Forums Latest Members

how long did it take you to pull the trigger the first time?

1. Andreas Sep 11, 2015

Hello everyone
    I've been a member for a while but this is my first post.
    After going back and forth i finally bought my speedmaster pro. 311.30.42.30.01.005 two weeks ago.
    I was looking for a pre owned one for a while now but got a really good deal on a new one from my authorized dealer that i couldn't pass.
    This is my first big watch purchase and while two years ago i couldn't have imagine spending this amount on a watch now i am already thinking about the next one :)
    My question is... how long did it take you from the moment you started getting into watches to the moment you made your first nice watch purchase and what was the first one?

btw this is my speedy, every second i have it on my wrist i regret not pulling the trigger earlier :)

DSC_2095.JPG DSC_2088.JPG
    UncleBuck likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

One day.

And that wasn't my fault either! I saw a Rolex in the window of Sam Kalter's shop on 7th and Sansom as he was closing up. Had to go buy it the next day. Found a good watchmaker and my first in-person enabler too.

ps - Impulse control was not my strong suit back then. :rolleyes: :p

Edited Sep 11, 2015
  3. abrod520 Sep 11, 2015

Got into watches when I received a TAG Heuer quartz in college; finally bought a new Monaco when I got my first good job 5 years later. This was a couple of years ago when a nice vintage Monaco was the same price as a new one from an AD... I bought the new one as I was new to watches. When I traded the Monaco a year and a half ago, I lost more than 50% on it while values for vintage Monacos have roughly doubled.
    Still kicking myself but hey, I was just a dumb kid!

4. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

That's one variety of the "Noob Tax".

5. italy1861 Sep 11, 2015

My first nice watch was a Speedy Pro also. Knew what I wanted well before I went to purchase it, so I was in "condition 1" when I went to the AD. Pulled the trigger instantly. "Condition 1" for those who might not be gun savvy is what Colt 1911 owners call hammer back, safety engaged..

6. abrod520 Sep 11, 2015

:thumbsup: .... I had more money than knowledge at that point. Never again!

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Sep 11, 2015

Two large G&T's :)

Northernman likes this.
  8. JamieG Sep 11, 2015

The seed was set when various people I knew had fake Rolex or Tag. I wanted a "good watch" but I wanted to a real one. Anyway early in January 1994 post Christmas and in the Sales season I bought a Breitling Colt. From making my mind up that I was actually going to do it, to actually pulling he trigger was about 45 minutes I think.

I still have the Colt and am unlikely to sell it.

9. M'Bob Sep 11, 2015

About 15 seconds. But I was young, and she was older, and very hot.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 11, 2015

About two weeks
    My boss asked me to dress better. While shopping for dress, shoes, glasses etc I visit Rado, Longines and Tag boutique. I had my mind set for Tag heuer Link cal 6 but need time to think over. The next week I happened to visit a mall with several second hand shops. I saw a second hand Constellation double claw. I couldnt believe the price is only one third of a new Tag. I pulled trigger and never have regret.
    Of course the next logical step is googling everything about the watch, stumbled into this forum and the rest is history.

Tritium, Northernman and UncleBuck like this.
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 11, 2015

Ok you have to explain further.....

12. ulackfocus Sep 11, 2015

So flip flops and board shorts were cutting it, eh? :p

13. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Sep 11, 2015

Yeah ..... it seems hot and humid reasoning not enough to grant flip flop n short at work :)

14. M'Bob Sep 12, 2015

I never kiss and tell...until there's beer involved.

15. Spy You know my name. Sep 13, 2015

One summer during my mid-teens to save up for a Sub no-date. One day to decide sell it. :(

For OMEGA, one year to save up because I moved out of my parents home. I still have my 2254; my first modern OMEGA. Before that I had vintage SM bumper. And before that I found a gild SM from the 60's on a bench in a shoe store.

16. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Sep 13, 2015

Back then?::confused2::

ulackfocus likes this.
  17. happytapy Sep 14, 2015

Took me about a nano second on an O & W Aviation. My first real watch purchase. Where was I going to get a Breitling 809 at that price? Brand new!

But a word of opinion if I may. Never regret not pulling the trigger earlier. If anything, it enhances your regard for the beautiful watch you ended up with to have waited and considered first. An earlier opportunity may not have been as good or the buzz you get from ownership might not have lasted as long. There is a positive side to taking your time.

Cheers

18. WatchVaultNYC Sep 14, 2015

OMG the first Omega I bought pre-owned was agonizing. Took months and was mostly worried about scams. Now that I've learned the easy steps to protect myself from scammers, pulling the trigger is easy.

19. Andreas Sep 14, 2015

thanx!!! maybe you are right.

20. Andreas Sep 14, 2015

Yeap, its really scary dropping a big amount of money in a pre-owned watch if you are new to the game.
    That's why i think a lot of people prefer to buy new when they start.