Forums Latest Members
  1. Taybharr Jul 9, 2019

Not sure what you do for a living, but if you need any help in the job search, send me a DM. I may not be able to advise you on jobs in your specific field, but I just got done with business school a few years ago, so all the interview/resume/cover letter prep is still fresh in my mind. It can be difficult getting thrown back out there, and sometimes can be helpful to refresh those skills.

2. wristpirate Jul 10, 2019

WatchShopping likes this.
  3. omegastar Jul 10, 2019

Maybe you could look for a birth year liver and shoulder’s tendons on eBay instead of watches...

Getting hit by life does not mean anything, it’s the way you react that means everything.
    You have all you need in you, you just have to find it.
    Courage.
    Mounir

Walrus and michael22 like this.
  4. Waxtactic Jul 10, 2019

Sending good thoughts your way brother. I hope things lighten up for you and that you find yourself (and your watch collection) in full stride soon. We will all keep you in our thoughts. Cheers!

5. yande Jul 10, 2019

I've been away from this forum for some time.

July 14 2017, I remember that afternoon like it was today. My wife and I were returning some friends who were visiting from China to Canberra where we had picked them up the day before. We had driven them the 2 hours down the Coast to where we live, showed them some sights, had a BBQ, and the next day returned them back to their hotel in Canberra. We said our goodbyes and started our return trip back down the coast. I was looking forward to the 2 hour drive down the mountain and through the foothills. My car is a piece of crap, but I look after it and love to drive.

Just after we had said our goodbyes and got in the car, I noticed my wife taking a tablet, and that being unusual, asked what it was. She stated that she had a headache. That was not usual like it may be for some. A minute or two later I heard her groan and saw her slump into the seat. She calmly stated whilst placing her hand on top of her head, "this is a real headache. Ohhhh." The timing was perfect, immediately in front of me I saw a sign, turn left for the coast, turn right to the hospital. For some reason I did not hesitate and swung right.

12 minutes it took to get to Canberra Hospital, perhaps the best place in the world she could be.. I drove fast enough to be efficient, though not too fast to be pulled over. It was a horrible place to be, driving, powerless to help my moaning wife. 8 hours later my wife came out of open brain surgery, where her brain aneurysm had been “clipped”. She had been cut pretty well from ear to ear, just above her hairline. Nice!. If this had happened at our house, in our town, it would have involved diagnosis in another regional hospital and ultimately, a helicopter trip. 14 days later, (she had a little problem that delayed her recovery) she came home, and 6 months after that she went back to hospital for another brain operation, though this time, on her birthday, she had 3 metres of palladium wire inserted into her brain via keyhole surgery starting in her leg. :Coiling”, it is called. Amazing technology as they coil the wire, yes, 3 meters of it, into the aneurysm, to block the flow. That will be 2 years ago this Sunday. She is as good as gold, or should I say palladium. Not a bad birthday present, even if I did not have to pay for it. Not one cent! I even got to stay at the hospital for those 2 weeks, in residence. Free and no private health cover.

Last year, I came down with Liver Cancer, as a result of contracting Hepatitis C back in 1978. Back then it was diagnosed as Non A, non B, as Hep C was not discovered. Great advances in health have been made this century, and one of them was a non invasive cure for Hepatitis C, problem was, it was expensive. The Hepatitis had been chewing away at my Liver for 4 or so decades. In the last couple of years the Australian Government worked out that, overall, it was going to be cheaper to cure these unfortunates than it was going to be to let them die. (Lost revenue and all.) So, after $AUD 92,000 worth of tablets, (one per day for 90 days) I was not only cured, but diagnosed with Cirrhosis of the Liver. I was then strongly encouraged to have liver scans, (Ultra sounds mostly) every 6 months. These scans ultimately found a spot, which turned out to be a cancerous lesion. Again I had keyhole surgery where they stuck a probe into my liver, turned the heat up and burnt the lesion. I was in hospital one night. The scary thing with Liver cancer is that if there is pain, it is usually too late. I had no physical symptoms. Yesterday, 6 months after my treatment I got the all clear from my latest CT Scan. Things are on the up.

