Forums Latest Members

How about a section/listing of recommended watchmakers?

1. alam Oct 25, 2014

I'm looking for a reputable watchmaker to service one of my vintage watches and my number one and number two guys are either unavailable or missing in action. Guess I'm dropping to number three or four... :(

Redwheelbarrow, oddboy and Ferik like this.
  2. alam Oct 28, 2014

Perhaps I should consider a watchmaker in Denmark! ;)

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Or start taking classes :D

4. alam Oct 28, 2014

I'm done with all my watchmaking training! I can change straps w/o scratching the case! and can buff crystals/cases to a perfect shine! :)

CanberraOmega, noelekal and Darlinboy like this.
  5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 28, 2014

Hey, at least you're careful. It seems like some guys must use a belt sander for "refinishing" cases on Ebay. ;)

boat2dan likes this.
  6. alam Dec 12, 2014

Well, we all know the potential outcome of this scenario — when you settle for C Team to perform a task, when the A Team nor B Team are not available, you will likely end with some crapy or at best, mediocre results. ::rant:

7. Redwheelbarrow Dec 13, 2014

What's the chance we could rally interest in shared watchmaker list? If a fundamental objective of the Forum is to support and grow the watch enthusiast community, then watchmakers play a central role. Without a reliable vintage watchmaker, new members' interest will falter. I realize the one thing experienced collectors protect more than their most prized pieces is their watchmaker, but this is a generous Forum that's demonstrated a remarkable degree of sharing. What do you think? :unsure:

oddboy and TNTwatch like this.
  8. alam Dec 13, 2014

Precisely what the title on the OP asked for! ;) sign me up! ::psy::

Redwheelbarrow likes this.
  9. Pahawi Dec 13, 2014

What makes you think I used a Danish watchmaker? ;)

10. jud Dec 13, 2014

Interested too.

11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 13, 2014

Watchin' this space.

12. alam Dec 13, 2014

There's no shortage of customers around here with watches that need service…many of us just lack the secret hand shake for access to the shop bench! :p

boat2dan likes this.
  13. Redwheelbarrow Dec 14, 2014

Me thinks you perform the secret handshake while wearing a 4x jeweler's loupe, like Spikispikester's avatar. But seriously, why not a world map with locations of reputable vintage watchmakers, or at least a list designated by region. My impossible dream is to find a fine watchmaker within driving distance so I could actually meet him in person and discuss repairs. Impossible dream! :rolleyes:

mshake likes this.
  14. mshake Jan 13, 2015

As a new member here I fully support this!!! :) by region would be great

15. moontag Jun 1, 2015

+1

16. M.D. Jun 1, 2015

Have you guys tried searching the forum? I recall similar threads like this in the past. There's nothing consolidated, but I'm sure you'll find some watchmaker names. As a very respected forum member once told me, people may be reluctant to share their watchmaker information for fear of having that individual getting too backed up with work.

17. JohnSteed Jun 30, 2015

18. Redwheelbarrow Jun 30, 2015

Your link is a helpful resource on all things Omega. Finding a watchmaker is a bit different than researching the brand, but I'm beginning to appreciate the extent to which finding and developing rapport with a personal watchmaker requires dedication and time. The rewards are great.

19. M.D. Jun 30, 2015

Did you read the entire thread?

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 30, 2015

Just my thoughts

A list of trusted watchmakers would be great, I agree.

But this is the internet, public domain, open to anybody with a computer of a phone.

A quick check of who's on line at the moment shows 96 members and 144 guests and I don't know how many bots.

The hard work in researching, finding, and developing trust with a watchmaker could all turn sour if he was suddenly swamped with requests from the great unwashed.

I think a better solution is to post a request stating your locality and other members could reply by PM, thus keeping your watchmaker's workload to a minimum.

Cheers

Jim

lando and Traveler like this.