Forums Latest Members

How Antimagnetic are SMP 300M Quartz?

1. chrisca70 Sep 30, 2019

Hi all (but this will probably be answered by Archer),

With all the new hype for antimagnetism on the new models pushing 15000 Gauss. It got me thinking on the Seamaster Professional 300M Quartz (aka bond watches). I remember reading a thread where they show that these watches powered by Cal 1538 have an antimagnetic plate covering the movement.

1. Does anyone know what is the tested antimagnetism properties for these watches?
    2. Do both versions of the quartz models (i.e. Full size and mid size) have the antimagnetic plate?

Thank you!

2. Bimmerman77 Sep 30, 2019

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t it bad to demagnatize a quartz? I thought they needed magnetism to run correctly.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 1, 2019

I don't know of any specific rating the quartz watches have, but yes as the mechanical SMP's do, the quartz models have an antimagnetic cover.

Quartz movements have a magnet inside them - the rotor (the part of the motor that turns) is a permanent magnet. In addition, the later versions of the Cal. 1538 have a small magnet in the wheel train bridge that helps with the stability of the seconds hand jumps, so to assist in making the seconds hand hit the markers all the way around the dial.

You don't demagnetize a quartz watch - doing so may damage it.

Cheers, Al

chrisca70 likes this.