Forums Latest Members
  1. pitpro Likes the game. Dec 23, 2013

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 23, 2013

Obvious wear issues, but looks original to me.

3. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 24, 2013

If you look carefully at the left index near the 12 hour subdial, you'll notice it oversteps a little. At least that what it looks like to me. It's at the very least not even with the right one. Don't you think so?

The other pictures in the Ebay auction make this more clear.

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 24, 2013

I do not know what you are referring to, and very much doubt that the dial is not original.

5. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 24, 2013

The applied index near the 12 hour subdial looks to be crossing over the subdial. At least that's what it looks like to me, in some of the other pictures. That's all I'm saying.

The rest looks good.

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 24, 2013

I remain confused. Near the 12 hour subdial? There are no applied indexes remotely close to the top (i.e. 12:00) subdial. In fact, the only applied index that might be construed (I'd argue misconstrued) as crossing over a subdial is the 7:00 marker. I don't believe that to be the case, though, and would argue that it is a shadow.

For future reference, if you are going to refer to an applied index, why not simply refer to the precise hour?

7. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 25, 2013

I don't mean the 12th hour of the 12 hour subdial. I meant simply the 12 hour subdial, as I said. You're right. It's the 7 hour marker. I don't see a difference between the identifications.

In any case, I disagree. Here is a face shot and an enlarged look. I believe that the sides are not symmetrical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 26, 2013

This dial is so sharp, I can't see how it isn't original. At least with repsect to the printing.

It is possible that the marker fell off or became loose and was repaired long ago. It is also possible that the original dial work was slighly off.

We sometimes forget that manufacturers in the 1930's and '40's didn't have some of the modern tools and techniques that exist today. I have seem similar anomolies on Omega chronographs.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 26, 2013

I agree with this view, and do not believe that the marker issue undercuts the conclusion that the dial is original.

10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 26, 2013

I agree as well. As I said, the rest of the dial looks good.