Forums Latest Members
  1. rajmahal1980 Mar 20, 2013

Hello,

A few months ago I purchased my first really nice watch, A Seamaster Planet Ocean 600M Skyfall limited edition. I absolutely love the watch but a few weeks ago after an international trip I noticed that the hour hand is not aligned correctly. For example at 1pm the hour hand will be between the 12 and 1.

I've sent it in for servicing and at the Omega boutique I bought it from they said it would be fixed but really couldn't give me a good explanation as to why it happened especially since I've only had the watch for 5 months. I am very concerned as I'm not too knowledgeable about luxury watches and don't want to have continual problems with my first one.

My apologies for my lack of knowledge in the area but what could cause this to happen, and what's to stop it happening again in the future?

Also I'll be without the watch for almost a month, despite them telling me they'd rush it. Is this a normal time to wait for servicing. Thanks!

JSDarling likes this.
  2. ulackfocus Mar 20, 2013

Gremlins.

Gremlin repelent.

Actually, let me explain it like this: shit happens, and this time it happened to you. There's still human error involved in watch manufacturing which is why you have a warranty. It'll get fixed. Then post a few pics so we can check it out. We ::love:: pictures.

JSDarling and andnowwhat like this.
  3. woodwkr2 Mar 20, 2013

Watch hands are finicky, even on high-end, brand new watches. It could have been mis-aligned when the hands were first set (which is very easy to do... human error), or it could be a material defect with the hands (think about the tiny tolerances between the size of the hole on the hand and the pinions).

I know it sucks not having your new shiny trophy on your wrist, but given all the things that can and do go wrong with these little mechanical wonders, the problem with your watch is super minor. Try not to let it turn you off to mechanical watches. As far as the turn around times, 1-2 months is really FAST. Your neighborhood watchmaker could have probably fixed the problem by tightening/resetting the hands in about 20 minutes... but it's a new watch and it's under warranty, so off to Omega it goes... and waits and waits and waits. You did the right thing in sending it to Omega, and should be annoyed that you're having the problem in the first place, but all will be right in the world when it's back on your wrist.

JSDarling likes this.
  4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 21, 2013

Watch hands are set on by a machine at the factory, so no humans involved - at least not on a mass produced watch like an Omega.

Hands can be set on incorrectly for sure by humans (if you are nearly blind I guess) but more likely is that the hand was loose, contacted another hand at some point, and became misaligned after the fact. It's also possible that the hour wheel lifted and moved one tooth, maybe because a dial washer was not in place and there was too much end shake, etc.

Easily fixed in either case, and not something to be too worried about going foward, so the OP can rest easy that this will be fixed by Omega.

Cheers, Al

5. iberelrj May 13, 2013

I have exactly de same problem. If Sh... happens.... Shouldn´t happens twice...

DLT222 likes this.
  6. KitManWong Oct 27, 2013

I got this watch less than a month and already got this problem. I want it fixed within 10 days, surely?!!!

I love this watch but this fault is doing my head in!

7. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 27, 2013

You may need to adjust your horizons. In the world of Swiss watches a 6 week turnaround is comparable to next day delivery.

JSDarling likes this.
  8. KitManWong Oct 27, 2013

Thanks for the comment. I just going to find it hard to not have that beautiful piece on my wrist for 1 week let alone for 6 weeks.

9. khoalety Oct 27, 2013

I read about this PO Sochi LE with the same issue recently.

10. brittguy68 Jan 7, 2016

I have exactly the same problem, thought I was going mad.. Glad to know its not a one off and I was the really unlucky one, but I've never had this problem with any watch previously, so why now with such a "precision" timepiece.