Forums Latest Members

How durable is a 30t2 for everyday use and Motorcycles?

1. Hotwheelbill Mar 16, 2014

I am going for a little ride this morning with some other riders. In weather as nice as this, we will do between 250-300 miles. Wanting to wear my new 1940's watch but not sure how it will hold up to my plans to wear it a good bit. So any input?
    BTY, its a Honda not HD. :)

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

I think you'll be find as long as you don't fall off :)

ron n likes this.
  3. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Personally I wouldn't.

In this weather you'll soak the strap in sweat too...

Wear a quartz beater instead

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

I've seen a Seiko Spring Drive shake apart on a BMW.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

Lets see.....the RAF used 'em, the US Army used 'em, actually just about everybody,on both sides, who participated in Hitler's World Tour used 'em.

and mine has spent days out on the bike without missing a beat and I've had some real paintshakers.

Go for it.

Just remember to pocket it if it starts to rain (I keep a zip lock bag in each of my bikes for such emergencies)

P1000519.JPG

6. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Yes, but some of those BMW Boxers can shake a man apart :)

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

As I've said before it's not so much a question of whether the watch can take vibration, it's more a question of whether you have an "incident" and want to expose a good piece to the consequences of that.

Nobody, especially experienced riders, ever thinks they're going to come off a bike until less than a second before they hit the ground.

Tire-comedon, Mothra and Fritz like this.
  8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

This is a great shot of a Rolex Sea-Dweller after a bike and its rider parted ways. This one's not all that bad really, a sapphire and a bezel and its probably ready for duty again, but your 30T2 doesn't have sapphire or an easily changed aluminium bezel

SDinAccident202.jpg

9. ron n Mar 16, 2014

R

Riding police motorcycles for 12 years, I had a set of revolver grips and leather belt holster that looked just like that.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

I can't totally agree with that, an experienced and realistic rider knows that sooner or later they're likely to come off (maybe "again"), its accepting and managing the risks that lets you carry on, these are the guys you see wearing the better riding gear and taking better care of their machinery. Its the guys who think it won't happen to them that seem to pay the price more often as they add stupidity into the equation (speed + crap tires + Newcastle Brown Ale =)

350.000km and 30 bikes later..... I've been off a few times at speeds ranging from "well isn't that stupid, you crashed while parked" to "oh my,this will hurt won't it" (or words to that effect)

you think I would learn.::screwloose::

last ticket: 103 in a 60....

Hotwheelbill likes this.
  11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

"well isn't that stupid, you crashed while parked"

I love that

12. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Well perhaps I was a little too brief, but I think we are saying the same thing. For me, not wearing a collectible or vintage watch is part of managing the risks and probability of coming off again.

It's just that nobody sets out on a ride thinking "today I'm going to fall off" - it would be so much easier if we knew ;). That was what I meant. When it does happen you are trying to manage the situation & avoid a problem right up until the moment you do actually come off.

13. Hotwheelbill Mar 16, 2014

Hey, I'm back.....alive.:)
    Thanks for the input. It is true that I had not considered the watch getting damaged in that manner. (I do ride ATGATT bty). I just wanted to show it a little today and will grab the Seiko next time but I will not have an concerns about vibration when I do chose to wear it on a ride now and then.

14. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

TWICE!!!

Once, playing at trials rider while turning the bike in a tight parking area: I can make this turn (its an enduro bike after all).... full lock... light throttle.... up on the pegs..... BAM.... my buddy, in whose driveway I'm "parked", looks over his hedge and says "what the hell was that?" I'm just standing on the other side of the hedge smiling at him kinda sheepish like, so he looks over to see whats going on and finds me standing on top of my bike. We both laughed pretty hard at that one.

Second time, sitting at a light, newish Ninja sportbike under my backside, and I hear the unmistakable sound of tires shreading as the guy behind me notices the light is red and locked them up solid. I have that golden "second before you hit the ground" that SpikiSpikester described, where you know whats coming and can do exactly dick about it. Turkey sent me high enough that I had time to think about it before I landed on top of the now laying down bike which is wedge halfway under the car in front. Walked away very banged up but was riding again the next day (other bike).....

lets hear it for quality helmets (needed replacement) and top quality riding jackets (still wearing it)

so there you go, crashed trice at zero KPH...... quite the claim to fame actually.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2014

I have had 3 cars crash into me from behind. I was stopped all 3 times, and thankfully each time I was in a car or I would not be here right now as all 3 were pretty heavy impacts (two of those were in my Jag, and it was major work both times).

Not to mention the time I was hit broadside - on the passenger side thankfully - by a train (long story). I stick to cars and trucks - more protection.

Going back to high school days I know at least 5 people killed in motorbike accidents, and a couple more who were maimed pretty badly. Not for me.

Cheers, Al

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2014

That'll buff right out.

heavenscloud and John R Smith like this.
  17. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

Gentlemen.... hit by a train..... we have our winner.

Al, if I had any brains..... and its a well know fact that I don't (frozen in Siberia.... again, another story)...... I wouldn't ride bikes, but we've all got our issues. Maybe one day I'll smarten up, but I doubt it.

In the ultimate double standard, I talked both of my boys out of having bikes. The roads were safer way back when I started out (no cell phones), I can't imagine being a new rider on today's roads!

Especially with all those loose trains running around! ;)

How did you manage to get clipped by one anyway.... come on.... fess up!

18. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2014

Conveniently if someone rear ended you in the Vanden Plas, you're still technically about 4 meters away from the seen of the accident.

19. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Mar 16, 2014

and it likely was headed to the shop anyway:rolleyes:

LouS likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 16, 2014

Actually it rarely ended up at "the shop", but only because I have a good friend who was a Jaguar Master Mechanic at the time, and he would fix it at his house quite often. He was the only reason I had that car for the 7 years I did! He is now a top BMW mechanic, and that is what my wife and I have both driven for the last 8 cars between us. My wife says "never again" for a Jag, but I have to say I really like the F-Type!