Forums Latest Members
  1. Bumper Dec 18, 2018

After buying a speedmaster date in 2006, i decided to google for Omega watches & was blown away by the amount of info that came up. I started going through all the results & realised that Omega had vintage watches. That caught my fancy even more, there were some great collector's blogs & sites that are no longer around, www.30T2.com was one of my favourites, It blew my mind that this one guy ( was it Per?) had so many Omegas, and, that Omega had so many different models. That blog was one of the reasons i got into vintage watches.

So before i start this post proper, here's the disclaimer for all the trolls and strawberries:

1. I do not profess to be an expert on watches/vintage watches/the authority on Omega watches, vintage or modern/web searches/watch research/valuation, etc this is, as the title states, how i do my research & assess potential additions to my collection.

2. I have no connection to any of the links used in this post, i am neither advertising for them, nor promoting their sites. They are purely used as examples. All credit for the photos go to the sites.

3. For the purpose of illustrating this post, i will stick to Vintage Omega watches as much as possible.

4. I will be starting with the basics, you may have similar methods, but please do not construe this as my proclaiming that "my method is better than yours" & proceed to debate, if in doubt, read the title again.

5. If i have made any mistakes or errors, they are all mine, i am still learning, if you would be so kind as to point out the mistakes, i can edit them out.

How to search?
    These days, there is a lot more data available & searching itself is a skill. Just typing "Omega watches" will bring up a lot of watch traders, dealers, grey market sellers, etc. Your searches have to be specific.

I used to spend at least 4 to 5 hours a day going through websites, blogs, dealer's pages, forums, etc. It was after 1 to 2 months of this that i bought my first watch online, and the first few i bought were still rough. Admittedly, i was afraid of the more expensive watches & i started out with the cheaper auctions on ebay.

*Pause for a rant*

Before you read on,

- If you want to buy a watch & have no idea what to buy, don't buy one, don't put up a "what watch should i buy" post.
    - If you want to buy a watch & have to ask strangers on the internet which watch you should buy, don't buy one, don't put up a "which watch should i buy" post.
    - If you have narrowed down your search to 2, maybe 3 models, decide which you like the best / suits your lifestyle / suits your budget / suits the look you are going for, and buy it. Ultimately, it's a personal choice & you should make the decision. I haven't seen any "which girl / guy should i marry" posts, if you understand how that is a personal choice, than this point should be understood.
    - If you are offended by these points, you can stop reading right here. It says a lot that these days you have to put up disclaimers for everything.

If you are a noob and have no idea which model you like, how much it may cost & how many variations there are,
    a basic search would be "Vintage Omega Watch"

Vintage Omega Watch

Still, a lot of dealers come up, so if you are looking for info rather than a dealer, variations on this search would be;

Vintage Omega Watch Blog
    Vintage Omega Watch Collector

Get the idea? Vintage Omega Model / Manual Wind / Automatic / Stainless Steel, the permutations are endless. Now if you want to skip reading through all the sites & look at photos till one catches your eye, click on "images" at the top of the page.

upload_2018-12-18_10-52-59.png
    If an image does catch your eye, click on it, some info about the image will come up. Also, similarly titled pics are shown on the right.

Lets start with a manual wind
    upload_2018-12-18_11-21-1.png

Lets say you decide that this is really nice and you've followed the link to the page

https://vintagecaliber.de/collections/archive/products/1949-omega-ref-2639-radium-dial

The watch has been sold & it doesn't display the selling price. But, you now know these details;

- It's from 1949
    - it's reference is 2639
    - It's a manual wind
    - Case is 35.5mm
    - Caliber is a 265
    - Serial number on the movement is 11720995

What do you do with this info? For anyone interested in Vintage Omega watches, this site is a valuable resource.

https://www.omegawatches.com/vintage-watches

Type 2639 into the search bar & hit enter, you're lucky & have a hit. ( Just btw, Not all the references are in the database, not all the results have a picture)

Omega also has 4 digit, 5 digit 6 & 7 digit references
    - 145.022 ( Sometimes these show no results, but adding an extra 0 as in the next line, may yield results)
    upload_2018-12-18_13-33-33.png

Click on the result
    upload_2018-12-18_13-38-16.png
    upload_2018-12-18_13-38-37.png

Does the data match the details of the watch?

