Forums Latest Members

How do the scales tip for you now: the deal...or the watch?

1. M'Bob Dec 1, 2020

Years ago, when I was a young, hungry collector, I would put up with all sorts of nonsense and eccentricities to get what I was specifically hunting for, and there was a great joy in achieving that, even if I kissed ass or ate crow.

Now, it’s almost more about the transaction than the watch. I want smooth, no hassle, good feelings all around, everyone happy. If someone’s non-responsive, rude, flaky, that’s okay - I’ll either find it again down the road...or I won’t.

And you: where do you find yourself these days with your collecting sentiment?

Togri v. 2.0, DaveK, WatchCor and 3 others like this.
  2. Braindrain Dec 1, 2020

The watch, but not an any cost.

Has to be one on my shortlist, in the condition i want, with the price I want, and being sold by someone I want to do business with.

Similar to you, really.

Buying, or selling, at any cost comes with it's own karma.

Edited Dec 1, 2020
    M'Bob and Kay995 like this.
  3. jsducote Dec 1, 2020

I probably would have gone after anything that looked attractive, even if filled with radioactive garbage, if not for OF. I'm risk-averse by nature, so I like researching and learning about something before I dive in and spend any money. Now that I've learned a thing or two, and I'll know what isn't right about it, I find myself passing up deals that I should just jump on, live my life, and be happy enough with.

M'Bob likes this.
  4. nanjingcigaretes practicing PMA Dec 1, 2020

You are right, why would we need to kiss seller' s ass even if they have the watch we want. If seller with shitty attitude, always a skip for me.

M'Bob likes this.
  5. Braindrain Dec 2, 2020

If *buyer* with shitty attitude, always a skip for me.

Also works with a seller's POV.

M'Bob likes this.
  6. pdxleaf ... Dec 2, 2020

I'd rather lose money than be an a-hole. Probably why I am terrible in business.

Guess I am lucky too. Most of the stuff I have bought and sold have been good transactions. The worst situations were when someone was lowballing me but not because they were playing hard ball but because it seemed like they felt they were supposed to do that. It felt ackward. Once they got it out of their system we could go back to being people. It's often a fun opportunity to meet new people and hear their stories. Sometimes it's just a transaction. But sometimes it's a snapshot of someone's life story. Especially if you are the buyer. Unless you are a business person who sells alot, selling can be stressful.

Can't take it with you, right?

DaveK and M'Bob like this.
  7. S.H. Dec 2, 2020

Life is too short for me to spend time dealing with A-holes or abrasive types, at work or elsewhere. There are also way to many interesting watches and I only wear one at a time, so putting up with nonsense? No thanks. Playing with ebay auctions why not, sending offers, setting trades up, yes.

Good feelings are nice, and should be cultivated.

M'Bob likes this.
  8. janice&fred Dec 2, 2020

I agree 100% but for me it's also price-related. If I run into a particularly obnoxious shop owner or flea market vendor that has no clue how valuable their watch is I can play the part of a meek submissive buyer :D

M'Bob likes this.
  9. M'Bob Dec 2, 2020

Ahhh, the old question of ethics rears its ugly head.

Years ago, if I stumbled upon an old lady who was selling a very valuable watch for way under market, I would just buy it without further interaction, if she were content with the price. Now, I would feel incumbent to give her closer to a fair price, even unprompted. I used to be more ruthless, and now I like to think I have a least some ruth. :)

Larry S, DaveK, Vitezi and 1 other person like this.
  10. janice&fred Dec 2, 2020

True that and of course I did mention "particularly obnoxious" seller. A sweet old lady or another type of innocent would be a different story. I will say though that most of the small shop owners and flea market vendors do come off to me as obnoxious and rude. Could it be I bring that out in them? :D

DaveK and M'Bob like this.