Forums Latest Members

Hollow Ground Screwdrivers in the UK?

1. superclarkey Oct 20, 2016

Hey, interested in getting some precision screwdrivers for adjusting my bracelets.. little help required.

I've bought some crappy eBay type screwdriver off eBay and I find it gets the job done but because of the "V" type tips they tend to want to lift, and even if they don't slip i find it still marks the screw because the contact points are very small, so I feel I apply allot of pressure for no reason when adjusting the bracelets to make sure I don't slip, I've been doing some research and see that you can buy "hollow ground" tips which is what I would like to get hold of next, only issues is I can't seem to find any or listed against the screwdriver sets I've found, Bergoen , VOH etc, so maybe you guys can point me in the right direction of getting a good set in the uk?

I have Omega Speedmaster Pro (new one with screws, Cal.1861) and Omega Seamaster Pro 300m (new ceramic with Cal.2500D) Are the screws used on both the same? 1.4 or 1.6mm?

Thanks in advance.

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2016

The only time I use hollow ground blades is for rounded heads on screws - otherwise the wedge shaped blade is the right profile for the job on flat head screws. However they have to be fitted to the screw slot, and from your description, I'm guessing your blades have not been fitted correctly.

Many people buy screwdrivers, find the blades chew up the slots or have the blade cam out of the screw, and blame the quality of the screwdriver. But it's much more likely to be the fit of the blade, and quality issues are more about longevity and how robust the blade is, rather than the fit out of the package. Blades don't come universally fitted to the slot - that has to be done by the purchaser, and watchmakers do this all the time as part of their daily work. I have more than one set of screwdrivers because different brands, and mostly different eras of watches tend to require different blade profiles - vintage watches tend to need thinner dressed blades, while modern watches tend to need wider profiles to fit the slots correctly.

The wedge shape should go fairly deep into the screw slot, but the blade should not touch the bottom of the slot - should be approx. 0.05 mm above the bottom of the slot. Of course the blade size should be the same as the slot length, so don't use a 0.80 mm blade for a 1.4 mm slot...

Buying a hollow ground blade will not negate the need to properly fit it to the slot - in fact because of the way these engage in the slot it's even more important to fit them properly. If a blade fits the slot right out of package, that's just pure luck...

Cheers, Al

Deafboy, OMTOM and rcs914 like this.
  3. superclarkey Oct 20, 2016

When I first got the screwdriver to use, the blade went to the bottom and was allot of playing because it was hitting the bottom, I didn't even attempt to turn it at this point, I flattened the end of the screwdriver so that it dropped lower and took gap up on the sides, as you say I made it so that it wedged in before fully bottoming out, worked ok, I slipped on the last screw and thats what got me thinking that a properly made screwdriver would be a better fit, even if i had to modify it to the correct width when I got it. Guess its me not the screwdrivers then.

Just I use Hollow ground / curvature type screwdrivers in higher torque applications where I don't want to deform the screw head (on cars, not watches) so thought scaling this down to smaller size would be logical.

Guess not :D

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2016

I don't know of many (or any really) watchmakers who use hollow ground blades for all their everyday work. As I said I use them, but only for specific situations, like this:

[​IMG]

The Panerai Luminor cases use rounded head screws to hold the crown guard on:

[​IMG]

To prevent marring of the screws I use HSS hollow ground blades from VOH in my screwdriver:

[​IMG]

I also use a torque sleeve on the body of the screwdriver to enable more force to be applied:

[​IMG]

Works well, but the fit of the blade in the slot is nearly an interference fit...I just don't find it necessary to use these on flat head screws.

How are you holding the bracelet? Do you have it in a bracelet vice to hold it steady? If not, then I would look into that first, but it's your money so if you want to try the hollow ground blades, go for it. I would expect Cousins might have them or could get them, or you can order direct from VOH - at least I have done that in the past. They make the best screwdrivers available IMO.

Cheers, Al

OMTOM likes this.
  5. superclarkey Oct 20, 2016

Thanks for the details reply, I was looking at VOH, I don't need to buy a set, I wanted really just a single use screwdriver for just doing the links that is able to apply slightly more torque without the risk of slipping, what you've showed me is ideal, if i need to fettle the thickness down of the tip to suit the screw that be ideal, I would presume that you still want the curvature of the shank on the tip to engage towards the top of the head of the screw to take any lash out of it.

Yes I'm being over the top, but I can pay someone £20 to adjust my two watches or I can buy a nice screw driver that is designed for the job and I reduce the risk of slippage, as the screwdriver you've shown above require less driven pressure to keep engaged, where a blade is a ramp angle so its going to lift and reduce contact if your apply torque to it more then normal.

