Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee trying to help locate a auctioned Sea Dweller

1. Jking something intelligent and witty... Mar 15, 2017

bristnj, Puma, Jwit and 8 others like this.
  2. tyrantlizardrex Mar 15, 2017

Have dropped the team over at Fellows an email to see if they can contact the buyer and make them aware of the situation/see if they still have the watch, and want to sell. :thumbsup:

Under data protection they sure as hell can't give the buyers details out without explicit consent. :rolleyes:

noelekal, bristnj, Jking and 3 others like this.
  3. adi4 Mar 15, 2017

Agree that strict confidentiality by all involved would be the right idea here. While it would be nice and make a good story to get the watch back to the kid as his father intended, I could see it turning a little ugly if the new owner is pressured into selling/giving away a watch they bought and bringing unwanted attention upon them. I hope his son does find a way to purchase it back though!

4. tyrantlizardrex Mar 15, 2017

5. dialstatic Mar 15, 2017

As the son of a diver who lived through his encounter with the dreaded bends, I sympathise with this. My dad's diver is the most special watch I own - I can only imagine how emotional a piece it would be had he not been fortunate enough to survive. Hope it is found and sold to the kid.

6. tyrantlizardrex Mar 15, 2017

7. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

Just talking to the team at Fellows... no one had contacted them about this.

Hodinkee get a bashing for sure, and in this case are trying to help the kid out, but if they'd done something that took me less than 5 minutes to do, they could have avoided the sensationalist sentence at the end.

Wanna play at being a journalist? Then research the heck out of your story, BEFORE, publishing.

8. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 16, 2017

[\sarcasm] But if they had solved the puzzle all by themselves, that wouldn't make for very interesting reading! Nor would we have shared it or be talking about it! [/sarcasm]

Edited Mar 16, 2017
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

They could have fact checked... Fellows say no one has contacted them about this before the story being posted.

So it's ok to post something with a negative slant against a company (i.e. They won't help, or even respond), without asking the company if they've even been contacted?

Lazy "journalism".

Spacefruit and semper_shells like this.
  10. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 16, 2017

You do realise I was agreeing with you!

11. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

Sorry dude, we NEED a sarcasm font. ::facepalm1::

Spacefruit and Lukeeesteve like this.
  12. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Mar 16, 2017

All good.

13. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2017

Internet standard format is to end a sentence with /s

That's pretty complicated and hard to remember though /s

^ See what I did thar?

14. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

I wish I was as cool as @dsio /s

:thumbsup::whistling:;):cool:

marcn, kkt, Spacefruit and 2 others like this.
  15. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 16, 2017

There are few certainties in life Chris, but one is that you will never be Planeswalking Dungeonmaster cool like me.

IMG_9371.JPG

16. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

You're right Ash... we're just getting to grips with this... I don't like it as much as the Prattchett games we play, but it's ok.. /uncool

IMG_3938.JPG

ahartfie and Spacefruit like this.
  17. dialstatic Mar 16, 2017

You may laugh, but that's the 'cardboard crack' that funded my watch hobby :rolleyes:

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. tyrantlizardrex Mar 16, 2017

And updated:

"A representative of the Spencer family reached out to Fellows in December of 2016 and they went ahead and contacted the seller explaining the situation. Unfortunately, the winner of the watch in 2012 had already sold the piece and would not divulge to whom the watch was sold – all Fellows could do was pass on the contact information of the Spencer family, which they did."

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 16, 2017

I guess the thing to do is to offer the buyer a new one in exchange for the old one. Perhaps they would go for it. Of course you'd have to find them first.

20. dodo44 Mar 16, 2017

It is a nice story that makes for good reading (who does not want to help the son) but I am very ambivalent about the whole approach. It feels a bit like cyberbullying on Hodinkee's part. They invest nothing (who would pass on a feel-good story like that; tyrantlizardrex's update is eloquent) and the person who gets screwed in the end is the guy who now has the watch in his hands. What is he supposed to do, give it away in front of Hodinkee's camera? Who cares about the memories that he created with this watch? This forum and the watch world is full of watches that probably have heart-wrenching stories. They also accompany us in our lives and that's what makes vintage special. That said, I really hope that the son gets reunited with his father's watch. A message for Hodinkee. If you are serious about this, you can offer to purchase the watch on behalf on the son (make a $100k standing offer to whoever owns the watch). That would show some real commitment.

gop76, marcn, Spacefruit and 4 others like this.