Forums Latest Members

how close to a clock radio speaker magnet before there are issues?

1. jcmartinez98 Jun 30, 2015

planning to purchase a clock radio with good speaker (which of course has a pretty good magnet in it.)

http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/clock-radios/albergo-am-fm-clock-radio-in-glossy-green-1087.html

problem is, i keep my watch on the same bedside table that i'm planning on putting the clock radio. i know the PO 8500 is 'relatively' resistant to magnetic fields, but how close can it be?

the watch and radio would basically be 'together' every night.
    obviously i would avoid resting the watch ON the clock/radio, but can 8-10 inches cause an issue?

@Archer ?

2. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jun 30, 2015

You probably won't have to set the alarm...you'll be waking up every hour or so to check on the PO 8500 to make sure it's still working :)

3. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2015

..... and I thought we already had "Post of the Day". :p

4. redpcar Jun 30, 2015

The field would be unmeasurable at that distance. Try placing an old school compass that far away. You would still see North. As strong as you think speaker magnets are, they are minimal compared to those in pc hard drives.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  5. jcmartinez98 Jun 30, 2015

Hilarious!!

6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2015

Speaker magnets can be very powerful.

I gave my son one to play with when he was about six or seven, he was amazed to see iron filings dancing across the table top when he held the magnet underneath. And he spent ages going around the yard finding old nails and stuff and testing things to see if they were "magnetable". He even magnetised old screwdrivers to help me pick up screws.

It wasn't until I switched on the TV (CRT) one night that I found out that he'd also tested the front of the TV!

Luckily I had access to an Air Force avionics workshop at the time so gun re-alignment didn't cost the earth.

I doubt you Tivoli would have a magnet like the one from the 18 inch woofer I gave my son, but a check with a compass as suggested would ease your mind.

jcmartinez98 likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 30, 2015

On another note.... I tried several models of Tivoli radios and returned them all.... poor reception, wandering volume, malfunctioning alarm..... certainly not worth the money they charge. The local dealer stopped carrying them stating that the quality had gone down hill since production moved overseas. At least they have a good return policy.

8. redpcar Jun 30, 2015

If you have an old pc. Tear apart the hard drive. There are two magnets that control the heads. You won't believe the field strength. Better yet, find a commercial hard drive. If you get them stuck together, you will need a vise to pry apart. Whatever you do, don't stick the pair in your front pockets......if you know what I mean.

9. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2015

Yet another quality post today!

"How to sing falsetto using common household items," :p

10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Jun 30, 2015

I knew it!

I've told my wife that Frankie Valli used a "scrotulator" in the recording studio to assist him with hitting the high falsetto notes, sometimes a double scrotulator for those really high notes. Only after reading the Omega Forum do I know how the thing was designed.

"oo woo-oo-oo oo woo-oo-oo
    Walk like a man..."

"Sherry ... She-eh-eh-erry ba-by..."

Mad Dog likes this.
  11. ulackfocus Jun 30, 2015

Today, June 30th 2015, is a date that will live in posting history. :p