Hot Takes: Speedmaster Moonwatch 321 “Ed White”/“Cernan” in Stainless Steel (2020)

I love when people post watches that are effectively ‘unobtainium’.

Despite having the funds for Omega’s MSRP, it will be a minor miracle if I am asked to purchase one. Yes, I have politely inquired through OB and other dealers.

Though if course there are ‘re-sellers’ (looking at you Chrono24) asking upwards of 25k.

On the other hand, I find it’s a rather “short” clasp as is - meaning, when fully open, it does not drastically increase the circumference of the bracelet. (I’ve got fairly meaty hands, and it barely slips through.)

So in wonder if more holes would be of limited utility to folks like me, because if I “shortened” the clasp any further I might be unable to slip it on!

BTW, agree RE the on-fly compromise - I wouldn’t trade it for the aesthetics of the clasp, but if I could be greedy and have both...
Spot on - I have the same issue with the Apollo 11 which has the same bracelet/clasp (albeit 20mm). With the watch sized slightly loose it can be a struggle to get my hand through. Further holes, while I agree would be nice, would effectively mean I may not be able to get my hand through unless I went on a diet (unlikely in lockdown 🍿)

I wouldn’t want an auto adjust as that would make the clasp bulky and out of kilter with the vintage vibe it portrays but I’m lucky I can get a good fit. I can see others may have issues.

I really do understand your trepidation about “Cernan,” and indeed I’ve easily given up that proposed solution.

But “Ed White,” can’t scratch the itch, either: that name is dually taken by the vintage reference. Surely we need our nicknames to be able to discern between two different references, separated by 60+ years, even if they look similar.

I’ve largely instead taken to calling it the SS 321B. That’ll work until Omega releases another stainless model with the 321B inside...

What surprises me is that when Omega first announced this watch, it was clearly advertised as the Ed White, then when it started being delivered, their website suddenly called it "Speedmaster Calibre 321 SS" with no mention of Ed White anywhere. I'd be curious to know the reason of this change in marketing strategy. Anyway, I still feel we should call it the "SS 321" or "New Ed White", or NEW.

Now, as far as saying 321B is concerned, though it is technically speaking correct and ok to say so in the details, I feel that after all the efforts Omega went through to resurrect the Calibre 321, it would be sad to call it differently. That might even give some food for thought for detractors as some still question the hefty price.
Edited:

Thanks for that addition.

I don’t know if a Bienne-only service is any more expensive than a local Omega-authorized service - or if the answer changes depending on where one lives.

But I’m *pretty certain* it means parts won’t be available for your local watchmaker with an Omega account - if that had been someone’s usual preference for service.

And I’m *fairly confident* it will often involve a longer service time wait (especially if not living near Bienne) - it being my impression that round trip can entail up to 6 months? Maybe those long services are the only ones that get remarked upon, and plenty have faster turn-arounds?

Whilst it is true that being located in Switzerland this sort of question does not apply to me, I guess that these days sending a watch to the other side of the world does not take more than a couple days.
Edited:

Just put mine on again, and can now agree with the comments on the "short" clasp, hadn't taken note of that before, but now I'll notice it every time - thanks a lot. :whipped:

As for the nickname .... There is only one "Ed White" - and it is the original 105.003. Thought it was silly for Omega to call this new one an "Ed White" to begin with, so no loss if they drop it. Just happy to call this new one "mine". 😉

Very interesting read! Thanks! I will continue to lust over this.

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere already. But the new EdWhite has a different crown seal system than (to my knowledge) any previous Speedmaster.
Maybe it is an extra update for Watchnerds who dont like original crowns changed during service. I guess now there is no need to swap them as the seal sits no longer inside the crown.

Edited:

^^^ This unfortunately means that this new crown can't be used on older watches, unless you are going to modify the case to accept the new case tube. Not the first time Omega has used this system, by the way...

Not sure if it was mentioned somewhere already.

Excellent and interesting add, @Eve - I can’t help but wonder what brought you to this point of deconstructing the crown 😁

Not the first time Omega has used this system, by the way...

Know off hand if used in any previous Speedy?

different crown seal system than (to my knowledge) any previous Speedmaster.

There are a lot of "Speedy's" out there, so I'm not about to look at the crown and case tube constructions for all of them. Not used previously on a manual wind Speedmaster or Pro (321, 861, 1861, or 3861 versions), that I can say with confidence.

A seal? brilliant, I'm going straight to the pool with my Ed White! 😁

edit: let me but the bracelet back first.

I'm not about to look at the crown and case tube constructions for all of them

200.gif

👍

Not used previously on a manual wind Speedmaster or Pro (321, 861, 1861, or 3861 versions), that I can say with confidence.
I should have been a bit more specific here..
but that was the point i was trying to make, thanks 👍

Excellent and interesting add, @Eve - I can’t help but wonder what brought you to this point of deconstructing the crown 😁
I didnt deconstruct, I have the service case.

Excellent thread on this reference by the OP @cvalue13 though I am coming to it late. 👍
I’m happy with mine all around, acknowledging it is still in the honeymoon stage. My only initial nit is the lack of additional adjustment positions on the clasp. Could have easily been done with no change to the design at all - just drill a few more holes…

FIFY Omega! 😉