Forums Latest Members

How about a Longines automatic chronometre?

1. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2013

Hi everyone

Thought the members here might find this one interesting. I bought this one about 5 years ago....

19 AS ADJUSTS 5 pos and temp ...... in a gold screwback case!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If anyone has come across another 19 AS LONGINES chronometre please share it !

simple screwback, 35 mm with 18 mm strap!

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 8, 2013

Great watch, and even better in person! I won't be holding my breath to see others, but would love to be surprised.

Thanks for posting, Bill.

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 8, 2013

Hi Bill -

Welcome aboard! I was wondering when you were going to post.

That's one serious Longines.

Don't be a stranger,
    gatorcpa

4. CdnWatchDoc Dec 8, 2013

Hi Bill,
    I haven't had the pleasure as have the other older members here, but I do know a great looking watch when I see it!! Learning new things daily from this forum, and I see I have a whole bunch more to learn-What vintage is that chronometre? 50s? 60s?
    Thanks very much for sharing :thumbsup:

5. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2013

I have - just one. And it was so long ago and so different from anything I knew at the time I questioned it and walked away. ::facepalm2::

The 19A series was made from 1952 - 1959(ish). Can't quite read the serial number correctly from the photos, but it looks like a 7 million - which would make it before 1950, from 1946 to 1949.. ::confused2:: Even stranger is that the two rivet rotor is a 22AS feature, the caliber that predates the 19A series and was made from 1945 - 1951(ish), which would correspond with the serial number on it. The 19AS had 3 small rivets holding the perimeter weight to the rotor. Even the winding system / reverser set-up is from the 22AS. :unsure:

paging Bill Sohne, paging Bill! Can you fill us in on some details and a close-up? Is that really marked as a 19AS?

6. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 8, 2013

HI Dennis..

Your right... its a 22A, my mind is going... I thought I had one 19AS chronometre and one 22AS chronometre...

here is the excerpt I got from Longines many many years ago..

We have pleasure in giving you below the information we found in our old, hand-written production register regarding your LONGINES watch

Serial number 9'5XX'XXX is a wrist watch for gent's ref. 6924 in 18k gold
    It has been invoiced on 18th February 1960 to Messrs. Wittnauer who were our agents in the U.S.A. for many years
    It is equipped with a movement calibre 22AS, hour - minute - central second
    It is a CHRONOMETER
    We do not know how many chronometers we have produced

Hope this information is convenient to you, and always at your disposal, I remain with my best regards.

I hate having senior moments. Look like I have two 22A chronometres... augh... I cant sleep at night now !

[​IMG]

I like all the Stars , makes me what to salute it !

here is a movement shot, I really should take some decent pics... ( old sellers pics of this one ! ).

[​IMG]

Dennis ,sorry about the confusion.

Good Hunting

Bill Sohne

Patrick Dixon likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Dec 8, 2013

No worries Bill! Nice pair you have. I didn't know the 22AS chronometers were shipped that late, but it would jive with the period font of AutomatiC on the dial. The serial number dates the movement to around 1955 / 56, and we all know there usually is 1 - 4 years before the watch is actually sold to a dealer and shipped out. This is a good tidbit to add to my data - thanks! I'm going to put my patented search word in this post so I can find this info later and record it:

ecclesiastical

Done!

BTW, if having two is causing you insomnia, I'm sure there will be no shortage of us willing to help by taking one off your hands. ;)

8. Hijak Dec 8, 2013

+1 on that!:thumbsup:

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Dec 9, 2013

I would have done exactly the same! Without looking inside, I'd have presumed it was a redial in an american-made case. Shows what I know.

Sublime.

10. CdnWatchDoc Dec 9, 2013

+2!! :)