Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Jul 19, 2019

be careful with that drink. You can’t make things better with it but u can always make it worse

wagudc, yande and Als 27 like this.
  2. Observer I know nothing! Jul 19, 2019

Drinking can make a good time better or a bad time worse. Don't know if that's helpful to anyone, but it's a rule of life I learned from my dad, and he knew a lot about drinking.

marco, yande and Als 27 like this.
  3. michael22 Jul 19, 2019

Good luck. Pick a positive thing, & concentrate on that.

4. Als 27 Jul 20, 2019

Walrus
    sorry to hear your news
    i hope your bearing up.
    I'm a scot & i'm an old duffer now
    My thatch is going thin & there
    Is snow on the roof.
    Translated that means a lot less hair & going grey.
    Im an expat in a foreign country...
    Different culture & language...
    Qualified heating engineer & electrician... Self employed
    But so so difficult to get a days work..
    Thankfully my wife is very understanding in that department...
    As she is the main bread winner.
    I gave up drinking 38 years ago
    Never touched it since...
    No beer, wine or spirits.
    No one here can understand
    Why a scotsman doesn't drink
    As we make such fine whiskey
    The reason i stopped was simple ....
    I liked it just a little to much...
    I had no off switch....
    I now dont trust myself to have even 1 drink.... Ever.
    I knew if i continued i would end up pushing up daisies...
    I just advise caution regarding
    Having a drink...
    But we are all different...
    Wish you better im sure you'll come through.
    All the best ... Al's

marco, yande, Walrus and 1 other person like this.
  5. Walrus Jul 20, 2019

Well I speak from experience with the bottle myself. Fortunately past tense. What I meant was when you are in bad times and you try to use substance to dull them, you, or I tend to make things worse. That may not be a universal truth but I’ve seen it many more times than once

KingCrouchy, Rochete and Als 27 like this.
  6. melanieux Jul 20, 2019

Hey can you check back in at some point? Just to let us all know that you're ok.
    Some down time is good once in a while.. but be sure to drop a note here when you're feeling up to it.

CaptainWinsor, wagudc, yande and 2 others like this.
  7. yande Jul 22, 2019

Accountability Captainwinsor. It's a start. Let your mates know how you are going..
    Not sure I could ever say I was suicidal, but at times I didn't like my life.
    Once, I was working, in Roxby Downs - (Australia's largest uranium mine) and my boss whistling away stated, "I wouldn't be dead for quids.." I didn't say anything, but I seriously questioned him in my mind. I did not like my life at all.
    Fast forward a few years, and I was back working for the same guy. He stated the same "I wouldn't be dead for quids" and I was jolted back to that same comment some years prior. I never forgot my thoughts.. If I had of acted upon that negative thinking, I would have missed all the beautiful moments that came some time later, the beautiful thoughts I was having at the very time.. I agreed with him, "Yes, me too!" It still is a poignant memory for me. I had had friends suicide, they never gave tomorrow a chance.
    But that change in thinking did not just happen. I had to do the work. Stop Using, and stop drinking, and feed myself on positivity. Be aware of what I was subconsciously telling myself. Fight the negativity, and for me personally that meant consistantly reminding myself that I was a GOOD person, I was worthy and did deserve all the good things in life. CBT. (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) did the trick for me. I knew I had to change, and CBT showed me how to change. How to re write those old tapes, or in modern terms, install a new operating system!

murph and Als 27 like this.
  8. mjb Jul 22, 2019

Lots of great thoughts here, what a great bunch of guys and gals. My best to the walrus and the captain and anyone else having a rough time of it.

We all handle loss and disability in different ways. I find that it makes me appreciate what I have just a little more, even if only for a short time.

Als 27, JwRosenthal and murph like this.
  9. Walrus Jul 22, 2019

Thanks everything will be fine. Things come and go. Nothing has permanence. My boy captain Windsor shall be fine as well, he had convinced me to seek out a zenith. I shall do so once I straighten a few things out

10. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2019

Yikes, from Seiko to Zenith- that’s a huge leap.

yande and CaptainWinsor like this.
  11. RI Omega Fan Jul 22, 2019

Skipper and I wish you all the best! (You did say you were a cat person)
    29735097-B73F-4E82-9CA0-81A243AFC6BC.jpeg
    I’ve been clinically depressed in the past; I’m fine now. Remember, the pendulum always swings back.

12. CaptainWinsor Jul 22, 2019

Thanks for all the positive comments. It’s so tough at least there’s this place.

13. CaptainWinsor Jul 22, 2019

He wanted an automatic Zenith and I told him to get a 133.8 or 71 instead of buying a manual wind from me

Walrus likes this.
  14. Walrus Jul 22, 2019

Well I’m all over the map with watches. I just filled my last box gotta get a new one. Actually with the seiko if I’m not wearing a watch I don’t have a spot for it. Tbh I looked down on seikos until recently, stupid of me

Edited Jul 22, 2019
  15. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2019

This is a good read for anyone who is dealing with their own darkness

https://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Visible-Madness-William-Styron-ebook/dp/B00BBPVYUS/ref=nodl_

Whenever it got bad for me, and I thought about how there was no point anymore, I was reminded of Styron’s revelation that if he were to kill himself, he would never hear Brahm’s Alto Rhapsody again. I thought of this- all the things that I love and find magical in the world, I would no longer get to enjoy....including the Alto Rhapsody.

Walrus likes this.
  16. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2019

...and for me it is also Smetana’s Ma’ Vlast, Elgar Cello Concerto, Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition, Holst’s the Planets, Pink Flloyd’s Echo’s, and the Allman Brother’s In Memory of Elizabeth Reed (Live at the Fillmore)...to name a few things I would never get to enjoy again.

17. JwRosenthal Jul 22, 2019

I used to as well, then I became enlightened and realized they make fabulous products.

18. Walrus Jul 22, 2019

Read that, also find victor frankyl mans search for meaning helpful

JwRosenthal likes this.