These events are not about me hitting rock bottom, but part of my journey after that, on the way up. 30 years of drug addiction will do that to you. There may be some here that are happy to learn that I no longer drink too!

I live by the adage that “Every adversity in life has the seed to a greater or equal benefit..” Love your partner like there is no tomorrow.. That’s all I can say. Take care Walrus.

Syrte, marco, gostang9 and 12 others like this.
  6. Wryfox Jul 10, 2019

I consider this to be the most important issue. No matter what, no matter how down you are, watch acquisition MUST continue. Life is an empty pot without more wrist candy. I can't imagine what your going through, friend. I JUST CAN'T.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

(You've got some great advice in above posts, friend....just adding some humor to brighten your day.)

7. marturx Jul 10, 2019

Note to myself, stop whining and feel sorry for yourself about small and neglectible obstacles. There are people out there that has serious troubles to handle!

Hope you will overcome also these severe difficulties

Syrte, marco, michael22 and 3 others like this.
  8. JwRosenthal Jul 10, 2019

Some friendly words of advise from someone who hit his bottom back in '12 (lost career of 13 years, divorce from wife & death of mentor/father figure in the same year, unemployed for 6 months):
    Keep a routine. Don't allow yourself to sit and wallow.
    Wake up at the same time you did for work, shower, shave, coffee, etc.
    Get out of the house every day, even if it's just to walk around the block, but don't shut yourself in.
    Stay social- even if it's just online, but keep your brain engaged with other people, it helps not feeling so alone.
    If you know you are going to have a period of free time before the next job starts, volunteer with the SPCA (they always need people to pet the kitties). Being engaged with community or activity keeps a sense of purpose and self-worth.
    And of the utmost importance, communicate with your family about how you are feeling. Don't pretend to be ok if you're not, they can see it all over you and it makes it harder for them to be there for you if you shut them out trying to spare them.

And don't worry, you will get back into a position to buy watches soon enough.
    There is an endless stream of this crap, the supply of watches is not gonna run out.

9. Walrus Jul 10, 2019

Fortunately all my tendons are still in my shoulder the doctor just needs to stretch them out and put them in place with hardware. I had a ruptured tendon in my leg which required surgery and I can tell you tendon surgery ain’t no joke. It’s that damn immobility that gets you, can’t move the repaired area for weeks then the rehab starts. I need to keep things in perspective here, people have been through worse such as the gentleman who shared the issue with his wife. Things will work out, maybe not the way I want them to but they will work out. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

yande and omegastar like this.
  10. Otterina Jul 11, 2019

Hi Walrus,
    I don't think I can be of much help or comfort, but I still wanted to thank you for sharing.
    You don't need me to tell you this, but going through tough times like that since childhood and more decades of downfalls... you are clearly the living proof of how strong you really are. Sending you positive energy for prompt recovery!!

Yande, you and your wife both sound badass. I'm glad that you shared your inspiring story with humour & optimism.

yande and Nathan1967 like this.
  11. Walrus Jul 11, 2019

Hey guys and girls thanks. I am new here and not well known. I’m a member of a boxing forum where I have been since 2013 with something like 12,000 posts or more. I’m on a magic trick forum for years as well. Although I know many at those forums well, even had a meet up in NYC with some boxing buddies once I don’t think I could have let loose all the info I did in the OP. Shame is a bitch. I really didn’t want to tell those close to me what had recently taken place. On a side note they all think my fascination with watches is weird. But here I was able to let loose a bit. I was born in an Irish Catholic marine Corp family. If we needed to express an emotion we excused ourselves and left the table. I had my doubts about sticking it out on this forum. I really like my watch collection, I’m up to about twenty now but most of you here have one watch that blows away my twenty. Envy is also a bitch. So because of this nonsense that just blew through my life my quest for a speedy is put on hold, perhaps indefinitely but who knows what the future will bring. I almost pulled the trigger on that hot orange seiko last night but I want to look around see if I can find one without the day/date. I did see an orient on jomashop of similar color that just had the date. It’s odd being lost a little bit, one thing I did for many years was counsel the mentally ill and I know I did a lot of good. I just had to get out as I was in a program that dealt with sex offenders coming out of jail and it really started screwing with my head. I found myself at a bar after work every night. I do have a plan this week to take my Rolex, some gold jewelry and head down to a shop I know try to make a deal for a DJ if he still has it. What better way to cheer yourself up than a nice watch.

