Forums Latest Members

How fast crown spins at opposite direction when winding

1. Ree Aug 9, 2016

I have owned several Speedmasters with 1861 movements to date, mostly those produced >2013.
    Recently I added a 2003 Speedy 1861 into the collection. It's in an unworn, unserviced condition (red seal intact).

I noticed that with this older speedy, the speed at which the crown spins at opposite direction when winding is different from the newer model.
    Particularly, it's rotating a bit slower than my newer models. Almost took like 0.5-1s of backward movement from the time I release the crown to its settled position. With newer ones, it's as instant as being barely noticable.
    Is this something to be worried about? Perhaps the previous owner dropped the watch or something?
    Or simply because it's 13y.o. and unserviced?
    Any insights would greatly be appreciated as I've never owned early 2000s models before.
    I plan on keeping the watch unserviced and unused as collectible if possible, with red seal intact.

2. Canuck Aug 10, 2016

I think I understand what you are asking. With manual wind watches, the movements are designed to unwind a tiny bit, when the crown is released, after being fully wound. Even when NOT having been fully wound, the crown should always back up a bit when released. This phenomenon may be far less noticeable when you manually wind an automatic wind watch. If this doesn't answer the question I think you are asking, get back to us. No watch repairer will be able to eliminate this phenomenon as it is built into watches by the manufacturer. It would not be caused by a previous owner having dropped the watch, And it is nothing to worry about!

Edited Aug 10, 2016
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 10, 2016

The "unwinding" (second thread on this lately) is caused by the backlash as the mainspring tries to unwind and is trapped by the click as it moves backward. The amount of unwind is generally dependant on the relationship between the ratchet wheel and the click at the moment you stop winding. There are also clearances/tolerances in manufacture and assembly that affect this amount. It can var from watch to watch as well as being different in respective brands.

A watch in good condition and recently serviced usually allows the crown to unwind immediately.
    A watch that hasn't been serviced for 13 years most likely has dried out oils that can gum up the mainspring and winding train and old seals can also tighten things up. If you aren't going to wear it, put it away but get it serviced before using it again.

4. Ree Aug 10, 2016

@Canuck yes I think it's normal. Just that this older one is a bit slower in the release. If you think it's not dropped than that's a huge relief!:thumbsup:
    @JimInOz the dried oil! I guess that must be it then.
    Thank you so much guys for the quick response, this forum has been a great help.

I suppose the watch is fine then, just need to be serviced before wearing it for daily.
    Once again thank you.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 10, 2016

Actually in many cases a freshly serviced watch with a new crown (new seals) will unwind slower due to the seal on the case tube from the crown causing drag...this is more influenced by the condition of the crown and case tube than the movement in my experience. If the movement is gummed up enough to prevent this, it usually isn't in running condition.

Cheers, Al

Euxinus and JimInOz like this.