Forums Latest Members
  1. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

Well, I've been-a scourin', and this onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network looks pretty good to me. The question is, does it check out with those in the know?

BONUS QUESTION: what about this other onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network?

2. lord83 Aug 23, 2013

First looks a redial to me

3. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

The dial has been cleaned a little too agressively. Plus even if it were good I'd avoid that seller. You're rolling the dice on hidden issues and potential frankening.

That one looks okay at first glance. Not so sure the crown is original as I think it should have a clover style instead of the serrated one, but that's minor. The caliber 500 had some issues with the winding system so keeping up on the maintanence is a must. Might be a hair pricey for the condition but not out of the ballpark.

As usual, wait for other opinions.

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 23, 2013

Biggest issue with the first one is that it is a Tropical watch. The Equatorial coast is to hard and corrosive on a watch movement.

5. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

Yikes, good to know. I'm seriously considering the second one at this point.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

You wouldn't believe the condition of several NOS vinatge watch that offered to me locally. I almost weep. They still have the purple snot (zapon) but the dial has already corroded badly.
    You can not just put unused watch in drawer in tropical country.

7. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 23, 2013

Not sure exactly what the op is after but perhaps worth consideration?
    F.S. on another forum - 2996, fully serviced @ $750us with bor or $650us without.

Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 17.37.04.png Screen Shot 2013-08-23 at 17.37.18.png

8. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

Thanks Alpha -- not too hot on the patina on that one, though. It's such a subjective thing. I'm actually pretty keen for a calendar also (not that the ones I just posted had that feature... but it was rather late at night and I had stared at a lot of Omegas by that point). Now I'm looking at this onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. What do you guys think? I'm still pretty keen on the second one I posted too. This is hard!

9. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

Also, what forum is that one from? I'm keen to browse some other forums' for-sale listings but I can't seem to find any decent ones.

10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 23, 2013

It actually has rather attractive dial markers and setting. The patina is too much for my taste, but it is subjective. Some members in here love patina. The case still have edges in the lug......good sign...not over polished. The second hand and crown looks not original and the hour&minutes hand had been relumed. not a big deal for me.
    I prefer this one compare to your second one in your original post.
    Selling without band is actually a good thing, since you then can shopping for the right match. Most of the time I dont like the strap that the seller throw in for me (also hygiene reason).
    The seller also did not state whether it has been serviced so a trip to watchmaker cost should be included in your calculation.

11. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

Thanks! This is encouraging...

12. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

13. tovewabe Aug 23, 2013

I'm kind of itching to pull the trigger on that Cal 503... Anyone want to dissuade me?

14. ulackfocus Aug 23, 2013

The 3rd one in this thread? You could find one with a better dial for that money, but if patina is your thing I guess you could go for it.

15. tovewabe Aug 24, 2013

Hrmmm.. I haven't managed to find anything with a better dial for anything like that money yet. Anyone want to sell me one? ::money::

So is it really not worth looking at anything from a tropical country? I keep seeing nice (and cheap) ones from Colombia or the Phillipines etc. Like this Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Networkone. I have a lot to learn...

I'm really pretty keen on that 3rd one. Just hope I'm not wasting my money....

16. Mothra Aug 24, 2013

I'd never buy a watch from manila without a movement shot, even if the dial was perfect - and that isn't. Dennis is right - you will find a better dial for the money - but it might take months and i suspect you don't have the patience. Buy the seamaster, quell the itch for now, but keep looking and be aware you'll flip it....

tovewabe likes this.
  17. tovewabe Aug 24, 2013

Trigger pulled. Thanks for all the tips guys. I hope this is just the start of the journey. Actually I know it is... I need to buy a strap next. :thumbsup:

18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Aug 24, 2013