Forums Latest Members

How important is a great movement in a watch to you?

1. M'Bob Jun 8, 2017

One of my friends was waxing poetic on the internal condition of one of his guns, noting the fine finishing where no one typically sees it.

So it got me thinking: is a beautifully executed movement of any importance to you, as you typically don't get to enjoy it...or is a great case design and reliability satisfactory enough?

Folks rave about the 30T2rg, the Vacheron 1072, the Patek 12-600, just to name a few. Personally, it just gives me that extra kick knowing the watch has all those nice chamfers, finishing, waves, etc., like further confirmation that someone's hand was involved in producing something of beauty. What say you, oh astute horological brethren?

2. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jun 8, 2017

Well, I just picked up this Dreffa Chrono. I had never heard of Dreffa before, but a little research and it turns out the company has some history.
    what really drew me to this watch, beyond the Heuer like appearance, is the movement. The Valjoux 7730 movement is really nice.
    2017-05-19 022.JPG
    For comparison a 7730 from a Heuer
    heuer.jpg

2017-05-22 001.JPG
  3. abrod520 Jun 8, 2017

Great movements are cool, but it's much better when you can either see them through a display caseback, or simply take the back off with a tool to view them. The Jaeger-LeCoultre on my wrist today, being a diver, has a solid caseback with a proprietary opening process, meaning I'll never be able to see the movement in person :(

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 8, 2017

Buying a diver for the movement is like visiting a prostitute for intellectual stimulation. ;)

José9, aap, Wibbles and 14 others like this.
  5. abrod520 Jun 8, 2017

Ohhh, I didn't buy it for the movement - not by a long shot... but it'd be nice to see, especially since J-LC is (or at least was) held in such high regard for their movements.

Foo2rama likes this.
  6. abrod520 Jun 8, 2017

Kinda like if you visited a prositute who then informed you she had a degree in astrophysics. You'll get what you came for, but why ignore something like that?

José9, aap, Davidt and 13 others like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jun 8, 2017

Is that a thinly veiled Black Hole joke? :rolleyes:

Cad290, Deafboy, aap and 5 others like this.
  8. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jun 8, 2017

I'll ignore the sophomoric banter...although kudos to @Tony C.

The watches I own get me going for the factory finish and patina...the movement is secondary, although a 321 is a thing of beauty.

My only really pretty movement is my Zenith, and it sure is pretty.

If you want want a killer movement, buy a railroad watch per @Bill Sohne

9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 8, 2017

yup... its all about what's under the hood....
    P1020848.JPG P1010355.JPG P1000484.JPG

Matty01, river rat, Maybe and 9 others like this.
  10. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Jun 9, 2017

Or...what's under two hoods. :thumbsup:

IMG_5875.JPG

IMG_5876.JPG

IMG_5880.JPG

Matty01, Maybe, Greatoldone and 6 others like this.
  11. ras47 Jun 9, 2017

For me it's all about reliability and accuracy. I'm not into the aesthetics of the movement.

12. Kmart Jun 9, 2017

With the kind of watches I buy I very rarely get to see the movement, and it's usually nothing special anyway. However there are few things more beautiful than a well finished chronograph movement... especially when it's operating.

[​IMG]

mollydooker, MikiJ, Matty01 and 5 others like this.
  13. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 9, 2017

A nice movement is crucial.

A 1968 Dodge Charger ...
    [​IMG]

... is just wrong with slant 6-cylinder engine.
    [​IMG]

More appropriate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 9, 2017

All things being equal, who doesn't want both? All of it's important, and I think that on a watch by watch basis, don't we all sort of decide what we'll ignore/forgive in the calculation of "just how much perfection am I getting here?"

Accuracy over beauty in my book, though.

Currently in a monogamous relationship with my (214270) Explorer 1. Getting about +10s/month. A remarkable movement - the 3132 calibre.

Mad Dog, Fritz and kkt like this.
  15. M'Bob Jun 9, 2017

You mean, like, you go to the boutique, and they say, "Hey, we have this great Speedmaster, but we also have one here where the movement has been polished, beveled, Geneva-waved by our master watchmaker...which one do you want, they are the same price?" All things are never equal...hence the question.

Rman likes this.
  16. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 10, 2017

Hmm.

Well, it's true that for some watches it's not really possible to have both.

I was speculating that probably many of us are enamored of -- and desirous of -- watches where every aspect, inside and out, is pretty much a beauty to behold (@Kmart 's Lange for example), but when that's not possible or not affordable, we decide, watch by watch, which shortcoming to forgive. And of course price is always a factor.

And now to maintain what I hope is my cheeky cred, I offer all emojis for your consideration:
    :);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes::cautious::coffee::thumbsup::thumbsdown::whistling::unsure::whipped::whipped:::book::::censored::::bleh::::yawn::::love::::confused2::::popcorn::::screwloose::::shy:::taunt:::rant:::rimshot::::puke::::facepalm1::::facepalm2::::psy::::stirthepot::

One extra: :)

17. Edward53 Jun 10, 2017

I think the answer to the title question is "Desirable but not essential". Serious collectors being the perfectionists they are, I doubt there are many who wouldn't prefer a movement finished like the Dreffa that's shown above to the standard factory spec if a watch came with both options. Personally I would enjoy knowing it's there even if I couldn't see it. Obviously there are lots of excellent watches that come with the standard factory spec and even if I were a billionaire watch collector I wouldn't be stupid enough to reject them on that account. Given the choice, I would not object to paying the luxury tax of a whole lot more just to get that little extra which makes something the best, but I don't have that choice and so I just buy the nicest I can justify to myself. It seems not unreasonable to suppose that this is true of most other watch collectors.

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2017

Its not critical to me as long as it isn't a crap movement or one that's impossible to maintain. I've loved some 7750 powered watches a great deal and while they're "great" in the sense of being very, very good in about every tangible sense, they're not "great" in a historically significant / beautiful / special sense.

I have dealt with watches with movements that were just genuinely crap, and poorly engineered (PAM321 springs to mind) and I would avoid those any chance I can.

19. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2017

Typically there is a correlation....

Just a thought

micampe and Modest_Proposal like this.
  20. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 10, 2017

My first car was a 72 doge dart swinger w a 225 great motor ..... never failed.

ahsposo, noelekal and Mad Dog like this.