Forums Latest Members

How many original parts can be saved on a Speedy? 145.022-68

1. LawBrk Oct 7, 2015

Taking the forums advice I took a bit of a punt on a piece with poor photos and not completely knowledgable item description. Supposedly a one-owner (his fathers), I thought that even if it ended up being a poor example I could recoup some funds through the parts.

Well it has since arrived and I think its going to be ok (wheeww). It showed up the next day and Its condition is better than the pics could show. Lots of built up grime just about everywhere, but nothing a little cleaning couldn't remove. I've since taken it to my WM and received a quote for overhaul, new Omega crystal, mainspring, and crown for $575 + tax.

He said that he would want to replace the pushers and tubes as well as the crown and its counterparts. My problem is that I enjoy the older style crown that is currently attached. Is there any way to replace the seals within the crown/stem assembly to return its water resistance? He is an extremely qualified professional but maybe not a vintage enthusiast, he prefers to return the chamfers and brushed sides to vintages pieces. I had to pretty much attach a sticker to my fathers 70's Bulova reminding him not to have the case buffed and face redialed.

Any thoughts about the watch and/or what to ask of the WM during the service to maintain as much originality as possible is the goal. I'm thinking of replacing the bezel since I want to wear this, and not ruin the DoN since they are crazy $$$ now.

Serial # 2655xxxx

IMG_1740.JPG IMG_1725.JPG IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1719.JPG IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1730.JPG IMG_1735.JPG IMG_9901.jpeg

Etp095, wwhntr and noelekal like this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 7, 2015

Nice pick up!

For me, I would replace pushers and crown, but be sure to keep the originals. I prefer air tight over original for a piece that I wear regularly. Helps keep moisture out, not just water.

As for bezel, I'd leave the bezel. As long as your somewhat careful, you shouldn't have any issues, and that's part of the charm.

Definitely get the movement serviced no matter what.

LawBrk, noelekal and Spacefruit like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 7, 2015

What a fabulous example!

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022-transitional/

Personally I would keep the bezel, change the crystal and pushers. I don't know how to make the old crown waterproof, but I am guessing the watch wouldn't be waterproof even if the crown was replaced. So I wouldn't change the crown.

I would specify a clean of the case, no metal removal, so light polish not refinish.

It's going to turn out really well.

LawBrk, wwhntr and noelekal like this.
  4. Davidt Oct 7, 2015

thats going to look great with a good clean. Congrats.

I always ask for;

A thorough cleaning of the case but no polish.
    Full moment overhaul.
    New pushers (only if they can get correct ones. Being the larger size, you should be fine).
    Keep crown if original. Replace if not.
    No work to dial or hands.

I'd agree with Spacefruit and Oddboy. Keep the bloody bezel on it. I don't understand all this nonsense about swapping original parts and keeping them safe. Wear it as it was intended and pick up the odd scratch along the way.

That really will look lovely after a sympathetic service :thumbsup:

5. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Oct 7, 2015

Really nice example, congrats.

During a service I always take the pushers apart, clean everything in the ultrasonic cleaner, install new o'rings and put it all back together. Replacing the o'rings restores the integrity of the case. Same can be done with the crown o'ring. Why replace a whole assembly for the want of a new o'ring?

Ludi and noelekal like this.
  6. marturx Oct 7, 2015

Don't change anything. Clean the case, service the movement, polish the crystal

Keep it far away from water and moisture

emilio likes this.
  7. TNTwatch Oct 7, 2015

Nice to hear a good reasoning. Just curious about when the pusher tubes got rusty like in the OP's watch, does it still not affect the integrity of the case?

8. wwhntr Oct 7, 2015

I'd like to try this idea! Where do you source/how do specify parts needed for o rings pushers and crown?

9. wsfarrell Oct 7, 2015

10. LawBrk Oct 7, 2015

Appreciate the suggestions. I will leave the bezel on and attempt to be gentle. As far as the pushers I'm am indifferent to their replacement, the crown is what I would like to retain as I believe it's correct original.

I will request an overhaul and that all parts be returned to me after replaced. The case be only thoroughly cleaned and not polished. The crystal is rough but as some suggest it could be ok to buff? Would the original plexi have an Omega center mark?

11. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Oct 8, 2015

The tubes don't appear rusty, they appear dirty with an accumulation of body crud and dirt and grime. Once taken apart and cleaned they should come out like new. Consider as well that what you see is the outside of the tube, not the inner part where the o'rings and sealing actually takes place. Even with this much crud on the outside, the inside is probably nice and clean, disassemble, clean, install and lubricate new o'rings and problem solved while keeping the originality.

Very rarely do you find rust, the parts are stainless steel and it's not often that you find rust on the case, it does happen, rarely, but in those photo's I see dirt and verdigris, not rust.

As for replacement o'rings, I have a number of kits with assorted sizes including 'd' and 'e' rings...I can usually match something up as a replacement.

Here is an example from this week

Crud etc on pusher tube...cleaned up fine...
    [​IMG]

Here's the pushers taken apart
    [​IMG]

Edited Oct 8, 2015
    Etp095, LawBrk, Davidt and 1 other person like this.