I think what I should of said was, its not as though I couldn't do with a normal screwdriver I was just looking to minimise the risks involved, and not looking for a universal screwdriver that will work on anything, just very much a special tool for the job I want it to do.

hope that makes sense.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2016

I'll just say it again - not if it's fitted properly. I use wedge shaped blades every day for removing and installing countless screws, and if properly fitted you can apply an abundance of torque without cam out. I don't have to apply a lot of downward pressure, but I do this for a living and have a lot of experience, so that is also a factor - dealing with small screws the way you go about things is slightly different, and requires more feel than dealing with larger screws does.

Cheers, Al

7. superclarkey Oct 20, 2016

Totally agree with what your saying, so I was looking for an idiot proof solution for someone with less skill to minimise the risk.

I will take you advice on board though, so don't think I'm not listening, I will go get a set of better than what I have screwdrivers and give them ago, as I think partly I'm to blame, partly the crap I bought is too :D

IS there anywhere in the UK that I can get a set of VOH screwdrivers from, and would you recommend a set to start with? I take allot of ecu's apart at work, so wouldn't be a bad idea to have some precision screwdrivers for daily tasks, as the stuff Snap-On sell is total junk when it comes to there fine screwdrivers. lol

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 20, 2016

Once again, Cousins would likely carry them if anyone in the UK does. I'm not really aware of anyone else in the UK that sells watchmaking supplies and tools...

9. superclarkey Oct 20, 2016

Ok Cheers for your help.

10. keepitsimple Oct 21, 2016

11. superclarkey Oct 21, 2016

Perfect, So I'm going to presume you just buy a 1.6mm screwdriver from them (Purple) for this blade to fit into.

I measured a brand new screw as I had the Micrometer next too me and the screw on my desk. So I can confirm the screw from the Speedmaster is 1.867mm, would be tight to use a 1.8mm? scratch the bracelet?

[​IMG]

12. keepitsimple Oct 21, 2016

Can't really help you about the use of a 1.8mm screwdriver, but you'd have to be extremely careful I think

The horotec one listed is 1.6mm anyway. Perfect for many Rolex bracelet screws. I think there is a Rolex bracelet changing kit which includes hollow ground drivers of several sizes, including this one.

It will probably fit any 1.6mm screwdriver shaft that uses a set screw to hold the blade in place. Would probably fit your "crappy" set :) and is only ~ £3.50, so worth a punt I reckon.

(minor edit for clarity)

Edited Oct 21, 2016
  13. superclarkey Oct 21, 2016

Yeah ordered it with the nice screwdriver anyways, total was £20, the fact I have it forever now means I can adjust my bands when ever required.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2016

Uh, for a 1.8 mm screw, you use a 1.8 mm driver...

15. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Oct 21, 2016

Has anyone tried Berrylium screwdriver blades?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2016

Yes, I have replacement blades in Beryllium

17. superclarkey Oct 21, 2016

Haha thats why i asked if its 1.8mm why does everyone say get a 1.6mm over the 1.8mm screwdriver, whats the reason??

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2016

I can't say what the reason is - because they don't know any better I guess? But I did say above in my first reply:

"Of course the blade size should be the same as the slot length, so don't use a 0.80 mm blade for a 1.4 mm slot..."

So use a 1.8 mm screwdriver if the slot/head is 1.8, and take a small file and knock the sharp corner off each end of the blade at a 45 degree angle. Don't remove a lot, just a bit...once again all part of fitting/preparing a blade for use.

Cheers, Al

19. wristpirate Oct 21, 2016

www.hswalsh.com are based in the UK. They have a couple branches, one in Hatton Garden the other in Birmingham. Their website offers plenty of stock and quick delivery. Would recommend them.

In regards to screwdrivers I've purchased a set of Bergeon ones a while back but never used so can't comment on quality compared to others. They are a reputable manufacturer of watch tools, more than sufficient for hobby use.

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 21, 2016

Bergeon do make some good tools, although they tend to rest on their reputation a bit too much. Of course in many cases they don't make the tools, and are just a distributor...my Horia Jewelling set has a Bergeon sticker on it, and for sure Bergeon didn't make the set.

Many vintage Bergeon tools are of excellent quality, but some modern items, like their screwdrivers, leave a lot to be desired. When it comes to screwdrivers they are overpriced for what you get. Certainly good enough for hobbyist use, but Horia and VOH screwdrivers are both better than Bergeon in my view.

If someone is looking for a basic set of screwdrivers, and you don't want to spring for a full VOH set, this Horia set is very good quality and a great price - I have used my set for years...

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product5317.html

For those in the US, Casker is a god place to deal with - they are god people.

Cheers, Al

wristpirate likes this.