Forums Latest Members

How do you get through airport security without ruining a watch susceptible to magnetic fields?

1. kappy94 Aug 12, 2017

I was reading on the hamilton watch website that contact with magnetic fields from speakers or electronic devices and airport security can pose an issue.

2. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Aug 13, 2017

Which airport security devices are you referring to? The x-ray and millimeter wave scanners at airport security generate electromagnetic radiation, which do not magnetize objects.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. ConElPueblo Aug 13, 2017

I believe the risk is negligible. Been through airports multiple times with watches from 1936 to 2013 and never experienced anything.

Foo2rama, MaiLollo and Larry S like this.
  4. coronado Aug 13, 2017

Same experience for me. I've passed through airport security many times with hundreds of early "non" anti-magnetic watches and none of them ended up magnetized.

By the way, magnetism won't ruin a watch as the thread title ponders... the magnetism is easily reversible.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. sevenhelmet Aug 13, 2017

I've gone through airport security with my Hamilton Khaki multiple times with no issues. It gets passed through the X-ray machine in a tray with my belt, shoes, cell phone, and laptop.

Even the metal detector won't magnetize it, although if you take it through the airport metal detector it will make the alarm go off. I tried that once.

6. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Aug 13, 2017

My Connies have been cumulatively 'subjected' to around 300 scans over the past 3 years.
    Not a problem with any of them so I don't think it's something you have to worry about.

7. No.15 Aug 13, 2017

If it was a huge issue you would hear of all kinds of things happening to computers/electronics. I'd wager if the fields were strong enough to magnetize a watch it would be strong enough to flip bits/erase magnetic storage. That would certainly have people screaming.