Forums Latest Members

Hodinkee throws its cred out the window....or...we're running out of stuff to write about......

1. Unwound Feb 17, 2014

ron n likes this.
  2. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

That thread title seems a bit harsh, I've seen much worse on other sites/blogs. Sounds like the guy's just trying to have some fun with his Speedy. It could be quite interesting if his rig is well designed and scores some nice views on the ascent. I'd be hoping for well positioned GoPro 3+ Blacks to nab some interesting desktop wallpapers.

I do think he might be better off recovering his costs later via Youtube revenue, instead crowd-funding. For $4.5k he should probably fund it himself :)

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

it's not Hodinkee's inititative anyway

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Feb 17, 2014

:confused: Agree this wasn't one of their best horology pieces, but I am still a fan! This one has some appeal depending on your interests. A couple of good examples from Trev above. Lightening up now and then is not a bad thing.

5. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

Yes, but I didn't get the impression anyone was taking it too seriously. Seemed like a light-hearted and fun initiative.

You guys are also perhaps overlooking the fact that any mission failures could end up entertaining too! GPS failure == free Speedy from the sky for one lucky contestant. Or, what about the balloon tearing? Is the Speedy certified for a light re-entry? :D

6. Trev The Architect Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

For those of you who haven't seen it:

sean_mcq, ron n and DLT222 like this.
  7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

THAT is a great portable video camera endorsement

8. Unwound Feb 17, 2014

I agree, lightening up is good, this one just felt wrong to me coming from Hodinkee. That's why They make money with watches and I don't!

I wish they would do some sort of fun budget challenge, like best find in 60minutes or less for $300 tops. They're still one of my top sources for watch
    going on.

9. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Feb 17, 2014

ennyway, I thought well of the President's watches feature that Eric Wind did - quite good digging, worthy of the read.

10. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Feb 17, 2014

+1 on the Presidents' watches story. Good stuff.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2014

Yea I'm a Hodinkee fan and I liked this story actually, its sort of the reverse of Rolex's recent Deep Sea Challenge event, only without James Cameron (And without much money).

12. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 18, 2014

Actually Ash, didn't we discuss doing something similar with Dennis 2 years ago? i.e ; throwing Dennis out a plane door with a Speedmaster strapped to to his wrist and helmet camera? As I recall, the only problem was that Dennis refused to wear a Speedmaster and the Longines out the plane thing was getting old. ::yawn::

Mothra, ulackfocus and JimInOz like this.
  13. ulackfocus Feb 18, 2014

For a Breguet 5197BB I might be talked into jumping out of a perfectly good airplane.