Forums Latest Members

How hard is it to repair a clock...

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 4, 2016

Like a 6 ft tall grandfather clock?

Supposedly only needs maintainence...

Could this be tackled by a smarty-pants guy as myself?

Jwit likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Oct 4, 2016

Depends on how good your aim is with WD40. :D

Jwit likes this.
  3. Canuck Oct 4, 2016

I'm going to say no, it is very unlikely you would be able to do a complete professional repair. Depending on which movement your clock has and if a replacement movement is available, it might make better sense to replace rather than repair. And if you don't want to sabotage the clock and render it un-repairable, don't use WD40! However, if it's full speed ahead and damn the torpedoes, I wish you luck!

However, if your short term goal is to simply make it run, and if you succeed, well done!

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 4, 2016

I've done a few clocks, looks simple but frustrating and a PITA. Rather work on a watch.

5. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Oct 4, 2016

Clocks are almost never DYI because they're almost never maintained properly and the oval holes have to be bushed back to straight.

Tom

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. barmy Oct 5, 2016

Been taking weekly lessons for more than a year. For a master it might take 5-6 hours. For me, about 15-20 hours (if it chimes and strikes).
    - take it apart (Using a phone camera to photo location of each part), label each part (time, strike or chime), clean parts (ultra sonic), partially reassemble checking on pivots, take apart and bush and polish all pivots, check and straighten any arbors that need attention, reassemble completely, lube with clock oil, run on a test stand making any adjustments that are needed (putting into beat) and finally remount.

Alternatively spray it with WD40 and have it run for another year or two, and than sell it because WD40 doesn't work any more or pay someone $300-500 to do it properly

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 5, 2016

No. It's not only beyond the skill level of the typical "smarty-pants guy" like yourself, it can be dangerous...

https://omegaforums.net/threads/these-things-scare-me.23641/#post-259054

But let us know how it turns out.

8. Canuck Oct 5, 2016

Don't really think you will have to contend with mainsprings on a weight driven clock! Just the same, if you tackle this job, be sure to let us know of the end result, and how much the professional clock guy is going to charge you to salvage what's left after all your screw ups!

9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Oct 5, 2016

I know a guy who does both clock and watch maintenance. He says clocks take more time to disassemble and adjust than watches. Charges twice as much for the clock service than a watch service.

10. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Oct 5, 2016

OK, I gather there is consensus for don't do it. :thumbsup:

Yes I'm easily scared ... Quite squirrelly, actually...:D

Edited Oct 5, 2016
  11. Impondering Doesn't actually ponder all that much. Oct 5, 2016

And DO NOT SPRAY WITH WD40!

I am curious if it's a two or three weight.