Forums Latest Members
  1. papercrake Aug 24, 2016

How important is an authentic crystal? I took my 1950's chronometre in a few days ago and although everything is working well, the shop(Central Watch in NYC) recommended I think about switching out the crystal at some point in the future since there are hairline fissures that could allow moisture onto the dial. Any thoughts on wether this is a good idea?

I'd like to keep the dial etc intact, is there any danger I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. dx009 Aug 24, 2016

I think you mean the original crystal that was installed in the factory.

An authentic crystal is important to me (when talking about an Omega, at least) but I wouldn't mind replacing it with a brand new correct crystal if the previous one has issues.

If we're talking about installing non-Omega crystals then that might be a bad idea in my opinion.

fredouille78 and papercrake like this.
  3. ulackfocus Aug 24, 2016

I can't think without pictures. :(

Tony C. likes this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Aug 24, 2016

While it's nice to have an original crystal, and especially one that is signed, I wouldn't lose a wink of sleep over a replacement as long as it is essentially the same style.

Bumper, Syrte and heavenscloud like this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

Let me add..."for most watches".

Several brands (Omega, Universal Geneve and Eterna, I'm sure there are others) actually sign their crystals. For those watches it is always better to have a signed crystal.

In the case of Universal Geneve, there are no replacements available, so that's how you know that the crystal is original.
    gatorcpa

6. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 24, 2016

Not All Omega crystals are signed I recently purchased a original Omega crystal for an older Omega No Horse shoe in the center for case ref 2364

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 24, 2016

If it was old stock, that is true. Omega started signing crystals around 1950.

Also, if the crystal is made of anything other than Hexalite (plastic), it would not be signed.
    gatorcpa

voere likes this.
  8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 24, 2016

If there are fissures in the plastic (and not scratches) I'd change it ASAP with an OEM item.

The fissures indicate a breakdown in the molecular structure of the plastic, possibly caused by UV light and age.
    The structure and integrity of the crystal is severely weakened and could break and damage the dial if bumped hard enough.
    A new crystal would more than likely just shrug of such a bump.

PS: You can see fissures better by looking from the side of the crystal in good daylight, sometimes looking straight on they just look like scratches.

9. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Aug 24, 2016

Grateful for the info, I have recently acquired a watch with a fissured crystal and wasn't in a particular hurry to switch, especially since I wasn't sure I could find the same shape.

10. Canuck Aug 24, 2016

Many models of Omega require a specific genuine Omega crystal. I refer the crystals with a reflector ring (often called an "A" type, or armoured type crystal), particularly. While generic reflector ring crystals are available, only genuine Omega crystals have the required "shelf" for the outer edge of the dial machined into the reflector ring.. If you use a generic type, the movement usually sits too high in the case, and this can cause the rotor (on an automatic) to drag on the case back. Spend a bit more and use genuine.

11. Clibka Aug 24, 2016

My .02 ...

While some might find the patina of a "barn find" appealing, the one thing that can easily be and should be switched out is the crystal. The beauty lies in the dial/hands etc... If you leave it covered you miss out on that. One thing worth noting, if you get it replaced, retain the old one, if it ever changes hands to a new home they might like the extreme patina look/attention to detail you maintained. Example:

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony C. and JimInOz like this.
  12. DON Aug 25, 2016

Original vs. generic depending on the model I was restoring.

Average (although fully restored models) got generic crystals. These might include simple bumper models, however small second Seamaster models got signed as they were one of the more popular models.

Gold capped with with new hands got signed. Most De Ville models got generic unless at least 8.5/10 or higher.

More popular at the time got the added expense of a signed crystal as they were 5x the price of generic at the time (original $25.00)

DON

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 25, 2016

There are people out there who may not know any better who will tell you it makes no difference, but in some cases (with tension rings) is certainly does.

[​IMG]

Using a generic crystal can certainly cause problems, and I would seriously question leaving a watch with someone who tells you there's no difference...

14. papercrake Aug 29, 2016

Thanks so much for all the feedback folks. Is an OEM crystal something a decent watch maker will have access to, or is that something I will have to source myself and provide?

15. GuiltyBoomerang Aug 29, 2016

Watch makers will either have them on hand (if it's a commonly serviced model,) or will find out the part number from the watch caseback and order it. Usually they can be had from Cousins or Otto Frei; otherwise eBay; failing that, they would need an Omega Parts account.

papercrake likes this.
  16. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 30, 2016

Original Crystals if you can obtain one. For me are the only way to go. I just had a new Omega crystal installed on a vintage Omega the transformation was huge. The watch as purchased was wearing a generic crystal that had the wrong profile now all is well

17. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 30, 2016

So much great advice in this thread, I can't offer anything of much relevance.

So instead I'll just say I got a great Crystal set for our wedding a few years ago. All original.

18. voere pawn brokers are all about $$$ Aug 30, 2016

Depends the watchmaker I deal with could not source the correct crystal for an Omega from the 1940's. I tried several supply houses in the US with no luck. They all replied that crystal is discontinued and did not even have the part number. They all told me on their books it just mentioned discontinued. I had to source the crystal from the UK from Cousins supply house. So if the watchmaker or shop can not supply the part you will have to hunt the part down on your own The watchmaker I deal with has no issues with using customer supplied parts. However some watchmakers will not use customer supplied parts. I figure if it is an OEM new part no harm no foul just charge me a little more to install the crystal.
    Good Luck

Edited Aug 30, 2016
  19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 30, 2016

The concern with using customer supplied parts is not about some imagined profit on the purchase price of the part - it's not that simple. For me, it's about who takes ultimate responsibility for the final outcome, and what avenues of recourse are available to me as the person who will be held responsible. Each watchmaker has to decide for themselves how they approach this situation, but if I buy the parts myself, I know where they came from and know for sure that they are genuine.

The vendor you mention has their own line of replacement crystals "for Omega" that by all accounts are pretty terrible. I doubt they would sell you something as OEM that wasn't, however not every supplier has such scruples...

Cheers, Al

GuiltyBoomerang and papercrake like this.
  20. papercrake Aug 31, 2016

Thanks again folks, just sent it off to get serviced. Watchmaker is going to source the replacement crystal for me. Will post some photos when I get it back :)

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.