How many average daily telephones/texts scams do you receive?

Posts
401
Likes
410
I no longer pick up the phone if the number is not in my address book. I figure if it's important, then they can leave a message.

As for texts, I think there's a report spam button on my phone, but not sure if it does anything.
 
Posts
277
Likes
409
I used to receive quite a few "Police" calls using an AI voice or text messages where I was "accused" of some "crime" that I had to pay an enormous fine for. That seemed to stop about a year ago (the mobile service providers finally did something).

The more annoying was the insurance companies try to get me to change to their insurance (you can legally cancel for no reason up to the end of November). These sort of calls were made illegal.

I also stopped receiving the "EuroPol" emails where I was accused of looking at pron on the internet and had to pay a fine of 50'000 Euros, so the mail providers must have found a way to block those too...
 
Posts
897
Likes
2,363
The latest scam attempt i had was just a few days ago.

The man said his name was Harry and was ringing about property repairs.
Which may have worked if i live in a housing association property, but I don't.

I said I didn't know what the f*ck he was on about so he hung up.
 
Posts
1,028
Likes
11,787
hardly any 🤷‍♂️
maybe 1 spam call per week, 1 spam text per month.
 
Posts
15
Likes
33
They seem to come in waves for me. I'll go weeks/months with nothing, then all of a sudden I'm getting like 7 calls a day. Couldn't tell you why
 
Posts
1,853
Likes
4,464
3x5 a day, ignored unless I feel bored then I usually ask if they have welcomed the lord into their life and can I hold a Jehovah’s Witness meeting with them.
Or I am a multimillionaire willing to pay donations to the needy, could you hold a second…mobile on the table walk away.
 
Posts
897
Likes
2,363
Yesterday about 5/6 calls.
Shortly after moving house in December 2023 I got scammed by a bogus Virgin Media caller.

I don't know what the **** i was thinking but only for my missus coming home from work i think I really would have been fleeced.

They had my landline and mobile tied up and I think I'd lost £4k/£5k by then, which i got back through my bank.

I sometimes play along with them if I can be bothered. Most times I stay silent and they hang up.
 
Posts
3,300
Likes
9,924
I dont answer unknown calls, but I got an sms form a bank the other day. I have no business with that bank, I didnt know it even existed. It stated that I had to finish my aplication for a Gold card, I clicked the link and sure enough they wanted me to do the things that one never should do, give them your log in information and pin number.

I contacted the real bank via the chat on their web site and got the answer that I had to send an e-mail. So I send an e-mail and got the answer that I had to use the chat function. Thats just the thing a grumpy old geezer need to hear when he is trying to do the right thing. Great service.

Anyways I read in the paper that the usual gullible old person is now longer the main target and the scammers are seeking out the younger even more gullible generation, that belives in the pot of gold at the end of the link.
 
Posts
897
Likes
2,363
I dont answer unknown calls, but I got an sms form a bank the other day. I have no business with that bank, I didnt know it even existed. It stated that I had to finish my aplication for a Gold card, I clicked the link and sure enough they wanted me to do the things that one never should do, give them your log in information and pin number.

I contacted the real bank via the chat on their web site and got the answer that I had to send an e-mail. So I send an e-mail and got the answer that I had to use the chat function. Thats just the thing a grumpy old geezer need to hear when he is trying to do the right thing. Great service.

Anyways I read in the paper that the usual gullible old person is now longer the main target and the scammers are seeking out the younger even more gullible generation, that belives in the pot of gold at the end of the link.
Just after i was scammed i read the same thing about a younger generation being the main targets.

But this BBC program only shows older victims
One of the Simpsons episodes was about Grandpa getting scammed which was bang on apart from the scammers living locally


https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00164f1
 
Posts
2,378
Likes
11,243
Calls and texts have tapered off, but scam emails have exploded. Woke up to 162 in junk mail, and only two were legitimate.
 
Posts
2,777
Likes
4,401
I used to get the 'update your windows' from an Indian call center, but have not had one for years.

What worries me are people like my dad who are easy targets. He is 82 and hates having any kind debts, so if someone calls saying he owes money, it causes him all kinds of stress.

He has reasonably large sums of money in his various accounts and could be taken for 10s of thousands of pounds. Fortunately he has not fallen for anything yet, but plenty of older people do.