Forums Latest Members

How is the workmanship of this re-done dial Connie cal 504

1. vmh Jun 27, 2015

There is an offer on the internet about this Connie with cal 504 which I believed is the first generation of Connie with date function and is quite rare (only 25K were produced) which make it quite collectable. However, the seller clearly stated that everything of this watch is authentic accept the dial has been professionally re-done due to its age. I don't mine a re-done dial particular when the offer price is good. I just want to seek advise from the expects here how is the workmanship of the re-done dial?

无标题.jpg omega 1.jpg Omega 2.jpg Omega 4.jpg Omega 5.jpg
  2. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Jun 27, 2015

Doesn't look terribly bad but still a redial. Why don't you wait for a "quite collectible" and all original?

Talking about the workmanship of that dial the sunburst is wrong for that model. Swiss Made is in wrong place and the Constellation is in wrong style.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 27, 2015

Case back has also been heavily polished to the point where some of the stars have worn off.

I'd rather have a grungy original than a too shiny restoration.

But not everyone agrees.
    gatorcpa

Giff2577 likes this.
  4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jun 27, 2015

For this model even the most beautiful redial would disqualify a purchase - it is not that uncommon enough to compromise on this important aspect.

5. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2015

Except for the SWISS MADE being too high it's not a bad job - but it is still a redial. There are enough of those models to wait for an original.

6. vmh Jun 27, 2015

Thank you for all experts on your advise. The seller is asking around USD1K for this watch. Beside the redial issue, it is a fair price?

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 27, 2015

Honestly there's not $1k there anymore, caseback is too worn down, dial is worth nothing anymore and the dial is half the value of a Constellation. I'd not be a buyer even at half that to be honest.

8. ulackfocus Jun 27, 2015

It's a parts watch at best, making it something most of us wouldn't pay over $200 for - and that's only if there were a dire need for some part it had.

The seller might very well get somebody who doesn't know any better. Due to your foresight (by asking here), it won't be you. ;) For that kind of money you can buy a very nice original version of that. Won't be mint, but will be kosher.

9. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Jun 27, 2015

As per usual, you've received top notch feedback. Just wanted to add that you need to reevaluate your perception of "quite rare". You'd need to pretty much drop the "k" from 25k to get something more representative of quite rare.

10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jun 27, 2015

I agree with the guys
    the 'rare' thing you are considering is no longer that 'rare' thing -just a facsimile.
    if you are looking for an original collectible watch -rather than a nice looking 'beater' -then much better to wait for something good -they are out there.
    good luck with the hunt -that's part of the fun.

11. vmh Jun 27, 2015

Thanks again for all your advise.

styggpyggeno1 likes this.