Forums Latest Members
  1. Watcho Jul 15, 2014

hello everyone.
    as a hobby i enjoy to take apart mechanical watches and put them back together. i also like to restore watches. however ive always had this problem that the metal parts cling to my metal tweezers. any advice as to how to prevent it?
    thanks

Rangerchrono likes this.
  2. Siac Jul 15, 2014

3. woodwkr2 Jul 15, 2014

Carbon steel tweezers are great for watch repair work. I have a great pair made by Dumont, though my brass tweezers have been getting more use lately.

If you're doing repair work on watches you should really have a demagnetizer unit anyway. You can use it to demagnetize your tweezers and screwdrivers, as well as whole watch movements that are running erratically. Most material houses will sell these units, or you can buy the cheap Indian/Chinese made junk in the usual places.

4. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 16, 2014

Dumont Dumostar tweezers are 100% anti-magnetic. I haven't tried it but, supposedly, you can pick up a magnet with them and it won't stick.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 16, 2014

Are all the watches you are repairing running spot on? So not gaining even one second a day? ;)

As others have said, demagnetizing your tools and the watch movements is common when repairing watches. Magnetism can cause all kinds of issues with the watch - not just timekeeping problems.

Cheers, Al

Watcho likes this.
  6. Watcho Jul 16, 2014

btw checked out your website. Beautiful watches.