Forums Latest Members

How can you find out when your watch was made?

1. midimanwatch Jan 15, 2017

Hi, how can you find out when you watch was made and does it really matter?

I have purchased my watch from new, but I think it may have been in the AD for some time.

The warranty is for 4years, I just wondered is there a way to find out.

Thanks

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 15, 2017

You can tell roughly through the serial number. Tell us more about you watch and pictures would be nice.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 15, 2017

You can order an extract from the Omega Archives which will yield this information. For non vintage pieces this does not really matter. There are some watches from the past decade or so that could have 1 of a few iterations of a movement and some people want/prefer the latest one if they buy it, but that data is not in the extract, and an Omega Boutique should (might) be able to tell you which iteration it is.

4. yinzerniner Jan 15, 2017

If your warranty is for 4 years that's from time of purchase, NOT from time of delivery, shipment, manufacture, etc.
    That being said knowing when a watch is "made" might matter in that NOS lying in wait in storage isn't very desirable from a reliability standpoint.
    As others said, posting the watch you're interested in would help in soliciting solid facts and reasonable opinions.

5. midimanwatch Jan 15, 2017

It's a current DSOM of the Speedmaster.
    And it's brand new from the AD but just could have been on display for a year or more.

6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Jan 16, 2017

:thumbsdown:
    I believe the Omega Archives extract is limited to 20th century Omega watches (pre-2001)... correct ?

7. ctime3 Jan 16, 2017

Interesting topic. Maybe I'm overthinking but if the FOIS was out in 2012 and my watch ends in 14. Could it have been sitting for years in the Boutique? Would this effect the watch?

8. midimanwatch Jan 16, 2017

It doesn't particualy bother me.

But I just thought that it may have a negative impact on the re-sale price.

For example. It's like buying a brand new Ferrari that was manufactured in 2015 from now.

I assume that the dealer would register the car on the day that you buy it, and you get the full warranty. But it could have been sat in their holding garage for two years or more.

This means that the car is already 2 years old.

Or am I overthinking lol.

Maybe the luxury watch market is different to the industry that I work in.

i.e Sales are slower and therefore items sit around longer.

I had a similar experience when recently purchasing a set of home speakers. I was shocked to find that the manufacturer date was late 2013, meaning that the dealer must have been sitting on them for some time. But they were the lastest model on the market.

So if anyone asks me hold old the watch is, I go by the date on the invoice?