Forums Latest Members
  1. wagudc Mar 25, 2019

I thought that this was a very well done video on how a mechanical watch works.

Jerseyhammer and Muddlerminnow like this.
  2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 26, 2019

Here is the full video...the first part using a water hose (starts around 3:50) is helpful in understanding the basic concepts, so it's a shame that the edited video cut all that out...

warrydog, ag986, Eve and 3 others like this.
  3. AJwala Mar 26, 2019

Thank you @Archer and @wagudc for the videos! very helpful.

Spruce likes this.
  4. wagudc Mar 27, 2019

I was able to follow the edited version without difficulty, but it is interesting to see the full video. Thank you for sharing.

5. Shankified Apr 1, 2019

Thanks for sharing, guys.

I’ve got the video and the tool kit for watchmaking. Only thing missing is a working cheap watch for me put my skills to test

6. Eve Apr 1, 2019

Hey,
    I also did a lot of research and over several months ordered myself a set of tools.
    There are some very informative DIY sources for Seiko watches. So i first found the Step by step instunctions in the internet and then sourced myself a correct Seiko on a fleamarket for like 20 € for learning. I think it was very interseting taking the watch apart and puting it together. I also tried cleaning, but once i got to oiling, this is when the things became quickly more difficult.
    I am not sure, but subjectively the watches i was playing around with didnt run better after my reassembly :) i did manage to find and correct few minor issues, but probably caused more issues that i was not aware of. I think i really underestimated the difficulty of the process. Especially finding the issue and correcting the issue.
    But its a very nice hobby i think.
    I wish i had the guts to do some trying on swiss movements. But this a bit more costy. Maybe some day i get myself an ETA movement or a cheaper Seagull version of ETA and do some more learning :)
    Good luck!

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 1, 2019

Many watchmaking schools use the ETA 6497 as the basis for the initial phase of working on a movement. Note that there is typically a lot of skills learned before you ever touch a movement, but once you do start, it's typically on the 6497. It's large, very easy to work on and manipulate the parts, the parts are robust, and you can learn most of the skills required on this simple movement. You may not want to start with a genuine ETA version, but getting a Chinese version may be more reasonable in terms of costs.

To me starting off with anything more complex than a simple 3 hands manual wind, is a mistake.

Cheers, Al

Eve likes this.
  8. Eve Apr 3, 2019

Hi Archer,
    Thanks for the advice! I will try to source maybe a used one on ebay or so.
    I havent touched anythig more complicated than a 3-hander with a date complication yet.
    I was even thinking visiting a 2 day course or so. Where they would show a proper way of working on a movement. So far i ve been only reading forums and your "blogs" :)
    I am not sure i have the right constitution of the body though.. After an hour i suffer some serious neck pain and back problems. Therefore it takes me sometimes weeks to do some reassemblies. But i am not in a hurry so its fine with me :)