’s ‘ Yes’ ! It’s life lol