Forums Latest Members
  1. Tonydg Jan 26, 2014

Hi,

I have a watch with a band that has the clasp off to one side and I want to make it more central, however, I cannot undo the obvious screws and do not want to break anything by twisting too hard.

Can anyone tell me how to undo these screws?

Is it likely that they have been glued or similar to stop them from coming loose, and what is the magic to loosen them?

Watch band screws - med.jpg

Many thanks,
    Tony

2. ulackfocus Jan 26, 2014

Tonydg likes this.
  3. Woodrukk Jan 26, 2014

I laughed

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2014

Can you show the full band and close-ups of both sides.

Would also help if we know what brand of watch/bracelet.

5. Tonydg Jan 26, 2014

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of details - please see pictures below for more info.

The watch is an Omega Constellation f300 from around 1972, cal 1250.
    Watch and band - front.jpg Watch and band - back.jpg Watch and band - crown side.jpg Watch and band - non crown side.jpg Watch band clasp numbers.jpg

Thanks.

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 26, 2014

Someone may have used Loctite or similar.

If you're a toolman, proceed as follows:

Remove the bracelet from the watch (this is an important step!).

Get a screwdriver of the correct size.

Hold the bracelet in a vice with wooden soft jaws. (or clamp it to a bench or similar, just McGyver it).

Try to remove the screw, if it doesn't budge, try a penetrant (WD40) for a while (overnight) and try again.

If it's still too tight, try heat. You'll need to clean all penetrant off first, rinse the bracelet in shellite and allow to dry (another important step!).

Put the shellite bottle back in a safe place.

Ue a small gas torch to apply heat to the link you need to remove, and only heat for a few seconds at a time.

Try to remove the screw, if it doesn't budge :confused: (I'm out of ideas).

If you're not a toolman, go to your nearest watchmaker.

Good Luck with your project.

7. Tonydg Jan 27, 2014

Hi JimInOz,

No worries - I can do all of that .. I was wondering if there was some watchmaker magic that I did not know and it could be fixed by holding it up to the full moon and running around in a circle 3 times (always anticlockwise ..) or similar ..

Since it appears to be a simple mechanical issue, I will keep trying the standard loosening techniques.

Sorry for the apparently silly questions but I am reminded of a problem I had years ago when trying to pull apart old Telecom relays - it took me hours and I broke them. Then my uncle told - Yeah - just hold them in a cup of hot water and the wax will soften and you can just pull them out. It worked and I felt silly ..

Thanks.