Forums Latest Members

Hour hand register allignment after Speedmaster 145.022-69 (1970) got serviced

1. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

Hello all.

I have a Omega Speedmaster 145.022-69 from 1970. It really has a special meaning to me. My grandmother lived in poverty all of her life, and she worked years in a row to be able to offer my dad a car. She was unable to make enough money, so she bought him this watch. She died the same year.

So my father used this watch through his life, and now he has offered it to me. Since the watch never got serviced before, I went to an Omega Service Agent and got it repaired.

I am very happy with the results, but I couldn't help but notice the very slight misalignment in the hour hand (chronograph).

I have no experience in watches whatsoever. My question is that if this is something to be expected or normal? If it is, fine by me. If this is not acceptable, I will go back to the agent.

Here are some pictures, and thanks a lot for your coming answers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Steve1haggart May 4, 2016

For me I would take the watch back to the agent and have Them correct there mistake. That would drive me nuts looking at that everday .
    Lovely watch you grandfather left you enjoy you speedy .

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

Thanks a lot for your fast answer. :) It was my grandmother though.

Anyway, I am just wondering if they will have to open it all inside again or is this a simple thing to do? I can live with this, but I can't help but feel this is a bit of a sloppy work for such an expensive service...

4. Steve1haggart May 4, 2016

It may be as simply as removing the hand and just lining it up correctly, if the service was done by omega it might take them a week or two as they will check the functionality of the watch all over again .

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  5. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 4, 2016

If it was done by Omega, wouldn't they have essentially ruined it by replacing everything as new?

6. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

I am sorry, I am a newbie to watches, I can see that you're being ironic but I don't get your point. :)

Anyway, it was serviced at Omega, I guarantee you.

7. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ May 4, 2016

Nope, no irony. There are several threads on here about people sending watches to Omega and them replacing original parts with brand new ones. I didn't mean broken parts which have to be replaced for the watch to work, I mean aesthetic changes to make it look as new. Some would love that but most people favour originality. I am not saying they have done that to yours, just that they have to others.

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  8. Steve1haggart May 4, 2016

Not necessarily if you as them to leave the dial and hands alone they will do so, I'm sure all its requires is for the hand to be realigned job done .

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  9. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

Oh. They just replaced the crown, but the rest of the watch remains and feels the same. As you can see, it still has its DO90 bezel. :)

It's just sad that they won't allign the hands properly.

10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer May 4, 2016

Thanks for sharing that great story, you will get used to it being off centre but personally I would take it back.

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2016

If you ask them, AND they feel leaving them will not cause the watch to come back before the warranty runs out, yes they will leave them. If lume is flaking (or looks like it might flake off) on hands or dial, it doesn't matter what you request - they will replace them or refuse to do the work if you don't agree.

Cheers, Al

12. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

Hello!

Thanks for your input. Considering the original post, and since you're an OQW, what do you think about it?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2016

The hand is definitely misaligned, but you know that already. If it bothers you, take it back and get it sorted. Only you can decide if it's worth doing that or not.

Cheers, Al

14. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

Yeah, I know. I'm just wondering if they will give me that talk about factory tolerances bla bla, and I thought you could say something about it. Nevermind. I will go there and then will update you.

Thanks a lot.

15. Canuck May 4, 2016

I always run my chronograph functions when the watch is on my wrist. So such a minuscule alignment wouldn't bother me. But it is your decision to make as to whether you have it adjusted, or not. Just don't leave it until the repair warranty lapses.

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 4, 2016

Sorry, I can't predict what the service center will say. Only way to know is to ask them...

CapitaoOmega likes this.
  17. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer May 4, 2016

I'd be more worried about the blatant misalignment of the second hand ... :D

Foo2rama likes this.
  18. wsfarrell May 4, 2016

That's a 5-minute job for a watchmaker. Are there any independent ones near you?

19. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

I don't think you'll believe this, but if I look at the watch upside down, it looks OK. Anyway... Stop being cruel! Hahaha.

I went to the Omega Service again, and I have showed them the photo. Will bring it back tomorrow. :-(

20. CapitaoOmega May 4, 2016

I never expected to have so many answers here. You people are all very kind. Thanks.