Forums Latest Members

How does PO 8500 compare to Moonwatch?

1. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Pretty straightforward guys, I have a PO 8500 which is a beauty. I'm trying to see how it compares to a Speedy Pro. The issue I have with the 8500 is that it is quite dense of a time piece. Curious if anyone owns both? I will probably stop at an AD in the near future myself.

DSC_0005 (1).jpg
  2. chich Jan 18, 2017

I have a 2500 and a speedy pro, so not too far off your question. In a nutshell - they're two entirely different time pieces. The speedy is super light, quite thin and you practically don't feel it on the wrist. It's much more subdued and less showy. I can pass the speedy off for a dressier watch when on a leather strap, but tend not to wear it in casual situation because of that. It also feels a bit more fragile and I'm careful I don't take it into the water.

The PO on the other hand wears much heavier and chunkier on the wrist. It's built like a tank and you definitely know you're wearing it! It also feels a little bit more imposing and showy.

For me, my PO is the most versatile watch I own and is at home at the office or at the beach. If I needed to be a one-watch guy, that would by my choice.

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 18, 2017

I have both, and agree they are two entirely different pieces. I started with a Sinn diver, so I was used to a big chunky watch, so when I got the PO it felt pretty similar. It is a bit flashy, but not too horrible in that respect. But once I got a Speedmaster, I came to appreciate the reduced thickness and weight. Now I wear a Tin Tin as my primary watch, and the PO and Sinn see limited duty.

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Lol thats funny because my daily beater watch is a Sinn 104. This guy is more of my daily wearer since its is more subtle which is more my style. I am thinking of trading my PO for a speedy one day. Don't get me wrong I think the PO is an amazing timepiece as well.

Collection.jpg
  5. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Also you have any side by side pics of the two? Just want to see how different they are respectively.

6. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 18, 2017

My Sinn is a UX, so I think it's a little bulkier.

I don't have any side-by-side photos, but will be happy to take some and post for you. I can do it tonight. I'll shoot the Sinn, PO and Tin Tin.

7. Linzer Jan 18, 2017

45.5mm PO 2500 and a Speedy pro. I hope it helps.
    DSC07126.JPG
    DSC07127.JPG

8. rcs914 Jan 18, 2017

That's funny - I actually had never noticed that the lugs are very similar in shape. Which I know sounds kind of crazy, but I don't own a PO. I had initially thought of replying to this thread with something like "Well they both have Omega on it, I guess that's one way they compare" but there is actually a bit more similar styling than I realized.

Foo2rama likes this.
  9. dhagema Jan 18, 2017

IMO the Speedy Pro is the best value in watches- you can find new for about $3300 US (Jomashop) and they now come in a fantastic display case, and include a velcro NASA strap. You can't get that much heritage for anywhere near that price.... an eternal classic.

10. ohmzx Jan 18, 2017

I was in the same boat as you last year when I decided to buy a PO8500, as seen in my profile pic. I love the watch very much. I use it as my everyday wear and it is perfect for everyday wear since it has date and automatic mechanism. You can check the date everyday at work. However, the speedy will wear smaller and thinner but it will show the classic look tho. I'm looking to buy a speedy maybe toward the end of year when i save up enough money. It will by my weekend watch. if you are looking for an everyday wear, buy a PO being so dense is a cool factor for me.

11. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

I love the PO but as you can see it sits a bit larger for me.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  12. Linzer Jan 18, 2017

I think it fits you well. :thumbsup:

Sidrox25 likes this.
  13. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 18, 2017

I own both, happen to be wearing the P.O. today on the OEM bracelet. Yes, it's a big chunk O' steel -- especially with the bracelet. I also have the OEM rubber strap which takes a lot of weight off. Sometimes I get in the mood for chunky and actually enjoy the weightiness and the way it can't be easily hid under a shirt cuff. It's a watch that's hard to forget you're wearing.

The Speedmaster Pro with acrylic crystal feels much lighter, even when it's on an OEM bracelet. If you put it on a leather strap you could forget you're wearing it (if it weren't for all those times you pull back your shirt cuff to admire it :)) If a Speedmaster Pro is shiny and not too beat up you can sneak it in as a tool-y dress watch, especially if it's on a nice leather strap.

Edited Jan 18, 2017
  14. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Question will the OEM rubber strap fit a 6" wrist or is too large?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. ohmzx Jan 18, 2017

Is that the 45.5?

16. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

No that's the 42mm, that is the extreme limit of what I can wear.

17. ohmzx Jan 18, 2017

Ya that looks about the max you can wear. Looks nice tho. Beefy is good.

18. Sidrox25 Jan 18, 2017

Thanks, even that feels too large for me, but other 42mm fit right. All depends on the watch I guess.

19. Baz9614 Jan 18, 2017

Agreed! My PO is my summer/vacation do everything watch, and my speedy splits time with my SM300 165.024BT the rest of the time

PO 2500C IMG_0015.JPG
    And my Speedy Pro 145.012
    IMG_4658.JPG

nonuffinkbloke and Badwolf like this.
  20. tigerpac Jan 18, 2017

FWIW. Had a PO 8500 45.5 but sold it because it wasn't getting enough wrist time. The heft eventually got to me. Got a CK2998 LE last year that I'm still quite enjoying. Good luck with whatever you choose!