Forums Latest Members
  1. Walrus Jul 9, 2019

hope you don’t mind me dumping a bit. I’m a middle class guy who recently lost his job and now require surgery on my left shoulder as I tore every single tendon holding it together. I also just got out of the hospital after a week and a half as I had an extremely bad reaction to a medication which doctors originally told me I did some serious damage to my liver but by day five everything was performing as it should again. I’m a bit down and out but fortunately this won’t wipe me out as my wife still has her job. It’s funny but what really is bumming me out is the dent this will put in my watch acquisition. Every week I was putting some cash aside in my watch box working my way up to a nice omega. I’ve been scouring the for sales here and Reddit but I it looks like a speedy (my grail) has become out of my grasp. I consider myself very fortunate this situation will for now not effect the roof over my head or food in the fridge. I managed to pick up a 60’s constellation and a mechanical dynamic (still can’t find that damn piece that holds the dynamic to the band but it will come along.)

I have my damn gold quartz Cellini I can’t sell or trade but I’ll put a little more time into doing so at some shops in my area. It’s funny how this crap almost did serious damage to my body and I come out the other side OK but watches are one of my main concerns. I think it’s because I had a pretty good plan going on but it seems my priorities are a bit out of whack. I guess I don’t really need a a speedy anyway, maybe I’ll hunt down that baby monster orange seiko cheer myself up a bit and call it a day on watches for a while. Just figured I’d throw this out as no one knows me and I’m not the type of person who will open up about my problems to my friends. If I may say one thing be grateful and be careful. Situations can change in a heartbeat, but they can change for the better as well. When I was ten years old I got hit by a drunk driver so I learned early life can be tough. I lost friends to suicide and car accidents and am currently dealing with my mother who has Alzheimer’s. I’m very sorry I don’t mean to bum anyone out. I’ve been knocked down before and always come back but it gets tougher to bounce back as we get older. OK enough of this, things will be fine, I’m just curious if any of you got hit with a series of unfortunate events and had a nice bounce back. I also encourage a mod to delete this or just let this sink into oblivion, it may not have been proper to share it here but I felt like doing so due to the anonymity. We never know what’s going to happen next but it always does and it never asks our permission.

2. BenBagbag Jul 9, 2019

Thanks for sharing. Sending my thoughts your way.

3. Walrus Jul 9, 2019

Thank you sir means a lot

4. Professor Jul 9, 2019

Seems like I've seen nothing but unfortunate events for decades. I can say finding this board with such a great bunch of guys has lifted my spirits more than I could have imagined.
    The mechanical complexity and beauty of all the magnificent vintage watches and other time pieces displayed here nourishes the mind and the soul.

Deafboy, neilfrancis, M'Bob and 4 others like this.
  5. Walrus Jul 9, 2019

Isn’t that true. When I was in the hospital I couldn’t wear a watch. I felt naked and bummed out without it. I started asking the nurses what they were wearing. Unfortunately 90% of them wear smart watches but I like how you can put different dials on them. You can make a Rolex dial appear, omega, pretty much any watch made you can have pop up on those smart watches

Otterina likes this.
  6. rkman11 Jul 9, 2019

Sending all the best to you for a quick recovery.

7. calalum Jul 9, 2019

Life can be extremely difficult and challenging (and then we die). Try to keep everything in perspective. Losing a job is not like losing a wife to divorce or a family member to an untimely death, which many of us have experienced. You are fortunate to have a wife who hopefully cares for you and who can help see you through a difficult stretch. Another job will materialize if you want it to. And watches are just objects, which often come and go. More important is your physical and mental health, friends, family, life. Keep that at the top of your mind and you will be fine.

8. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jul 9, 2019

Glad your liver is okay. Now take advantage of that fact and have a couple good drinks.

Good luck with your shoulder. That will have more of an impact on you going forward than losing your job I suspect. Look for the bright spots in life that appear every day, no matter how minor. Enjoy the next nice sunset. Enjoy the feeling the next time your wife walks in the door from work. There are plenty of good things going on, even when things may seem bad. You will have a Speedy at some point, it just may be delayed a bit.

9. Walrus Jul 9, 2019

Funny you say that. I had to run a few errands and there is a new bar in my town having a grand opening. I’m not a drinker anymore but I contemplated stopping in for a margarita but I just got released from the hospital yesterday so I’m still run down. Maybe Thursday I’ll have a pop, it’s not like I have a job to go to.

BlackTalon likes this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 9, 2019

Sending good thoughts your way. :thumbsup:

Walrus likes this.
  11. Dan S Jul 9, 2019

Very sorry to hear about those setbacks coming all at once. Hopefully you will find a new job soon and the shoulder will recover gradually.

Walrus likes this.
  12. ICONO Jul 9, 2019

Very best wishes for a swift and full recovery

On a purely personal level, I have always found this poem by Kipling, has helped me to overcome the various ‘bumps’, that life sometimes throws, at one

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 9, 2019

Best way to change a down to a up is to get out in nature and watch the sun come up a few days in a row.
    Listen and feel the energy of a new day to the insects, birds and animals.
    Fishing I get this pleasure so often.

14. Canuck Jul 9, 2019

Perhaps a feel good (or at least better) message in this song by Rosemary Clooney.

In particular, the words “I figure when you’re down and out, the only way is up!”

gemini4 likes this.
  15. melanieux Jul 9, 2019

+1 on this advice!
    I started running up a mountain at a particularly down time in my life a few years ago.. I haven't stopped yet. Every day I get up at 5a and run till I don't think or feel anything.. and then just watch the sun rise over the city and listen to the noises of nature. Not sure how I could make it through the day, at this point, if I didn't get out there. It truly makes a world of difference.

I'll dig ard my watch drawer and send you an old watch I haven't worn in forever.. just for fun. If you want. It might be a Timex. But it might make your day just a bit funnier.. Not sure why I offered that, but it could be fun.

Hope things get better for you soon.

mjb and jumpingsecond like this.
  16. wagudc Jul 9, 2019

I am quite sorry to hear you are going through a rough patch. I know that things will get better for you. You have the love and support of your wife and that is worth so much. A few times in my life I have had a series of very unfortunate events. Going through rough times helps you learn to appreciate the truly important things and can make you a more compassionate and understanding person. I am not sure if my words will be much comfort, but perhaps these pictures of my puppy chasing her tail will make you smile.
    20190709_185457.jpg 20190709_185443(0).jpg 20190709_185454.jpg

murph and Walrus like this.
  17. verithingeoff Jul 9, 2019

I've had my fair share of knocks, a body riddled withe arthritis, poor health in general and my partner of 60 years died last August. When I get really low I sign on hear and play this

gostang9, Rman, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  18. michael22 Jul 9, 2019

Good luck, sounds like your mind is in the right place.

19. Walrus Jul 9, 2019

Thanks for the puppy pics but as you can see by my avatar I’m a cat guy. (Still love dogs though) I do have one positive thing to report, last time I visited my mother in the Alzheimer’s unit one state over from me I came back missing my Vostok. I thought I left it in the hotel room. Any way it just dawned on me to search the side pockets on the overnight bag I brought with me on my last visit. Sure enough I found my prized Vostok. Sure it’s a Vostok they are a dime a dozen but I really liked it and it had and it’s been around since the days of the Soviet Union. I wouldn’t say things are looking up, things still suck but at least they suck with a Vostok back in my box.

wagudc likes this.
  20. melanieux Jul 9, 2019

well then.. IMG_20190707_162639_817.jpg