Forums Latest Members
  1. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Mar 16, 2016

My 69 speedy has developed the hour chrono creep : the hand is always running, even if the chronograph is not started.
    I would like to fix it, so I removed the dial and hands.

[​IMG]

I thought I just had to adjust the eccentric screw A, but the hour recorder stop lever is always in the same position, which is not normal.

[​IMG]

If I remove the screw B (without touching A), then the stop lever seems in the right position ! I wonder if the screw B has a problem ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found some pictures of the screw on internet : it looks a little different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 17, 2016

I looks as if whoever serviced it last mixed up the screws, but more concerning, they didn't carry out the basic functional tests following assembly to make sure everything worked as it should. The task now is to figure out which screws are mixed up (probably more than just this one) and to put them all back in their correct locations.

If something as simple as keeping track of where a screw went was overlooked, I would question the rest of the workmanship. Probably best to have it completely serviced by someone qualified.

Rob

red crowned and watchtinker like this.
  3. Georgieboy58 Mar 17, 2016

I'm not a watchmaker, just a mechanical engineer, but when I look at the picture of the screw in question and compare it with the one you got from the internet, it looks like on your watch someone made a replacement using a normal screw plus a thick brass washer to form the axis. If this washer is a fraction of a mm too thin, the lever arm might not be able to move freely.

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Mar 17, 2016

I agree, it looks like a clock bushing on another screw. "Close enough for government work" is not something needed here.

red crowned and sirish19 like this.
  5. ibis888 Mar 17, 2016

You could always take it to a good service shop....

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 17, 2016

The amount of hack and bodge work I see on watches coming into my shop is astonishing sometimes. Some of it done by people who call themselves professionals too...

Clearly that's not a screw that belongs there - I doubt it was mixed up because that screw does not belong in this movement in that form, so someone likely lost the original and made something they had on hand work. The screw you need for the hour recorder stop lever is, not surprisingly, called the hour recorder stop lever screw - part number is 2357 (72200002357 is the full part number).

Cheers, Al

Britinus, red crowned and Dgercp like this.
  7. michael e Still learning. Mar 17, 2016

I think I have a screw if you want it.

Pahawi likes this.
  8. Pianist A 12 inch WHAT?!?!? Mar 17, 2016

If you have the screw I'm interested !
    I can't find it on the internet. I also checked cousins but there is no result.

9. michael e Still learning. Mar 17, 2016

Let me have a rummage when I get home.
    Send me your address via pm too please.

red crowned, ConElPueblo and MikiJ like this.
  10. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Mar 17, 2016

The members of this forum are, without question, the best :thumbsup:

11. watchtinker Mar 17, 2016

I totally agree. :thumbsup:

12. michael e Still learning. Mar 17, 2016

Right.
    Had a look and found these.
    2821 for 321.
    Will these fit?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. michael e Still learning. Mar 17, 2016

14. Horlogerie EU based Professional Watchmaker Mar 18, 2016

I just realized the drawbacks of reading the forum on a tablet in the morning sun, while sitting in the courtyard enjoying a coffee...that drawback being not able to see details and colour variants that are on the screen.

Completely missed the brass ring on the screw, I see it now, in the house...at least Gerogieboy58 picked up on it.