Forums Latest Members

how do you sell your watch(es)?

1. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 17, 2014

Hey guys,

I'm wondering how you sell a watch - not the logistics of posting it on various sites, taking good close-ups, disclosing known issues.. I mean, how do you decide when it's time to let one go?

Not enough wrist time?

Wasn't as nice in the metal as you thought it would be?

Focusing a collection (on a specific model or movement) and shedding ones that don't fit?

I've got some watches that don't get a lot of wrist time - and they're not even 'nice' watches - but I can barely think about parting with some of them. I could understand selling a less favored on to fund a new one, but even then, letting one go seems hard!

Just curious as my collection, interest and appetite grows.

Cheers

J

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Dec 17, 2014

I think that's a very personal process. To me the watch, no matter what it is or it's value, has to feel right. I know one does not when I keep looking at it on my wrist and trying to convince myself it's as great as it should be, as opposed to keep looking at the watch because I can't believe how perfect it is. I have a few watches that are my "favorite" watches the moment I put them on, and a couple that are ok but always get changed for a different one half way through the day If I'm home. And then, yes, the ones I just don't wear. Those I only keep if they have some sentimental value or a tremendous $ value that makes them good investments for my estate one day.

But, sometimes I just can't decide. I placed my Planet Ocean for sale because I was just not sure it measured against all the others and I felt guilty because I just invested a large sum on a vintage Rolex. I psyched myself into either getting the liquid metal limited edition one day, or simply excluding PO's from my collection. Then I went on vacation and I really missed it. I had to on ebay and there was a lot of interest on it but I ended up pulling it away from auction because I don't have anything like it and it's perfect for certain sporty locations (it's the one with the orange numerals and xl size so not exactly a suit watch.

Anyway, that's me.

oddboy likes this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 17, 2014

Tough question. I am not a flipper by any means, and I tend to be very sure I really want a specific watch before I buy it, so that means I don't sell much.

When I did sell a watch there was no process to go through to make a decision for me - I just knew it was time to move the watch along. It didn't require a lot of thought, and I simply knew that I was going to list it and let it go.

One thing is that I don't sweat it if a watch is not getting wrist time. I have seen people on forums (not here so much) say "If it's not getting time on my wrist, it goes!" but honestly I've never really understood that stance. If I like the watch, and it's not causing any financial stress to keep it, I don't really care if it's something I wear once a week or once a year - I'll hang onto it.

Not sure any of this was helpful, but there it is!

Cheers, Al

watchme, Pahawi, quito and 8 others like this.
  4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 17, 2014

Thanks guys! These are helpful insights.

Al, I'm kind of the same. I guess that's why it's hard to fathom letting one go!

Sergio, I like the differentiation between staring at a piece trying to convince yourself it's great vs staring at it because it IS great.

I guess I won't make a good flipper any time soon. ;)

5. lando Dec 17, 2014

Well, it seems, that I am in the categories "Isn't as nice in the metal as I thought it would be" and "Focusing a collection (on a specific model or movement) and shedding ones that don't fit."

6. DocHolliday Dec 17, 2014

It's really just how you feel. Ask yourself why you are buying the watch in the first place? Personally, if I'm not head over heels about it I'll store it away for sometime to make sure I'm making the right decision. I wasn't always like that. I used to flip watches every few months until I found what I liked. If anyone who knows me. I research like crazy until I fall in love all over again. You'll begin to know your taste. Just keep buying! :cool:

oddboy likes this.
  7. cristit Dec 17, 2014

For me it happens that I wish to have some others models and the only way to be able to buy it is to sell something from my "collection".
    I said "collection" because I usually do not have more than 3-4 watches at the same time. Right now I have just 4: a Davosa diver, a Longines diver, a dress quartz Longines and a Mido Multifort Chronograph.

8. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Dec 17, 2014

I usually just re-evaulate the collection and see if I have anything that looks too similar to each other and sell the least appreciated one. I like variety

logan2z and oddboy like this.
  9. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Dec 17, 2014

you can sell watches??!?

10. repoman Dec 17, 2014

sell? Watches!?!?!? da fuq :confused:

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 17, 2014

If you ever decide to, I'd bet there's a long list of Dibs ticket holders eagerly waiting!

12. logan2z Dec 17, 2014

I have traditionally found it hard to let watches go - I usually worry that I'll miss the watch and won't be able to easily replace it. But recently I've started selling some pieces simply because my taste in watches has changed. I used to be more of a sports/tool watch guy but I've recently started to get into somewhat dressier/nicer watches. So that's motivated a bit of a sell off in order to fund watches that more closely mesh with my current taste. So I guess that probably puts me in the "I know it when I know it" camp.

oddboy likes this.
  13. cristit Dec 18, 2014

Last year I sold the first watch I bought, a Frederique Constant Index. Even now I am wondering why I sold it.
    I tried to buy it back but it is not available anymore.

14. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Dec 18, 2014

I usually know pretty quickly if a watch is a keeper or not, and am quick to move on.
    Haven't yet regretted a sale. However, there have been more than a few I regretted NOT purchasing when the opportunity presented itself.

Hijak and logan2z like this.
  15. Rxlando21 Dec 21, 2014

For me it's definitely a combination of wrist time and the fact that I get tired too fast. Always looking for a new piece is like an itch you can't satisfy. I feel like even if I had a watch that's a dream watch there's always that itch to get something new and better.