Forums Latest Members
  1. Maximus84 Nov 29, 2014

As I have documented, I've recently acquired a lovely new Speedy Pro. It's everything I wanted it to be, however I'm struggling to find a good fit with the bracelet.

I only have slim wrists (6-6.5 inch) and was a little worried the 42mm case might be a bit big. It's not, but the bracelet is causing me problems.

I had to have 4 links taken out. Initially 2 were taken from each side. However, the inside of the clasp (the bit that folds) kind of stuck out the side of my wrist, not following the curvature of my wrist. So, a link was taken from that end, and put back on the other side. The inner bit of the clasp now fits within the curvature of the wrist, but with one link out of one side, and three the other, it looks a bit uneven. From what I've read online, you should aim to take links out as evenly as possible.

Anyone (particularly those with smaller wrists!) have any advice? I realise everyone is different, in size, shape and preference, but I just wondered if there were any good 'rules of thumb' to follow. It fits reasonably comfortably (if a little tighter than my last watch) but the bracelet on the inside looks oddly too short!

A very minor, perhaps obsessive point to post over, but I like things to be perfect!

Thanks!

2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Nov 29, 2014

The trick is to have the watch case centred on you upper wrist and the clasp centred on your lower wrist - in other words both watch head and clasp are located on the two flat parts of your wrist. This helps to ensure that the watch doesnt migrate to one side or the other of your wrist.

So it's really a case of experimentation. If three links out of one side means the clasp isn't centred, then it's a matter of adding and subtracting links until it does.

Good luck in your efforts to tweak the beast into submission.

Desmond

3. Maximus84 Nov 29, 2014

Thanks - with two out either side it seemed unbalanced due to the folding part sticking out, now it seems unbalanced because there are two more links in that side. The current arrangement is what was recommended by the jeweller at the AD, but I'm not convinced. Anyways, pictures paint a thousand words; this is how it is now. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

4. Fretworker Nov 29, 2014

A fine strap maybe?

5. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Nov 29, 2014

This and a few other Nato straps. I recently purchased a vintage leather NATO but it hasn't arrived yet. I tend to change the look of most of my watches often, I also use with the Speedy the strap you see on my avatar on the seamster. But black and black and grey and Green are the better looking I think.

x84455-8682f4bcdca626607bad4ab7c2893c44.jpg.pagespeed.ic.Lk5CDxc0LV.jpg x84456-84986dbe88491add238cf1841b8c608e.jpg.pagespeed.ic.EVwlSlClPd.jpg x84457-d2d6a89e60c816210d400f5145f8e58e.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AShJZ7j0O-.jpg
    George.A and nlogax like this.
  6. Mothra Nov 29, 2014

Give it a couple of days and see how it beds in.. I wear some of my bracelets unbalanced - usually longer on the upper stretch

Maximus84 likes this.
  7. Maximus84 Nov 29, 2014

Thanks, I might do that. By upper stretch do you mean the bit on the outside of the wrist, like mine is?

Edited Nov 30, 2014
    Gavin likes this.
  8. jud Nov 29, 2014

I try to put the longer side on the 12 o'clock side, I'll be interested to hear how others wear theirs.

9. Maximus84 Nov 29, 2014

Interesting. It's not something I've really thought about on other watches, but as my first real expensive watch purchase that I've obsessed over for months, I want it to be right!

Also, one of the adjusted links is really stiff - I think the jeweller put too much thread-lock on the screw cover...

10. Watchguy31-us Nov 29, 2014

Hey there...

I have exactly the same size wrist. I simply cannot wear a speedy bracelet. The fit of the Speedmaster is so dependent on being centered, I have to wear a leather strap to keep it snug enough.

With a larger wrist, it can slide around a little, but I've found that if it isn't centered on my wrist, it is just uncomfortable.

Maximus84 likes this.
  11. Mothra Nov 30, 2014

Yep!

12. speedbird Nov 30, 2014

I wear mine fast and loose, just like my... Oh wait!

epl108 likes this.
  13. Maximus84 Dec 2, 2014

OK, so I went back to the AD to get that stiff link looked at (it's sorted now) and spoke to the guy in there about my bracelet predicament. He advised I keep it as is. Although the external part of the clasp is slightly over to one side, the internal bit (that folds over) extends to make the whole thing central. He said if we take a link from one side and add to the other it'll probably unbalance that but, and the folding bit would stick out the side of my wrist.

I guess my wrists are not only small, but an odd shape and between a perfect size. I like the look of the bracelet so will see how I get on, but it's a bit of a shame.

14. Hijak Dec 2, 2014

Is not a half link an option? Used one on my speedmaster Gemini IV and it solved the problem for me.

15. Maximus84 Dec 2, 2014

That would probably be ideal, but I don't think they do half-links on this particular bracelet. Happy to be corrected though!

16. alam Dec 2, 2014

I switched to an Omega racing strap with deployment buckle and enjoy this configuration much better than the bracelet!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 2, 2014

I've got mine on Omega mesh. Almost infinite adjustment. But once "adjusted" it's forever.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 3, 2014

No they don't, but you can use a 1/2 link from the bracelet found on the 22545000 Seamaster, where the bracelet is nearly identical. I have done this for people and it works perfectly. The 1/2 link you need is part number 115ST1610.

Cheers, Al

Edit - okay just realized this is the new Speedmaster bracelet with the screws - scratch that idea then. Sorry you are SOL!

Maximus84 likes this.
  19. Hijak Dec 3, 2014

That's exactly what I did on my Speedmaster Al...no half link for the new bracelet, that's too bad.:(

20. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 3, 2014

The longer end is normally on the 12 (upper) side. the wrist is thicker on that end so if you want the clasp centered that's the way to go. I tend to leave mine a little loose on steel bracelets and only strap them tightly if need to for any activity, but i still leave that side longer because i'm a little anal at times.

Microscopic Cog likes this.