Forums Latest Members

How do you ship and insure watches?

1. gophishin Aug 29, 2017

I recently sold my first two items over $5000, and it turned out to be a learning experience of sorts, so I wanted to see what others are doing. I have always had good luck with FedEx, and even went through the process of creating a label to generate some rates in FedEx, declaring full value without any issues.

When the funds for the watch cleared and I was able to box it up and ship it, I decided to just go to a local FedEx Office and Shipping Center since it was a Saturday. When I told the person behind the counter the declared value, they immediately asked what it was, and then informed me that they can't insure any watches, jewelry, or antiques for more than $1000, and that although the system allows them to declare a higher value, the most that would be covered in the event of a claim would be $1000.

I scoured FedEx' website with little luck, and decided to call to be informed of the same info. When I called and asked how items over $1000 should be shipped via FedEx, she basically said she didn't have any idea.

UPS and USPS were similar situations, though they do offer insurance up to $5000.

So question for you all that are shipping watches valued over $5000, how are you shipping them, both within the US and internationally? And, how are you insuring the shipment?

To me, it's worth the extra money to declare and insure for full value should something happen, to protect the buyer and the seller, and I know there are a lot of watches valued much higher than $5000 regularly trading hands all over the world, so what did I miss?

And somewhat of a tangent and another can of worms: if it's a vintage piece and a claim needs to be made, how have any of you gone about proving "value" of the watch? They asked me if I had it appraised by a jewelry store or had proof of value - which as many of you know, in the case of specific vintage watches in changing markets, I just kind of laughed when the most accurate way to prove value would be via forums or online price guides.

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 29, 2017

parcelpro

3. AnotherDon Aug 29, 2017

Parcel Pro or USPS Registered Mail that can go up to $50,000 of coverage.

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 29, 2017

Parcelpro, described as "precision instrument" and insured by Parcelpro, not FedEx.

5. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 29, 2017

+1 for Parcel Pro

6. abrod520 Aug 29, 2017

+2 for ParcelPro. Website makes it look like it's for businesses only, but if you call them up and explain your situation they'll set you up in no time

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  7. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 29, 2017

USPS Insured for CONUS shipping. Parcel Pro for overseas shipping.

Edited Aug 29, 2017
    OMGRLX likes this.
  8. kkt Aug 29, 2017

USPS registered mail. Lowest loss rate of any carrier, insurance available up to $50,000. Must wrap your package in paper tape, so that it can be rubber stamped at the receiving post office so that any tampering will be evident. Registered mail is also an international service, though non western countries may suffer higher loss rates.

OMGRLX and MikiJ like this.
  9. kkt Aug 29, 2017

When they find out that the shipment is a watch, for which they limit insurance, won't they deny any claim over that amount because of fraudulent declaration?

10. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 29, 2017

This is a confusing answer. "CONUS" refers to just the 48 states between the coasts. What about Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, etc?

It is my understanding that with all USPS services, there is no additional charges to mail outside the "lower 48", whether insured or not.

The same is not true with FedEx or UPS.
    gatorcpa

blubarb, trackpad and MikiJ like this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Aug 29, 2017

The insurance coverage is being provided by Parcel Pro not FedEx.

Parcel Pro is one of the largest shipping/insurance brokers to the jewelry industry, I'm sure they know what they are doing.

oddboy likes this.
  12. abrod520 Aug 29, 2017

ParcelPro actually requires you to declare as a "precision instrument" since it attracts less curiosity from anyone handling it along the way who might have sticky fingers. In fact, when filling out the online customs forms, if you specify that you're sending a watch or even a watch strap, it automatically changes it to "precision instrument"

citizenrich and gemini4 like this.
  13. gophishin Aug 29, 2017

Well, it sounds like ParcelPro is the way to go, and that I have USPS registered as an alternative. I knew there had to be an easier way.

Thanks all!

STANDY likes this.
  14. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 29, 2017

Parcel pro though a segment of UPS generally prefers to use FedEx. It's the way to go.

gemini4 likes this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 29, 2017

Parcelpro wouldn't let me ship to recipient named Goldstein. Had to change name to Guldstein.

Rman likes this.
  16. nixf6 Aug 29, 2017

Parcelpro . Call them explain what you want (watch collector and some times seller) and they will tell you what form to fill out and what descriptions to apply.You need to submit 3 peoples contact details (address and phone numbers) that you deal with as a reference.I'm sure 3 OF members would be more than happy to oblige .Presto one week later account ready.

GuiltyBoomerang and gophishin like this.
  17. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Aug 29, 2017

Good question. Don't know for sure because I never shipped outside CONUS. I'll bet you're right about what you said.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 29, 2017

They will flag and reject any term in any field that appears to be related to anything of value. This is done for the same reason they describe watches as precision instruments, and that the value on the shipping label is zero. I ship hundreds of watches a year using the service, and have only run across this maybe 2 times...

GuiltyBoomerang and gemini4 like this.
  19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Aug 29, 2017

Indeed. Parcelpro also requires that for the goods to be insured, no matter how small they might be (stones, ring, watch etc), be shipped in a medium or larger box. This is required in order further conceal the true nature of the contents. A small box will only have $100 of insurance.

20. Rman Aug 29, 2017

Another benefit of a ParcelPro account is being able to email an inexperienced seller or an out of state watchmaker a shipping label for a watch you really don't want to take chances with.