Forums Latest Members
  1. DJP Mar 30, 2013

I love my '73 Connie, (which for the eagle eyed is resting on my iPad cover) but I'm not going to be wearing it every day, probably 3 days a weeks and not necessarily consecutively. What I'm not sure about is whether it is better to try and keep the watch running (in which case I'd probably need a winder) or whether it is perfectly okay for it to stop and be wound as and when required. It's possible but unlikely that it could be left for up to a week or two without wearing, and I'm hoping that wouldn't cause the movement any problems.

I know the watch was serviced when I was given it as a birthday gift from colleagues at the end of January this year, given the usage as described above, how long before it should be serviced again?

I appreciate any input you learned collectors can give me.

Totally off topic, but anyway, I can't afford a Speedie (yet), so I've made do with a Christopher Ward quartz C3 Malvern chrono in the meantime. He's a boutique English watchmaker. It's very nice and extremely good value, but I won't post a pic in case it breaches forum rules!

All the best and thanks in advance for your time.

IMG_0739.JPG

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 30, 2013

It is perfectly OK to let it stop between wearing. To steal an oft used analogy, "I turn my car off too when I'm not driving".
    Seriously, it will not hurt it at all and in fact you are only adding wear keeping it on the winder. The convenience is of course it is ready to wear and go at moments notice. With date watches this makes it simple.

3. DJP Mar 30, 2013

Thank you for the super quick response. I love the mechanical nature, it seems more "real" than the quartz watch movement, and winding up and adjusting the date is a pleasure rather than a hardship.

4. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 30, 2013

Someone will no doubt come along to tell me I am talking rubbish, but?

Sure you had your connie only sitting on the pad for a short while but I have read that prolonged contact can lead to irregular timekeeping - an urban myth ?

Personally I try to have some regular rotation of my meagre collection but as a result the date pieces are seldom set to the correct date. :(

5. DJP Mar 30, 2013

Sorry I may have given the wrong impression when I mentioned the iPad cover. The iPad was detached from it at the time of taking the photo. Thank you for pointing it out though.

6. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Mar 30, 2013

As I say it may just be one of these stories that occasionally do the rounds, someone more up to speed on these matters will no doubt share some wisdom.

7. ulackfocus Mar 30, 2013

With the longer life of modern lubricants, you should be able to go 5 - 8 years before your next service. If your watch starts keeping erratic time then you know it's asking for a cleaning & lubrication.

And keep your watch away from any magnetic source. I've heard of watches getting magnetized from repeatedly sitting on an iPhone overnight.

8. DJP Mar 31, 2013

Many thanks for the advice, and the warning about iDevices as well.

9. Wheels Apr 1, 2013

I think the problem with the iPad cover is the magnets that they contain. It's how they attach to the iPad and also stay closed. Exposing a mechanical watch to these magnets can result in the watch becoming magnetised. I would not place any watch on a iPad cover.

10. DJP Apr 1, 2013

Thanks for the input, I only used the cover as a background for the photo. The watch is kept well away from it and other devices the rest of the time.