Forums Latest Members

How is your AD combating the grey market????

1. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

So I ve finally had the email from my AD to say a Sea Dweller 50th anv. is arriving this morning.
    :0) :0) :0) Not seen in the flesh yet so can’t wait.
    One thing I have noticed is the initial usual massive price hike seems to have plateaued and those that have sold via auction with no reserve seem to fetch £9400-9800. Seems to be a lot of people flipping straight away so perhaps a little flooded?
    Apparently Goldsmiths new rules on Rolex are to remove stickers and keep the papers for 6 months!!!?? Anyone else coming across similar things and will it curb the ‘grey’ dealers or just bonkers???

amiriqbal likes this.
  2. ag986 May 8, 2018

I've heard of that practice but whether it works or not is hard to say. AD's that I have spoken with are wary of 'flippers', so I volunteered to let them keep the warranty card for a time if they would sell a Daytona to me. So far, it hasn't worked for me.

Castle4444 likes this.
  3. alam May 8, 2018

BS IMO, if I purchase anything (and pay in full w/lots of $), then I expect every piece of paper/trinket that comes with the gadget in the bag before I walk out the door... now, will the AD settle for partial payment when the watch is handed to me with the condition I bring the balance six months later?

southtexas, frederico, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  4. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

Haha!! Anything is worth a try when a Daytona is involved!!

5. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

I totally agree. My biggest concern is what if they loose the papers!!!

6. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

Happy with the Sea Dweller! The dial is a beautiful matt finish :0)
    B370F681-E52D-4812-A6CE-1BB265C46668.jpeg

7. MaiLollo May 8, 2018

They dump their unwanted stock to grey market dealers to recoup their costs and stay afloat by selling the hot watches themselves...

Undefeatable and Castle4444 like this.
  8. Thegreatroberto May 8, 2018

Goldsmiths tried this sort of trick on me back in november. Albeit with a Tudor black bay. Kept the hangtag without my permission. Got trading standards involved and the hangtag was returned.
    Issue here was that they dud this without agreeing with me before I paid and got tge watch home. Really irritated me. So much that my next watch was not purchased from Goldsmiths.

Castle4444 likes this.
  9. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

Last February I purchased a Daytona from the same dealer, that time they took a the stickers off which I know is minor but when you fork out over 9k you want the choice to be yours full stop. Today they kept the papers but because they were busy left the stickers on!! They seem to chop and change a lot!! I would have been annoyed about tags being kept though, make zero sense!!

10. Fabollse May 8, 2018

Keept the papers? So they steal the papers from you for a while?
    Cant understand that you accept it

11. Castle4444 May 8, 2018

I was told 6 months was how they wanted to hold on to it for.
    Let’s be honest, if people aren’t happy with it they just call the next person on the massive list until somebody excepts the terms. I reckon this may be how I got mine today. I have a feeling it’s only on the waiting list pieces.

ag986 and Fabollse like this.
  12. Thegreatroberto May 8, 2018

Exactly. If, and it's a big if, you agree this as part of your transaction, then it is sort of okish.
    But I only discovered my lack of a hangtag when I got home. Goldsmiths unilaterally decided this was Ok. I thought different and used my ( albeit limited ) knowledge of contract law to deal with them. Their loss as they are no longer the place I will choise to do business with. An arroant branch manager did not help as most of the branch staff are great. I pitty them having to work for the manager and the company.
    In short, not good business.

Picture of the Tudor attached.

20180318_195505.jpg
    Edited May 8, 2018
    Fabollse and Castle4444 like this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 8, 2018

I would think that the Rolex factory would have interest in this case. They keep a pretty tight rein on their dealers.

Something about this practice smells illegal to me, as one would think you need all of the papers if the watch needed service under warranty. What if you moved and needed to take the watch to another AD for service?
    gatorcpa

frederico and Castle4444 like this.
  14. Thegreatroberto May 8, 2018

Goldsmiths told me that they had agreed this practice with Rolex. And it is after all, only a hangtag. Most customers may never spot it. They tild me that i was tye fitst to complain in the 6 monthd they had been using this practise.

Castle4444 likes this.
  15. stevec14 May 9, 2018

Congrats on the SD. Great watch. This practice has been discussed on TRF for some time so is definitely not BS. Where you go depends on what they do. For a waitlist piece, if keeping the papers for 6 months helps weed out the flippers and gets watches to those who actually want to buy, wear and keep them I’m all for it.

Enjoy that bad boy!

Atalien2005, Kmart, w154 and 2 others like this.
  16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 9, 2018

And you believe this?

Still sounds illegal to me if they are holding warranty papers. Maybe that’s only from a US perspective.

gatorcpa

Castle4444 and Rasputin like this.
  17. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member May 9, 2018

"your AD" (from title)? Ain't no AD ever shown me enough love to be known as "my" AD.

ext1, Ludi, moorey and 2 others like this.
  18. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF May 9, 2018

If they’re keeping tags and papers from a watch you purchased brand new from them then I shudder to think what they’ll keep when you take the watch in for a service. You might be lucky to get your original movement back after all is said and done.

All this to disrupt a free market and try to reign control of a commodity that you rightly purchased. If someone wants to flip that watch or sell their parts then as long as they pay proper tax why is it so unacceptable?

Castle4444 and gatorcpa like this.
  19. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 9, 2018

This is the issue. I understand why Rolex dealers want to combat this issue. In essence, they are not part of the free secondary market for certain very desirable models and want to make it difficult for their customers to join as well.

The dealers see the profits made by the flippers as money that is rightly theirs, if only they were allowed to sell into that secondary market.

The question is whether this practice of holding back certain parts that come with the watch is allowable under local (in this case U.K.) law.

I suppose that the dealers are not forced to do business with anyone that objects to this practice, and that the next customer on the waiting list would probably not object, so the legal arguments are academic only.

My question is whether Rolex is really sanctioning this. It would seem to me that having unhappy customers complaining to them about dealers acting in this manner would not be in the best interest of the brand. If there is one thing that Rolex values above all else, it is brand image.

But the Swiss do some strange things, so who knows?
    gatorcpa

Castle4444 likes this.
  20. tyrantlizardrex May 9, 2018

It's not.

I was told last year that Rolex threatened Aurum with removal of their AD status if they continued to to this to customers, so I suspect not.