12. JwRosenthal Jul 11, 2019

Walrus, thanks for sharing. I joined not long before you and have felt a kinship with you of sorts, don't know why but I know what it’s like to be misunderstood.
    Shortly after I joined this group I found myself on medical leave from work. I found this place a great solice from the boredom, depression and anxiety associated with too much time on my hands. Stay curious about the hobby and learn as much as you can during your time off.
    Although many here have mega-buck watches, there is a love for all things horological here unlike any other forum I have found- people with ultra rare Omegas and Rolex’s are equally proud of their Seiko Tuna- it’s an iconic watch so what’s not to be proud of unless you are a total snob.

Spend some time in the shallow end of the pool if you have a little discretionary income. Although I have some watches that could buy me a very nice car if I sold them, I love the sleepers that the majority of collectors overlook- Bulova, Gruen, Mido, Elgin, Benrus, Zodiac, Certina, Glycine, Hamilton- all great companies that back in the day were known for quality and can be had at bargain prices today. I would get just as much joy scoring minty $400 Bulova Devil Diver as I would a Speedmaster at 10x the price- it’s about the thrill of the hunt and the love of watches.

yande, murph, Walrus and 1 other person like this.
  13. CaptainWinsor Jul 11, 2019

I feel for you. I wake up everyday feeling like a failure. The meds I take don’t help. So I buy watches and spend time researching my favorite, Zenith. Depression is a serious condition and it has got the better of me

Walrus likes this.
  14. michael22 Jul 11, 2019

Hang in there, people do improve.

15. murph Jul 12, 2019

I have a son, so you can't hang your hat on it but, you now have second dibs. "Ali Bomaye" Cheers speedy.jpg

16. Walrus Jul 12, 2019

I’m perplexed by this post. Nice watch by the way. If it’s me who has second dibs that is a beaut but I can’t hold a candle to your son. I hope he appreciates it.

Edited Jul 12, 2019
  17. CaptainWinsor Jul 19, 2019

I’m in such a bad place right now. Of course drinking doesn’t help but I feel like checking out. I’ll probably be off here for a while. Hope I don’t miss anything good

Walrus likes this.
  18. nurseford25 Jul 19, 2019

Hang in there @CaptainWinsor things always get better. Even when all seems hopeless it's not, it just feels like that when all you can see is darkness. Just remember depression doesn't last forever. Just remember you have a great community of like minded individuals here to support you.

19. JwRosenthal Jul 19, 2019

I have been there my friend. 2012 I thought I had hit my bottom- career was gone, wife was gone- barely hanging on. Things improved slightly and I made it over that hump but my health started having issues 2 years ago (and I am a relatively young man). Things have started to improve in the last couple of months- but I have really worked hard at trying to get a handle on the health issues and work through them with professionals.
    All I can say is, keep determined to get healthy (mentally and physically- they go hand in hand). Stay vocal with friends and family and don’t shut them out. Stay mentally connected to those around you (even here).
    It gets better- it just sucks when you’re in the depths.

Evitzee, X350 XJR and nurseford25 like this.
  20. Observer I know nothing! Jul 19, 2019

I'm glad you all have an appreciation for your watches and a place where you can talk about how you feel. Wish you all the best.

Walrus likes this.