Now google for "Omega Serial Numbers"

I normally use the one found on Chronomaddox
    upload_2018-12-18_13-42-51.png

- Serial number of 11720995 dates it to about 1949,
    - Manual wind Cal 265 is correct for the model

What is an Omega cal 265? If you are unsure, this site will tell you more, another very valuable resource.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&1ranfft&b0&2uswk&Omega_265

upload_2018-12-18_14-9-41.png
    So now you know what a cal 265 looks like & that it should have 15 jewels

Now go back & look at the watch again, the first pic doesn't look bad...
    [​IMG]

Note how the hands look fine in the pic above, but at a different angle, you can see that they are rusty.

This is why you ask for pics from all angles.

The crystal looks new, & the case looks like it has been given a light polish. I can't tell from the pics if the crown has been changed.
    [​IMG]

Close up of the dial shows the patina isn't as attractive as the first pic & the sub second hand isn't black, it's rust!
    [​IMG]

There is pitting on the case back,
    [​IMG]

The movement looks a little worn honestly, it's not the bright copper colour you normally see ( as in the pic from ranfft), not the cleanest,
    but certainly not the worst.
    [​IMG] View attachment 675214

So this watch has
    - a lightly polished case
    - pitting in the case back
    - some patina on the dial
    - rusty hands
    - tired looking movement = may have had a lot of work done given the condition of hands, but not recently, judging by how it looks.

I might be interested if the price was right, certainly not for $1200. But, given all the conditions together, i would pass.

Edit*

Forgot to add these points;
    - Whenever there is a "Is this watch real? / Is this a real / authentic Omega " post, this is what you are asking someone to do for you. Now you can see what is involved, be patient. It requires a bit of time & some research.

- If you decide that you like the look of this model & want to get one, keep crib notes. I did this for the watches i wanted so i didn't have to check every single time.

Omega 2639 Manual wind with sub-second
    - reference 2639
    - from 1949
    - manual wind
    - Case is 35.5mm
    - Caliber is a 265 / 266
    - Serial number on the movement from 11,6xx,xxx to 12,xxx,xxx

Next time my boss is out of the office, i will do an automatic model & what to look out for. Thanks for reading.

upload_2018-12-18_14-27-51.png
    Edited Dec 23, 2018
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 18, 2018

Excellent guide for new entrants to this crazy hobby.

I've had more Lagavulin than is good for comprehension so I'll leave my detailed reading until tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

3. Edward53 Dec 18, 2018

Lots of really useful stuff here. Every beginner should read this.

jshaw083, Bumper and murph like this.
  4. loniscup Dec 18, 2018

That's very informative!! Thanks for this

Bumper likes this.
  5. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Dec 18, 2018

Do not rely too much on the photos supplied by Omega database. Lots of them are redials.

6. bucksandreds Dec 18, 2018

Perfect for a newbie like me. I learned what you explained in a few paragraphs the hard way yesterday after being berated by several posters over 4 pages. This post is awesome.

Bumper likes this.
  7. rob#1 Dec 18, 2018

Excellent, thanks for the input

Bumper likes this.
  8. trash_gordon Dec 18, 2018

That's how it needs to be done. Great post. Thank you

Bumper likes this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 18, 2018

Very informative, and very well done. Thank you for taking the time to develop such a good post. :thumbsup:

Bumper likes this.
  10. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2018

Great post ... but What’s a “strawberry”?

Bumper likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Dec 18, 2018

Actually that’s an important add. Don’t pull the trigger while enjoying a fine dram or three by a winter fire.

12. Bumper Dec 18, 2018

Didn't realise this had an asian origin. The strawberry generation bruises easily & is more fragile

13. Speedmasterfan88 Dec 18, 2018

This should be read by every nooby looking into the hobby.

Thanks for your effort! Well done!

Mods? Sticky?

heavenscloud and Bumper like this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 18, 2018

So is a strawberry tougher than a snowflake. ::confused2::

15. KingCrouchy Dec 18, 2018

Thanks, was very informative and well written!

Bumper likes this.
  16. Skrv Dec 18, 2018

Very helpful for a newbie like me. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Bumper likes this.
  17. bama2141 Dec 18, 2018

Excellent post and solid technique. I would add, though, at the conclusion of your individual research, ask someone you trust for their opinion. That could be this forum, or other enthusiasts. Let them know what you discovered and see what else they might be able to discern. In the end it’s your decision to buy or not, but the collective wisdom should always help the process.

Bumper and Muddlerminnow like this.
  18. mexi-jew Dec 18, 2018

thanks. confirms what ive been thinking. this game is too complicated and competitive for me.

Bumper and Vercingetorix like this.
  19. Rochete Dec 18, 2018

Excellent post, should be a sticky.

Bumper likes this.
  20. Lbreak Dec 18, 2018

It's a really informative read, thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge here!

Bumper likes this.