Forums Latest Members
  1. Edwinowl Sep 3, 2017

So I sent my 1970's speedy over to Canada on a recommendation for lapping.
    Good price and as I said recommended several e mails and all went well
    Following the work being completed I was asked if I wanted the case insuring back to the UK which of course is a no brainer and paid around £50 for it to be insured over £500.
    Went on my holiday, when I returned the dreaded HMC card was waiting.
    I know owe them £137 in duty for goods purchased abroad despite the people at the Canadian end stating 'returned merchandise following repair.'
    First time I've been in this position.
    Carrier is parcel force.
    I have original e mails, copy of posting to Canada, copy of order form for work requested.
    I'm gonna have to contact them tomorrow but if anyone has advice greatly appreciated.

2. jaguar11 Sep 3, 2017

Avoid parcel force... You are lucky your watch is back!!!!!! I certainly would not leave my watch in the hands of Parcel Force for a moment longer!! I think you may have issues though as you should have followed a procedure before sending. Try contacting the National Import Reliefs Unit for guidance and in the meantime get your watch back. Good luck! I used STS on my Flightmaster and she looks great!!!
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/hmrcs-national-import-reliefs-unit-niru

3. Edwinowl Sep 3, 2017

Thanks for that. It's a very complex system one I didn't realise would be an issue.
    I'll contact them tomorrow.

4. jaguar11 Sep 3, 2017

It is indeed... It may well be one you have to chalk up as experience but like I say in the meantime I would pay up and get my Speedy back. Don't forget to post a picture:)

5. Edwinowl Sep 4, 2017

Nice one, that your bike btw?

6. jaguar11 Sep 4, 2017

Indeed it is:) Thank you. I hope you have your Speedy back. Don't forget a picture!

7. cristos71 Sep 4, 2017

Pay first and claim your money back later. Happened to me in NL and IIRC 9 weeks after providing them proof that it was mine to begin with I finally received a refund.

gemini4 likes this.
  8. Edwinowl Sep 6, 2017

Yeah done that now. Just hope they see sense and pay up. Ill keep the thread posted