Forums Latest Members

How important is an Antimagnetic timepiece?

1. Ldy Grae Jun 20, 2017

After reading recent blogs on this subject, it appears that there is a direct relationship between how Antimagnetic a watch is and how often it needs service. I would love to hear from all you watch aficionados on this subject whether your watch got magnetized and how or if you have service experience. I know Omega is making watches to 15,000 gauss and that sounds impressive to me.

2. bubba48 Jun 20, 2017

In everyday life anti-magnetism is virtually useless IMO
    However, if necessary, a watchmaker solves the situation in seconds without opening the watch.
    It never happened to me, even with very old watches.

3. Rumar89 Jun 20, 2017

Guess that depends. If you work in a hospital, I would think it could be a very useful feature.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jun 20, 2017

Well for 100 years it's not been a big issue outside of some specialized needs. And many of us wear vintage pieces exclusively with little to no protection.

Yes mag fields have become more common the last 25 years... as omega wants us to think.

The real reason imho was Omega figured it out and added it as the newest and greatest thing and Rolex followed suit. Granted the Milguass was "first" but I bet more sold because of the green glass then for mag protection.

Yes it's a technological improvement, but I think it's of dubious need.

Ssunnylee24 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  5. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 20, 2017

The importance depends mainly on your occupation or where you spend a lot of time : are you a Doctor who works with MRI machines? Or an Engineer who works close to generators / transformers? Do you have any wireless power transfer devices? I believe even leaving your watch on your tablet/notebook long enough can magnetise it enough to throw the timing off. Don't put it too close to your loudspeakers either. But 15k Gauss is huge...just look at the picture

http://science.howstuffworks.com/question698.htm

http://wornandwound.com/watches-and-magnetization/

Edited Jun 20, 2017
  6. Wryfox Jun 20, 2017

I worry about this more today than I did 40yrs ago. Industrial environments used to be the only real threat . Now mag fields are all around us in daily life....such as in iPad/smartphone/laptop cases, purses, speakers, portable items of all kinds where magnets did not exist years ago. Albeit the risk is small, it is quite regular. Lay your wrist on an iPad magnet clasp and it will have an effect if placed on just the right spot. These little magnets are strong, small, cheap, effective, and quite useful. That's why they're everywhere.

While I agree a magnetized watch is easily rectified, you don't know for sure at the time why your watch is running poorly, therefore it's a PITA to figure out why as most will have to have a watchmaker look at it. An anti-magnetic watch eliminates this common risk that is now more prevalent. I suspect with material and process tech advancements, all mechanical watches will become anti mag in the near future.

Edited Jun 21, 2017
  7. cvera Jun 20, 2017

I asked a salesperson at the Rolex boutique if they planned on increasing the Gauss rating on the Milgauss. They asked me why and I responded that the Globemaster came in at 15,000 Gauss. They replied that they did not care what Omega was doing.

I work in an engineering environment so it is something I would like to have in a watch.

For what it's worth, I do not wear nice timepieces when I know I will be in a highly magnetic area and have not had an issue with any of my watches(none have anti magnetic properties).

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 20, 2017

The iPad Pro I just bought has some remarkably powerful magnets in it and the smart cover but even more than that, I took the lid off my Apple Pencil and dropped it on the keyboard of my 2016 Macbook Pro 15 and it went *shink* an inch and a half across the laptop then started vibrating on the right hand side of the wrist rest below the speaker grill, even through a 1mm thick piece of aluminium this laptop has some extremely powerful magnets which seem to be used to hold the lid firmly shut when the laptop is closed, and they are located precisely where your watch would be on your wrist, especially if you tilted your wrist over or allowed your watch to flop to the underside.

Even compared to the old MBP and the iPad Pro's cover system, this new MBP lid latching system is a far more powerful magnet.

cicindela likes this.
  9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2017

This is is where the magnets are by the way:

Ldy Grae likes this.
  10. tyrantlizardrex Jun 21, 2017

So taking my watch off to work on my laptop isn't crazy behaviour after all...

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2017

Depends what it is but yea I always do, aside from the scratches those magnets (as you see in the video above) are right where your wrist is and are very strong.

Thanks for not commenting on my gross bitten fingernails too btw :)

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  12. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 21, 2017

Like all things in life, there are always exceptions. I.e. if one has an e.g. PloProf that is a solid chunk of metal, has a solid case back, and also a solid metallic dial, thus all-together creating a solid enclosing faraday cage around the movement, it should be magnetically sealed enough to be every-day anti-magnetic...

EDIT : but perhaps not at 15k gauss...
    EDIT EDIT : I am sure the early 'anti magnetic' watches were created that way. In those days they couldnt manufacture silicon parts, the just wrap the movement in enough closed metal.

13. tyrantlizardrex Jun 21, 2017

Long time Macbook user here (from the first gen in 2006 looking at some receipts last week)... pesky magnets!

I never liked the feel of a watch bashing on a desk/keyboard... so have always taken them off, and always got teased by colleagues for being "precious"... was just bloody uncomfortable. :cautious:

I'll send you a pair of tweerzerman clippers and a file mate... maybe just chew gum instead? :thumbsup:

14. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 21, 2017

It also depends on the metal and composition, for example watches like the Ploprof come in both steel and titanium with the titanium being non-ferrous.

15. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 21, 2017

Aha yes :) And there is that too.

16. Ldy Grae Jun 21, 2017

I believe people are generally ignorant to the fact that there are more and more magnetic fields all around us and it's very common for watches to become magnetized... of course Rolex people are never on time anyway. Lol.

SeanotheDead and Thegreatroberto like this.
  17. Wryfox Jun 21, 2017

18. R3D9 Jun 21, 2017

Holy s*#t!!!

I'm never using my MacBook Pro again.

jumpingsecond likes this.
  19. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jun 21, 2017

Many metals do not offer any magnetic isolation: stainless steel, aluminum, etc. are totally transparent to magnetic fields. Faraday cages offer electromagnetic isolation (emi, microwave, etc) but not magnetic. For magnetic isolation, one needs soft steel (not stainless), mu-metal, etc. enclosure.

Michel

Archer likes this.
  20. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jun 21, 2017

Thx for the correction Michel :thumbsup: Faraday Cage is also hole-y, would wreak havoc when swimming. Apologies if I added misinformation to the thread.

Edited Jun 21, 2017