Forums Latest Members

How many timepieces that cost over MSRP $1,200 do you own?

1. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

Hey guys. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the fact that there are many people on this forum who owns 2 or more high-end timepieces, it makes me feel inferior in a way. I don't know what's the starting price for a high-end piece, so I am going to just say MSRP $1,200. I want to see if there are others like me who only own one. I only have a Seamaster Professional Co-axial 300m which I bought last year from JB Hudson store in the twin cities area. It was my very first high-end piece ever and I love it dearly.

I wish there was a way to make a poll rather than calculating numbers in my head through posts, although it's simple math.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

If you really want to be overwhelmed, you need to spend some time shopping in Wixon's, South Lyndale Ave.:D

JohnSteed and LeDave like this.
  3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Aug 17, 2014

My friend.

High-end pieces should not be evaluated by their price. That is sometimes an annoying consequence - but not necessarily. Some of the best watches you can ever find are well under that - especially vintage.

And you shouldn't feel inferior! ;) This isn't a game of who has more or less. It's about the pleasure of owning what you like.

My advice would be to consider the vintage market, where you can get in-house movements, excellent finishing, and classic design for well under $1,200 (Lecoultre, Longines, Omega, Universal Geneve, Zenith, CYMA, etc.).

4. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

I went to Wixons at the time I wanted to buy the Omega I have now, apparently they aren't a Omega dealer and have no Omega in stock. He said We don't carry Omega but we have Panerai. I do not see the relations between Omega and Panerai, maybe he meant to say Rolex instead? But yeah, what's wrong with Wixons anyway? Is it too overpriced? I was only able to get my Omega down to 15 percent off at JB Hudsons.

Great advice mate, this made me feel a bit better. I have never been interested in collecting vintage though, it just never appeals to me and the design is obviously classic if you look at it, the design just looks classical. I am more of a modern type person.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

Nothing wrong with Wixon's, a great place, but as a dealer of Patek Phillipe, Lange & Söhne, Panerai, Rolex, Jaeger-LeCoultre, etc., they are capable of of putting a real hurt in anyone's watch budget.

6. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

Oh yeah definitely, I felt like it was heaven inside when I saw all the timepieces they had, despite having thought I was at first in a prison when entering. They really secured the place down like Alcatraz.

7. Davidt Aug 17, 2014

I certainly don't think anyone should feel their collection is inferior because of the number of expensive watches in it. Anyone could go spend huge amounts and end up with a collection full of tasteless pieces of tat. Another person could spend a fraction of that over a long period of time and end up with a beautiful collection of well chosen pieces.

I'd choose a collection put together with patience and knowledge over one put together with raw cash anytime!

8. LeDave Aug 17, 2014

David, my dad once told me that it's better to own one timepiece that has a rich history and timeless in brand rather than owning 10 random pieces; Because in the end, you'll end up being much happier with just the 1. I used to own a some cheap automatic Seikos and Invicta knockoff designs and had scratched my head on what my dad meant. I soon realized what he truly meant when I bought my first timepiece that had a rich history and timeless in brand, a Omega Seamaster Professional Co-axial, I ended up selling all 9 randomnies but 1, a Seiko automatic diver as a beater watch when I workout at the gym or do anything that may scratch my Omega.

9. Hijak Aug 17, 2014

Have to agree with what has been said above...some of my favorite pieces in my collection were relatively inexpensive. Whats on my wrist today for instance was well under $500 US and is a favorite...
    Dial.JPG
    Case Back.JPG
    This watch is in excellent condition and is a desirable piece. You don't need to spend a ton to have a nice collection.:cool: With some knowledge and a little help from your forum friends one can do very well collecting watches without spending::money:: !

Vron, tinger, Gavin and 4 others like this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2014

I own watches from under $200 (I'll always own at least one Seiko dive watch) to..... let's just say much more than $1200. I can safely say after all these years it ain't about the money. It ain't about impressing people either. If it were, I'd trade in my VC for a couple or three Rolexes.

Stewart H, timeismoney, lenny and 2 others like this.
  11. JohnSteed Aug 17, 2014

Note the wise words above.

And when you figure out what you really like in a 'high end' watch, you get to determine if the price is worth it, to you. I like watches at all prices. I just don't feel I have to get them all.

Check out WRUW Today? on this forum and you'll find many watches in a range of prices. A collection should probably follow a theme and have a sense of coherence. Know what I mean? Like 1950's Constellations, 1960s Speedmasters, you know ... whatever you like and are drawn to.

Feel free to ask questions here before you purchase any vintage watch.

12. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

Yea money isn't a yardstick for quality, and certainly there's nothing to feel inferior about, even the guys on here with massive collections of high end pieces will see someone with a mint Longines Flagship or Seamaster DeVille and have a lot of respect for that. The quality of your decisions matters far more than the size of your wallet.

Dedalus, Davidt, NT931 and 1 other person like this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 17, 2014

I'm not sure what is a "high-end piece" anymore, and I've been at this a long time. Some Swiss watches have substantial numbers of parts made in low cost countries like China. Others have all Swiss parts and are assembled in Eastern Europe. Does that make them not high-end anymore? You tell me.

I was reading a pretty decent watch blog today and the author gave a glowing review of an Orient automatic watch here:

http://wornandwound.com/2014/08/13/orient-bambino-fer2400bwo-review/

OK, not what one would consider a high-end brand, but here's what you get. An automatic movement, totally made and designed in-house by Orient in Japan, with a decently finished steel case and leather watch band for $180. If you go to the Orient USA website and use just the right coupon code, you can get a second automatic Orient (not the same one) thrown in plus free shipping. This is not an advertisement, just an example that it's just not clear to me what really is high-end in a new watch anymore.

When one considers the depreciation on almost any new watch, which is a far higher percentage than a car, it's a wonder to me than anyone buys new. Yes, there are exceptions, like some Patek Philippes and Rolex Daytonas. For those you have to pay really big to play.

Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary, etc. etc.
    gatorcpa

Stewart H, NT931, timeismoney and 2 others like this.
  14. JohnSteed Aug 17, 2014

Well said, gatorcpa !!

15. NT931 Aug 17, 2014

+1. Ever since I found this forum, I've not bought a new watch. I've been buying pre-owned since ... um, about 10 watches ago.:eek:

As for prices of watches, one factor that's hard to discount is the precious metal involved. Gold watches will cost more than SS, so sometimes it is inevitable we pay more for the gold version of a watch. But having said that, that's only one of many factors, and there are many modern SS watches that are priced far more (and may be far uglier with a so-so movement) than a classic gold vintage watch with an inhouse movement. As Ashley said, momey certainly isn't a yardstick for quality.

16. ulackfocus Aug 17, 2014

So that's last week in regular people time, eh? :p

Spy and NT931 like this.
  17. speedbird Aug 17, 2014

I buy what I like. I don't really like to put a dollar amount on my collection or anyone else's.

One thing I realized long ago is that someone will always have a better house, car, and watch collection. the important thing is to enjoy what you have

faid2black, Nitzbar, LeDave and 4 others like this.
  18. timeismoney Aug 17, 2014

As in collecting anything, you should have your own perspective. It is an expensive hobby without a doubt but at least watches do have an utilitarian aspect to it. At least that is what I tell the wife :p

Tritium and CdnWatchDoc like this.
  19. CdnWatchDoc Aug 17, 2014

+1
    One person's treasure is another's junk, so monetary value is not as important to me as that "je ne sais quoi" that attracts me to certain pieces.

20. MyVintageOmega Aug 18, 2014

lol...... one only!